BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ne of you boston people with 19s, what has ur experience driving around the city? how long have you had them, how much damage have you incurred?, how bad does the ride feel on these sh*tty , sh*tty roads? thanks

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
We have bad roads around here??? Where? ;)

I have 17's, and anytime I ride over a pothole, I feel it hard, and I cringe. I drove around on 18's for a year and a half, never dented a rim in Boston, but I scratched two on smaller sized potholes. I would literally be driving down the road, looking no more then 20 feet in front of my hood scanning for potholes. Never hit a big one, but I know with my 18's, I'd dent one within a few months.

Ride quality is pretty subjective, depends on what you are used to. Are you on 17's now?

Chip-

·
mod bug resistant
617 Posts
I've hit a few potholes driving on 17s. It sounded like the car was going to fall apart. Personally, I wouldn't go bigger than 18s in Boston. Roads here suck big time!

·
Registered
322 Posts
I know some people who ran 19s and lived in Boston.
2 of the 4 kids cracked their rim and had to replace the rim (unrepairable). So 50% is not a very good percentage.
I am running 17s and its kind of rough. I couldn't imagine 19s.

·
Registered
928 Posts
carguy84 said:
We have bad roads around here??? Where? ;)

Ride quality is pretty subjective, depends on what you are used to.
Absolutely... You could bend the 17 as easily as an 18 or 19".. you just need to be as diligent as possible. If you are really concerned, then dont go that large!

·
Registered
117 Posts
im gonna run 19's..would go 20s but thats little more money..jus scan the road in front of u... be alert.. 19's look pimp

·
Registered
959 Posts
guys i've run 19" visions in boston for a year w/no problems on the rims. HOWEVER i've had the subframe damage twice due to the rims (on a 30 profile) and the bilstein PSS setup. if you're not on friendly terms w/your svc. mgr (to cover the subframe cost under warranty) go w/the 18's!

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
ari, I am planning on going with 19in. visions, did you get your rims before the drop? If so how bad did they look before the drop? I have the sport 17in. now

·
The Man
338 Posts
i have 18s and i live right off of mass ave in cambridge, it sucks. I avoid the potholes whenever i can. So far no noticeable dents but i have a couple nicks. My car is not even 2 mo old.

If you do get any damage from the potholes in cambridge you can take a pictue of the rim, pothole, etc etc etc and send the bill to cambridge. I have heard many stories of people getting money from them.

One kid sent a bill in for 10,000 german franks and got back 10k us dollars from them. Cambridge is stupid. He had a sl55 with huge rims. All 4 were gone.

Roads to avoid in Boston:
Mass Ave by MIT
Comm ave between BU and BC
Offramp on 93 South to the airport
All of the big dig area
north end

anymore?

·
mod bug resistant
617 Posts
SheriffA said:
Roads to avoid in Boston:
Mass Ave by MIT
Comm ave between BU and BC
Offramp on 93 South to the airport
All of the big dig area
north end

anymore?
Beacon street, right before and after the intersection with Washington St.

·
Registered
959 Posts
suren, the difference in acceleration wasn't all that much when i put them on but i just switched to 18's for the winter and higher speed acceleration is now noticeably quicker. also i went from 19x9 and 10 to 18x8.5

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
mass pike southbound on ramp from allston brighton....right after you pay the toll at the left-most cash booth, I nailed a big-ass pothole.... just when I'm getting comfortable b/c I'm out of the city!!!!!!

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
since this has turned into another boston post, where do you guys suggest I go to replace my stock non-BiX headlights and my fog lights as well?? NE suggestions for bulbs would help too

·
Ballin'
2,443 Posts

Absolutely... You could bend the 17 as easily as an 18 or 19".. you just need to be as diligent as possible. If you are really concerned, then dont go that large!
Well thats just not true....a 19 bends a lot easier than a 17 because its closer to the ground-common sense:tsk:

But I'm sure tirerack would say that cause they want you to get the 19s instead of the 17s......can we say Marketing scheme....

You can go with 19s buts its risky, thats why I got 18s, gives that tiny bit of extra rubber:eek:

·
Bavarian Motor Slave
1,518 Posts
mine havent bent, and i drive them all around the ****tiest parts of the city. But I'm careful.

Wheel qulity is an issue. I'm selling my 19 HM2s if you're interested, they are mint.

My brother bent 2 of my dad's 17 two peice 528 rims on a sick pot hole in Newton, so id agree bending a rim doesn have that much to do with wheels size.

:thumbup:

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
:tsk: :tsk: :tsk: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

You will bend a 19" easier then you will a 17". The only safe thing to do is get some Grand Cherokee rims and tires and slap those bad boys on, then you'll have no worries.

Chip-

·
mod bug resistant
617 Posts
drewcon said:
mine havent bent, and i drive them all around the ****tiest parts of the city. But I'm careful.

Wheel qulity is an issue. I'm selling my 19 HM2s if you're interested, they are mint.

My brother bent 2 of my dad's 17 two peice 528 rims on a sick pot hole in Newton, so id agree bending a rim doesn have that much to do with wheels size.

:thumbup:
Drew, where in Newton? I drive there alot and don't want to mess up my wheels. Thanks.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts