E46 Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
As a 16-year-old kid who got his hands on a 700 dollar beamer, problems are bound to happen.

Recently I just did the shifter bushings on my beamer. Then took out a Sirus XM Transmitter thingy. After that, I didn't touch the car for about a week, then when I went to drive it, my speedometer wasn't working. I already knew about the notorious wheel speed sensors. I cleaned them all but my ABS, DCS, and Speedometer weren't fix. I decided to replace the rear ones. Problem: Still not solved. Does anyone know what the fix is? (I also still have a check engine light from the senors, after replacing them)

Please Help!

·
Registered
2006 325Ci M56 5MT 2004 M3 6MT
1,093 Posts
First thing you will want to do is scan the error codes.

you can use generic OBD scan tools to get standard codes, but using BMW specific scan tool will get you more info.

Search the forum for PA Soft, or BMW Scanner 1.4. You will need to purchase a specific OBD2 to USB adapter for that.

Another scan tool will be INPA, which uses a different OBD2 to USB interface, which will get you more depth for troubleshooting

couple of links to look through, from the Important Threads sticky
https://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=1130405

OBD Fusion
https://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=1240733
by BaliDawg

How to Install BMW Scanner 1.4
https://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=942966
by NumbaOneNewb

BMW Scanner 1.4 for Dummies
https://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=1067835
by nallman

BMW Scanner 1.4 Settings
https://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=935613
by Kmoy2002

How to Install BMW Standard Tools
https://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=1274003
by BaliDawg

·
Registered
4,171 Posts
Lesson one: don't throw parts at the car trying to solve a problem. Use the electronics to pinpoint the issue. Lesson two: when something suddenly conks out, review what has changed -if anything- since it did work. In this case, you worked on the car. So did that somehow cause the problem. Perhaps by accident.
In your case, I wonder if the abs dsc are out because they need the speedo reading? You'll have to find out where the speedo sender is located to see if the wires were disturbed during your work perhaps. But best to either take it to a shop with proper bmw scanner, or get those tools yourself as suggested.

·
Administrator
19,189 Posts
As a 16-year-old kid who got his hands on a 700 dollar beamer, problems are bound to happen.
One of the best new member introductions I’ve seen yet. :clap:
Comical, truthful, and a great opening for whatever.

As already mentioned either get BMW Scanner 1.4 or BMW Standard Tools set up on your Windows laptop. Then you’ll be able to read the ABS module trouble codes and see what’s up.

·
Premium Member
E30M3 Race F10 535 R1150Rt M Coupe
11,387 Posts
Welcome to the madness and the mechanical schooling that will follow. Diagnose/rationalize then repair. You'll be smarter and richer for it.

FYI:
The speedometer doesn't have a speedo cable per se.
Rather the wheel speeds are sent into the DSC (Dynamic Stability Control Module) and used for ABS braking and DSC function.
As long as there's a road speed signal, they grab the signal and send it down the road for use by many other modules. Such as the speedometer, radio (for increasing volume at higher road speeds) and a few others.

Get scanning and look for wheel speed data INTO and OUT of the DSC module.

BTW: Beemers = BMW Motorcycles
Bimmer = BMW cars.

Report your findings and we'll help.

·
Registered
2016 340i xD 6-spd
26,666 Posts
Where was the Sirius 'thingy' and how did you get it out? (I'm just wondering if maybe one of the cluster connections worked loose while you were removing the thingy?

I believe in proximate causes, so reconsider what you did...given your age, you have a lot of fun messing up to do and working out of. :)

So you know, my old '99 328i 5-spd was one of the longest running cars here. 386,321 miles. The work you do will net you an amazing car. When you have it perfect, painted Fern Green Metallic, I'll trade you for my POS 2016 340i xDrive 6-spd...maybe. :)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you all for the suggestions, I will be doing a lot of diagnosing today. The Speedometer still sweeps when I do the Test 2 function and I already did Test 19-21 function. Still no dice glad to know a speedometer gear isn't stripped. I'll report back soon with my findings. Once Again thank you guys so much.

·
Registered
10,748 Posts

Recently I just did the shifter bushings on my beamer. Then took out a Sirus XM Transmitter thingy. After that, I didn't touch the car for about a week, then when I went to drive it, my speedometer wasn't working. I already knew about the notorious wheel speed sensors. I cleaned them all but my ABS, DCS, and Speedometer weren't fix. I decided to replace the rear ones. Problem: Still not solved. Does anyone know what the fix is? (I also still have a check engine light from the senors, after replacing them)

Please Help!

It's a receiver thingy.

What codes are you getting? Without knowing the codes, it's entirely possible that your code has nothing at all to do with the speedo being inop. Wheel Speed Sensors, pretty much any speed sensor, are basically magnets with wires attached. They look at a wheel that is cut sorta like the chain sprocket on a bicycle. There is a reference point where two teeth of the sprocket are joined to make a long one, and the magnetic field expands and collapses as the teeth go by, the magnetic properties cause the sensor to collect metalic dust that does not affect the operation of the sensor. Cleaning wheel speed sensors is generally a futile operation. If the sensor was light based, then cleaning it would make sense. But the magnet doesn't stop working just because it has metal dust on it.

·
Registered
10,748 Posts
The speedometer signal comes from the left rear tire, I pretty sure on that, but not positive. I ask for confirmation here.

If you jacked up the car to remove the tires, and positioned your jack under the lower control arm, then you crushed the wire from the speed sensor, which killed the speedometer input, and this shut down the ABS and ASC/DSC (they are different names for essentially the same feature.

ABS
Looks for one or more tires stopping rotation due to your enthusiastic application of the stop pedal, and the ABS releases braking pressure to the stopped tires so they can turn again, then reapplies pressure then releases then applies, and so on until the other tires have slowed down.

ASC/DSC
Looks for the rear tires to be going faster than the front tires, and applies braking pressure and reduces throttle until all of the tires spin and the same speeds again.

ABS and ASC need to know the speed of the car, if the car is going too slow, the ABS turns off. If the ABS is off then the braking capability it gives to the rear tires will not be there, so the ASC also goes off. Get your speed signal figured out, the ABS and ASC will come back online by themselves.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
As already mentioned either get BMW Scanner 1.4 or BMW Standard Tools set up on your Windows laptop. Then you’ll be able to read the ABS module trouble codes and see what’s up.
I installed INPA and scanned the car, "130 Signal CAN ASC 1" Showed up. I'm doing some research as I type this but still can't find anything about it. Im gonna run a few more tests with INPA and see what comes out of it.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.