E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I get the feeling that they offer no extra performance over 18s. Maybe decreased performance. My reasoning is that all the exotic cars that have 3 times the power come with stock 18s with larger sidewalls. I mean, an F360 or a 6.0 VT can surely take 19s but they never put them on. Even the F360 challenge has 18 inch CH wheels. I don't think Lamborghini, Ferrari or Porsche offers any stock sports car with any wheel over 18 inches.

·
ROI-ndian
288 Posts
its really for looks, like having dubz is pimpin...da biggger da shoe da bigger da balla

datz bottom line lol

·
BMW Land Barge
1,360 Posts
17s offer the best performance on the E46. 18s offer VERY slightly less performance, but are a viable option. You see a significant hit with 19s, although it's not unbearable...

Anyone with 20s should not be driving a BMW.

·
HartgE46
719 Posts
MMJ4mil said:
hey i have 19s, FU
Now that's funny :lmao:

Nick325xiT 5spd said:
17s offer the best performance on the E46. 18s offer VERY slightly less performance, but are a viable option. You see a significant hit with 19s, although it's not unbearable...

Anyone with 20s should not be driving a BMW.
Actually, I heard BMW tests and optimizes our 3 on 18"s. I also read an article in BMWCar where they compared 17"vs18"vs19" and the 18"s won for performance hands down. They said the car felt like a totally different animal and made a world of difference.

I still want 19"s... :tongue:

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
seems that e46 and e39 from what I read...performs best on 17s and 18s...each has their own advantage n disadvantage performance wise....
no comment abt 19s...what was said is true....sadly...but who cares nowadays...:pimpin:

·
Wide Ass on 20's
729 Posts
why is everyone so against 20"? as long as it looks proportional, i don't care what size it is

17's are dinky on an e46..18's look on the small side too..
maybe i m just desensitized

plus i m not on the street being an f1 driver, so i don't really care about "max performance" anyways

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
eh...I'm not all for performance and I'm not even one to push the limits of my tires that often. I love 19s and I'd choose 19s over 18s any day of the week. You can trust me on that, but I seriously think 20s don't look right on any E46. There is a medium and the 20s pass it. They just jack the car up way too much and make the actual car look smaller and off balance. 18-19s look perfect on an E46 I say.

·
Banned
1,414 Posts
I know the traditional thinking is 17s are optimal for performance, but i have to say lightweight 18s are the optimal!!!

light 18s have the shorter sidewall that gives that awesome steering feel and response, but the rims are light enough that u think ure riding on 16s.. no joke

i like my 18s with high perf. tires over my 17s with the same tires.. the 18s are just outright much better performing in EVERY way.

the one negative is if u track ure car with 18s, u better have alot of money to burn on that expensive rubber :)

:thumbup:

of course if u could care less about performance and just want looks, then 19s are the way to go

·
Registered
65 Posts
Nick325xiT 5spd said:
And by what engineering analysis supports that theory? Weight? Angular velocity? Mass? Define "slightly less performance"... There are obviously many factors, but be quantatative and not opinionated :D

·
Registered
56 Posts
i seem to remember that comparison, and they backed up those remarks by lap times and by testing acceleration, braking and handling on a skidpad, if i recall. same car, same rim in 17, 18, and 19, and same tire, so the only variable was the size of the rim.... but i can't remember where i read that article....

·
Registered
2,080 Posts
19s are definitely for show and not performance!!!:D

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
habanero69 said:
And by what engineering analysis supports that theory? Weight? Angular velocity? Mass? Define "slightly less performance"... There are obviously many factors, but be quantatative and not opinionated :D
He's not pulling things out of his arse. There was an actual test in one of the BMW magazines. (BMW Car?) The car w/ 17" wheels got the fastest lap times, and 18" was close 2nd. The conclusion was 18" wheels are ok for people who want looks and performance.

·
my 3rd e46, 1st ///M
1,973 Posts
hbmike said:
same car, same rim in 17, 18, and 19, and same tire, so the only variable was the size of the rim....
i highly doubt that the weight of the 17" equals the weight of the 18" or the 19"

·
Registered
13 Posts
Boys you gotta read...

Gise, Just a note. Ferrari does make a car with 19's. It's called Enzo. The sexiest red head I've ever seen. 345/35/19s In the rear I believe. The new dodge viper also has 19X13's on the rear 18's up front. Performance cars do run 19's. :thumbup:
later j

1 - 20 of 25 Posts