BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The bottom of the passenger door fills up with water when it rains but I cont see where the water is comming in from even when I go through a car wash. Any ideas?

·
Registered
247 Posts
Vapor barrier.

·
Registered
26,412 Posts
The bottom of the passenger door fills up with water when it rains but I cont see where the water is comming in from even when I go through a car wash. Any ideas?
Door drains and vb. Search me and drains for location...on phone...tough typing on it!

Sent from my ADR6300 using BimmerApp

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
just to be clear: The inside pocket in the door panel is what is filling up with water and it is a lot of water, sometimes it is almost full after it has rained all night

·
Registered
26,412 Posts
find door drains...look in outside corner 1" in/ 1" up from corner...you'll find dowward facing square drain...see if you can pull gunk out with dental pick...or if you fix VB, then clean it then.

Get some clips for the door panel in case you break them...and look for other drains on other doors too. Water is supposed to get in, but not into car, and is supposed to drain out...hence the drains. If you'd had any work done in door...speakers, regulator, etc...then probably have some wire remnants on top of the pine needles, etc, that will accumulate over the years...but water will get in between seal and window.

If it's getting into car, then the VB isn't sealed at the bottom or has holes, rips in it and should be replaced....Oh, sorry...inside door pocket? Then almost definitely the VB...make sure it's well sealed on the bottom...many threads on leaks...you'll find what guys use...some use the butyl tape from dealer, others find some similar stuff from auto store...others use 'other stuff' but you'll want something you can remove, but which seals.

But, sounds like your VB is ripped, (maybe not...but see if you can get one from dealer and ask if you can return it if you don't need it...can't be that expensive.

Oh, just make sure it isn't a failed door gasket in jamb or on top of door that's failed...and water is running down from top...haven't heard of this happening...but who knows. GEt someone to hose down car while you're in it!

Doug

·
Registered
802 Posts
Drain holes are on the bottom of the door. You can see them from the outside (of course) by looking up from the bottom.

vb = vapor barrier

If the drains are clogged in one door, you'll want to check all the door. If the other drains are clogged (or slow), blow them clear before winter to prevent prevent the freeze/melt cycle that can crack the drains and make more leaks.

·
Registered
541 Posts
just to be clear: The inside pocket in the door panel is what is filling up with water and it is a lot of water, sometimes it is almost full after it has rained all night
I had exactly that. The water was coming out of the speaker that is above the pocket. I took the door skin off. Someone had cut the lower half of the vapor barrier off and thrown it away. I assume they did this to change out the window regulator. They had also forgot to tighten the airbag bolts (one was already missing) and some of the other screws. The only cure was to replace the barrier (and missing bolt).

·
Registered
787 Posts
Mine all leaked in my 02 a couple years ago. I put up with it for almost a year and had taken it to my indy shop. They "ran it under the hose" and "taped it up with duct tape" (dumb as&&es). I switched indy shops after that experience.

Took it on myself.....bought a roll of 3M Windo-Weld at the local auto parts store. Great stuff. Black sticky butyl ribbon is what it is.

Open the door panel. See that the vapor barrier is open on the bottom. Take hairdryer, get the existing butyl warm and sticky, maybe add some new butyl, then press it all together hard and it will seal up.

Presto magic.....no more leaks for the past couple years. I forget how much the 3M was but it wasnt bad. Labor time for me was about 20 mins per door but I was trying to get it nice and hot and sealed up.

Just noticed after drenching my car that the right rear door jamb has some water sitting on it.....will go in on Saturday to check it as it might have separated a bit. Other 3 doors no evidence of water on the jamb.

If I have to spend an hour every couple years touching up these VB seals, I'm ok with that.......

1 - 14 of 14 Posts