BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
968 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So I ordered a single 18x9 ET45 wheel from Tire Rack (thanks Gary!) to test whether it would fit up front, and the results are: negative. The wheel contacts the strut. But it's damn close. You'd need something along the lines of a 10mm to 15mm spacer to fit any appreciable size tire. The only reason I could see for running 18x9 up front would be to fit 265/35/18, but one would be much better off with 18x8.5 and 255/35/18. Just an FYI for all you folks out there contemplating wheel purchases.

Oh, and those same spacer thicknesses will allow the RG-R to clear the Stoptech 355mm kit (with the ST40 caliper).

·
(\OO\ (||)(||) /OO/)
787 Posts
If I don't sell my car by the end of April, I'll just wind up holding on to it. If that's the case, I'm going to test fit my rears onto the front (18x9 et41 with 255 tires) to determine if I can reorder some 18x9.5 rears with 265's. I'll post the results here if it works with my drop.

Interestingly enough, the Hartge site shows their 19x9 et46 wheels with 255's will fit the front of non-M E46's...
http://www.hartge.de/html/wheels.html
So it must be a really close fit.

BTW- Dinan says you can fit a 17x8.5 et40 up front with a 255 tire.

·
Registered
968 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Apparently, 19" is a whole different ballgame. The front struts are angled inward, so the larger diameter wheel you have, the more inward clearance you have. I have ordered the MrMotorwerk setup (18x8.5 ET38 with 255 all around), hopefully it will work out.

·
(\OO\ (||)(||) /OO/)
787 Posts
I assume it's rubbing when the suspension is at its fullest extension, not when it's weighted down, right? If this is the case, then it's pretty unlikely that you'll make any contact in "normal" driving situations, but still a possibility.

Good luck with the MrMotorwerk setup... let us know how it turns out. :thumbup:

·
Registered
968 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, the angle of the front strut is fixed relative to the hub surface, so rubbing against the strut won't be fixed by suspension compression. Also, even if the tire ends up clearing, you have to leave enough room for some tire flex. AndyZHP tried 18x8.5 ET50 with 255 up front, and, while initial clearance was good, he noticed evidence of rubbing after driving around a bit.

·
(\OO\ (||)(||) /OO/)
787 Posts
I see. But as the suspension compresses, the angle of the strut *should* change a little, otherwise the wheel/tire would go up and into the wheel well instead of just up, right? (Man, this is impossible to explain in text :) ). But you're right, the angle of the strut changes very very little if at all. Was AndyZHP's attempt using his rear wheels? If so, he should try it with a 10mm spacer to get the offset down to 40. I'd be willing to bet a free lunch that this would work for him.

·
Registered
968 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
With a fixed angle between the strut and the hub, the wheel can still move inward as it moves upward - this is due to the strut actually being at an angle. The advantage of it being fixed is, as the wheel moves up and down, it doesn't change camber (much). The little difference in camber is due to the fact that the control arm is a fixed length and moves along an arc. Double-wishbone suspension is preferable to McPherson strut for this reason.

Yes, AndyZHP tried his rear wheels up front last December. He ended up going with 265/35/18 all around on 18x8ET45 in front and 18x8.5ET50 in back (M72 wheels) for the track, and as far as I know, is still trying to figure out his street setup.

·
(\OO\ (||)(||) /OO/)
787 Posts
Wow! 265's on an 8" rim?... that's pushing it. I can't remember, did he state he was getting H&R CupKit? If so, has he installed it yet?

·
Registered
968 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Heheh, it's actually overpushing it, I don't know of a 265/35/18 tire that is allowed by the manufacturer to mount on anything narrower than 9 inches.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts