BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Banned
2,289 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, still doing more research on wheels before I finally decide which ones to purchase.

My next dilemma is wheel size. 18 or 19 inches?:dunno:

I love the look of 19 inches, but I want to stay with a totally stock suspension setup and do NOT want to do any body modifications (i.e. fender lip roll). I'm not worried about ride quality, as I'm purchasing wheels for performance and aesthetics and am willing to sacrifice my ride.

I've heard that I can go with 19 X 8.5's in the rear without any modifications and no rubbing whatsoever?

I appreciate the advice!:thumbup:

·
Banned
1,354 Posts
yea you can man. just dont go with tires wider than 265/19. i have 255 and they dont rub on my ride.

my ride is also dropped quite low

·
Banned
2,289 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Gary,

Since you're the resident expert, I'd rather just ask you what you'd personally recommend. If you had a 2001 330Ci and didn't want to do any modifications to the body or suspension, what size wheels and tires would you get? Thanks!:thumbup:

·
Registered
6,617 Posts
Its really a matter of personal preference. 18" will ride more softly and be more economical. 19" looks better cosmetically, but will ride more firmly and are a bit more likely to bend on a large pothole. I roll on 18" but I only have an E36 M3, not as much clearance as the E46.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Go with 19x8.5's all the way around.........especially if just looking
for appearance. I have OEM 18's now and will be changing to
19's (but with a staggered fittment).

By the way.........get something with a lip (preferably polished)!!

·
Owner
4,061 Posts
If you don't drop your car at all, it would actually look better with 18's. If you have 19's and no drop, the car looks raised up due to the low profiles on the tires.

·
Banned
2,289 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah, maybe I should go with 18's for now until later when I can afford some nicer wheels and a drop. Like I said, I'm in college now so I want to improve the styling of my car but can't spend ridiculous amounts of money....yet! So maybe after college I'll do a coilover setup and some big 19's and a drop etc etc etc, but for now I just want to get something other than the M68's (which are still nice wheels). Any recommended sizes for 18? Should I stagger? Thanks again for the advice guys...

·
Registered
408 Posts
Here are some 18" setups you could use...

All around.... 225x40x18x8
All around.... 235x40x18x8.5
BMW OEM staggered setup..... 225x40x18x8 front
255x35x18x8.5 rear
Staggered setup..... 235x40x18x8.5 front
255x35x18x8.5 or 9
Also try and get wheels with an offset of et40+ so there isn't any chance of rubbing.... And whatever you do...DO NOT put 225mm tires on an 8.5" wide wheel.. They are too small and the wheel will stick out past the tire....

·
Obey my dog
2,644 Posts
if you aren't going to drop it, i would go with OEM 18"s. IMO, aftermarket wheels look funny without a drop (expecially 19s)

·
Registered
26 Posts
i have 19x8.5 all around with stock suspension and i have had no problems with rubbing. i am satisfied with the looks of the car without a drop but 19s w/o a drop isn't for everyone so i would just say to look around at pics and see what you like best.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts