BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
is there any way that i could use the OBC hidden menu to show the accurate level of my gas?

my 328i didn't start for a week thinking it was the fuel pump because the gauge was showing more than a quarter left. when we popped out the fuel pump, the tank was bone dry. it turns out i didn't have any gasoline. we put the new pump and pulled the floater and the gauge barely rose.

please help me because it's hard to guess everytime if i need to put gas or not. thanks!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
because we connected the new fuel pump assembly and raised the floater manually. it just moved a little bit which it should move all the way to full if it's working. anybody knows how to use the OBC panel to show how much fuel i got?

·
Registered
26,308 Posts
I thought...thought, that the side of tank (rt. side) with fuel pump, was not the side that sent the fuel level to the gauge...which is, if I remember what I've read here, is behind the driver (left side) tank.

I believe the sender with fuel pump is so the lobes of the tank stay somewhat balanced--

So, believe your issue with gas level gauge is on the other side from which you worked.

If you search for fuel sender, think you'll find a diy for cleaning that sucker so you get proper level.

Also, don't let tank get below one quarter tank, reset mileage too and don't go over, say, 250 miles or so. If you just use your mileage indicator as your new gas gauge, you can actually do fine without functioning sender.

Also, not to be a pitb, but if you ran tank dry, don't be surprised if you notice some lack of power...that might be the fuel filter clogged from the gunk it picked up from very bottom of tank...through fuel pump (which if new could take it), but into fuel filter, which if not new, might not be able to 'take it' without your noticing it.

HTH

Doug

1 - 7 of 7 Posts