E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Figured I'd ask here being a wheel and tire forum and don't know of many other BMW forums yet. I've had this debate before about what size to run on the track with my GTI (17 or 18) and the debates of weight, rotational mass etc all came into play. I figure that will be the same when deciding which size to put on a BMW but am not very familiar with the BMW world yet. I'm not looking for :pimpin: so 19s may be out of the equation immediately.

I guess the question is, should I run the 18s that come with the performance package on the track, buy a set of lighter weight 18s specifically for the track, or drop down to light weight 17s for the track? Looking for best performance, handling, etc. I don't care about 1/4 mile times. I care about how well the car will corner and how fast it will come out of a turn.

Also, if anyone knows of other forums that has racing/motorsports info, the links would be appreciated :)

Thanks

·
Slow in, slower out
4,651 Posts
For a 323/325/328/330, a 17" wheel is the best solution among those options. 17s weigh less and cost less than 18s. Also, there are very few R compound tire choices for 18 inch wheels. Hoosier has the best 18inch R compound coverage and Hoosiers are the most expensive. Unless you are running severe spring rates (triple the stock rate or higher), the car will not benefit from the shorter sidewall of an 18 versus a 17.

Ed

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the replies/info/PM/links everyone... much appreciated and very helpful. :thumbup:

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
FWIW, I'm selling a set of Fikse FM-10s that are the same size all around (18x8), would be a perfect track or autox wheel! :) Lemme know if you are interested...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts