E46 Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, I just got my first bmw a few months ago and love it! 2001 325ci convertable. It came with style 45s and I want to get a new set of rims for summer and use the old ones for winter tires. I can't decide whether to go for 17s or 18s. I want to run a balanced set up. This is my everyday car and I do take the occasional long trip in it, so I'm concerned about 18s being to rough, especially on the crap Omaha roads where I live. But I would like to improve the handling a bit so I can take it to the track a few times a year. But ultimately I want a good balance between handling, comfort, and economy. Any advice would be appreciated.

·
Registered
2,190 Posts
Ride felt no different when i made the switch from 17s to 18s, NJ roads are rough and im doing fine even with my cupkit. The real difference comes with 19s, way way too much sacrifice for the looks. Good luck

·
Banned
7,267 Posts
18's are the magic number for these cars.

That said, if I could do things over again I would choose a lightweight set of 17's or just some ZHP wheels.
I had the style 45's as well, and with 18's the ride barely changed at all. Overall, the weight per wheel only increased by 2lbs.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the replies. Right now I'm having difficulty deciding between the following (all on tirerack.com and in hyper silver or equivalent).

enkei raijin (my current favorite)
enkei lusso
asa gt5
asa ar1

I like the look of VMRs but they are quite a bit heavier than the raijins. the ASAs are more on there for budget reasons, but as I look at the difference between weights and estimate their effect on gas mileage, it seems to me that spending a little extra for a lighter wheel will more than pay for itself over the life of the car (assuming you leave the lead at home :p ).

·
• DFW •
1,929 Posts
F it, I just went with Rajin 18s"

·
Registered
10,584 Posts
18s over 17s for sure! 18x8.5/18x9.5 staggers are really popular among our E46 customers.
I like the look of VMRs but they are quite a bit heavier than the raijins.
Our wheels are comparable in weight, if not lighter, than OEM wheel and tire combos, while generally being wider. For everyday driving, I don't think you'd notice much of a difference in gas mileage.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.