BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 87 Posts

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello guys, my names lucas and i recently just started driving. i currently drive a Dodge Hemi Ram 1500, and live in morristown NJ. But lets get past the introduction.

although im not new to BMW's im a first time buyer. I recently turned 17, and although several of you are rolling your eyes that someone my age is pursuing a bimmer, i find myself enriched in the style and comfort and performance of them. Besides that, i need help from all you advanced Forum users. I need help finding an e46 (non m3) 3 series in North Jersey For under 15k? to narrow it down a 325 or 330 ci or i. Preferrably leather seats and milage anywhere under 100k.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Having gotten my first bmw at 17, I'd say stick with the 325

i recently picked up a nice 325xi certified pre-owned from the dealership for 14,500 with 85K miles, its in very very good condition (especially mechanically) for a car w/ 85K miles, but its not too hard to find one under 15K these days. plus i know xi's went for more new so i think they add a tiny bit to resale.

edit: quick autotrader search.. (i randomly picked a place in NJ and said "within 500 miles" you can edit to your area)

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/searc...=15000&num_records=100&seller_type=b&make=BMW

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks for the input, and yes i think they sold for more new because of their all season appeal with the all wheel-drive system (xi), despite the advantages, id much rather have the 3.0L v6 that comes with the 330 series!

·
Registered
22 Posts
I know you would much rather have it, but between gas costs theses days and sheer not killing yourself - id still suggest a 325, i can name a few times where if i had the 330, especially in rwd instead of awd, i probably woulda killed myself heh (keep in mind im only 20)

im assuming your parents are paying for it, or most/all is from trading in the truck, but keep in mind costs to upkeep, repair, etc etc

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i can disregard gas costs since my hemi gets 7 miles to the gallon, and performance/safety wise i think i could equally compare it to my truck, as they have similar power to weight ratios based on gwvr. But i will be paying for it in full, i've got about 11,XXX in a savings account from my job right now. My dad would only pay insurance and for an aftermarket/ 3rd party warranty.

·
Registered
994 Posts
Don't make the mistake I did at your age. Go for a 330 trust me. Or you will end up unhappy like I am. doing something stupid and crazy like an s54 swap.

Sent from my ADR6300 using BimmerApp

·
Registered
4,009 Posts
woahhhhhhh wait a minueteee hereeee peeps. im 17 b-day is on the 30th of this month :D haha i had a range from 15-20k and my 330ci is just to slow for me right now... dont expect any sort of blistering speed effect from e46's excpet m3... e46 m3 is fast and i wanted it but mantinence is just too much... 330 is perfect for your first car.. you will regret getting a 325.. maybe... now remember if you can find a 325 e90 in that price range it will rape any e46 non-m... i had a e90 06 330i and damm that thing zipped like no other.... e90 325 i believe has 235 hp and e46 330 has 225 :(.... i like e46 bodystyle but the e90's peppiness.. up to you.. but honestly you will be just satisfied for a little bit with your 330 but after a while like me your just going to want to make it faster... go k&n intake and uuc tse-3...

and p.s. your dodge would take a dump on any e46's face if it has 380 hp maybe..... and no you wont kill yourself with a e46 non-m and you are perfectly fine not getting a xi.. if you happened to do a custom header or short shifter much more extensive removing of undercarriage is neccessary to reach objective components under your car. and if you do get a 325 make sure its a ci :D have a good one

Steven

·
Registered
22 Posts
yeah i haven't driven an e46 330, only the e90 335 which i think has 300 hp, I say drive both and see which one you like. the majority of the time you'll be driving 10 over the speed limit anyway, so realistically id say go for the better gas mileage one but coming from that truck.. anything is better :p

honestly im just sticking with my 325xi till i save up for a lotus s240 <.<

>.>

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Anything can beat spend $88 to fill the Tank in NJ. But i just got a Beltronics v955 and its a great little tool, hit 110 in the truck last week after getting new all season tires. i think thats where it tops out(which is where my beemer would come in ;)

·
Registered
994 Posts
Lol I'm almost ready for my swap. Just looking for 6 speed tranny now. But 330 or m3 is the way to go. My 325 just doesnt make the cut.

Sent from my ADR6300 using BimmerApp

·
Registered
22 Posts
Anything can beat spend $88 to fill the Tank in NJ. But i just got a Beltronics v955 and its a great little tool, hit 110 in the truck last week after getting new all season tires. i think thats where it tops out(which is where my beemer would come in ;)
this justifies my 325 argument, assuming you didnt take the truck to a track day, i (and my fionce) were nearly killed by someone in your exact truck going about 100 on a side road, totalled my first 3 series and re-aggrevated an old injury of mine. she had a type 2 concussion and is still suffering post-concussion symptoms to this day :tsk:

In no way am i saying you are a BAD driver, im just saying.. you hit 110 in a truck, even on a highway thats not a great idea (When i first got my 325 at your age i hit 155 limiter on numerous occations and im lucky i didnt kill anyone/myself)

heres the front, he barely clipped me if it was full on i woulda died easy

·
Registered
157 Posts
I say go for 330 then when you have the extra money sell or trade it in for a M3... My first car was a Volks passat W8 bought it when i was 17 when i turn 20 i bought the 330ci for my summer fun toy, now am 23 am going to trade it for M3 soon. I think alot of people start from 330 and move up to M3. I got some friends that started with 325 got tired of it really quickly and trade for 330 soon enough. Hope you find something good !!

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I understand that some people can be rediculous *******s while driving, and as crazy as 110 in a pickup sounds, i try to be somewhat responsible as in my distance from nearby cars and keeping braking distance in mind. sorry about your 325 though. brawler im looking into the 330's then definitley gonna grab an m3 post college.

·
Registered
3,118 Posts
I'm 18 bro and dont buy a 325 or you will regret it like me...and screw the xi. Go with the rwd. Look for a one with the sport package.

Good luck

Sent from my MB200 using BimmerApp

·
Registered
435 Posts
IMHO a ZHP 330i will be your best bet unless you can scratch together the dough for an M3. Just don't be surprised when you have to pay to maintain the BMW.

·
Registered
212 Posts
I understand that some people can be rediculous *******s while driving, and as crazy as 110 in a pickup sounds, i try to be somewhat responsible as in my distance from nearby cars and keeping braking distance in mind. sorry about your 325 though. brawler im looking into the 330's then definitley gonna grab an m3 post college.
You know the problem for us young people ( im 19) that in 3-4-5 years when you graduate and maybe have money for an M3 the cars are gonna be 10+ years old, which really sucks, because it will be harder to find a good low km m3, im not saying that you wont be able to but its gonna be much harder. I wonder what will happen with the e46 m3 in 10 years.

On a side note in 3-4 years the price of an m3 should go down a little bit i suppose, so should be easier to buy althought they are more expensive to maintain ;(

1 - 20 of 87 Posts