BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone! Thanks for letting me join the forum!
I ready your sticky on searching and I searched around here for information about the cost of this but I didn't find anything really.

So the short story is that I have a 2001 330xi with 135k on it. I took it into the dealer to get it checked out and they gave me this quote...

TRAILING ARM BUSHING/ALIGNMENT $1707
I've since looked on youtube and this forum(and others) on what it would take to do this job. It looks pretty simple honestly. I think I could do it. But the dealer said that it required dropping the whole front end of the car. Which confused me because I "think" that the "Trailing Arm Bushing" is in the back of the car? Not sure that's correct.

So I'm wondering if they actually meant something else other than the description there or if I'm totally missing the boat in some way.

Also, I'm not sure how to check if this is bad. The car handles ok and there's no odd tire wear that I can see.

They also gave me this quote
REAR SPRINGS $634
They said that one of the rear springs is actually broken and needs to be replaced.

So that's nearly $2500 for a 10 year old car in repairs. I've already put over $1000 into it after I bought it just for regular maintenance type things.

Any guidance here would be helpful thank you very much!

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
don't take it to a dealer; BMW's are nothing exotic. As long as you find a good independent BMW shop, your car will get the care it needs.
Service dept/managers are not mechanics; they don't have your well-being as #1 priority. They are on commission and are there to sell. They often talk out of their other whole; your recent experience is proof.
Don't replace the rear springs only; if you are going to do that, replace all 4 corners at the same time.

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
dropping the whole front end? that alone sounds fishy. I don't know anything about trailing arm bushings on an xi but that seems way overpriced. Springs shouldn't be that much either.

·
Registered
245 Posts
WOW! That is not cool! They need to be b*tch slapped for that quote! A dealership alignment should be no more then $150 and RTAB's, you are correct (Rear Trailing Arm Bushings) require a tool that you could buy for $100-$250 and DIY in an day then help your friends do theirs or sell the tool even and make some $ back. They are just talking out their a$$ and trying to rip you! An Indy shop should charge half $500 max including parts for RTAB's and alignment from my experience... Rear springs are very easy to do yourself also, just disconnect the reas shock at the bottom (1 bolt) and push down on the controll arm and they should come out without compressing the springs (easier with a friend though) Make sure to locktite the bolt when putting back in! Good Luck

·
Registered
28,448 Posts
WOW! That is not cool! They need to be b*tch slapped for that quote! A dealership alignment should be no more then $150 and RTAB's, you are correct (Rear Trailing Arm Bushings) require a tool that you could buy for $100-$250 and DIY in an day then help your friends do theirs or sell the tool even and make some $ back. They are just talking out their a$$ and trying to rip you! An Indy shop should charge half $500 max including parts for RTAB's and alignment from my experience... Rear springs are very easy to do yourself also, just disconnect the reas shock at the bottom (1 bolt) and push down on the controll arm and they should come out without compressing the springs (easier with a friend though) Make sure to locktite the bolt when putting back in! Good Luck
It's loctite, not locktite. And you're not supposed to loctite the lower shock bolts. Torque to 46 ft-lbs and you're golden.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Wow, thanks guys!
You have confirmed my suspicions!

I'll have to find a BMW shop around here some where and have them check it out. At this point I almost question if the parts are actually bad on the car.

I found some videos on youtube also on how to do RTABs http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5HKeZ-tE908

Doesn't look too complicated. One of them shows the tool that you guys mentioned.

Cool thanks guys!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts