E46 Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys,

I bought a 2000 323ci Cabrio about 6 months ago as a project car. The car was in a minor front fender accident. The owner bought it running, had the damages repaired, then while at the bodyshop asked them to paint the engine bay. They did the job, and while the engine was out it was decided to swap in a Manual Transmission.

The car went back together, and once it was back nearly one piece they found that it would not crank. The dash lights up, but it seems to be in limp mode- for example the little orange light on the shifter is on all the time, even when the car is off, and the blower always comes on with the turn of the key. It does not retain the settings that were in effect the last time the key was "on". This is where I came in.

From what I can see the swap was done semi properly, meaning that most of the parts necessary for the swap were swapped in- as far as modules and sensors go. However I found many loose ends.

I decided the best thing to do was to put the auto tranny back in, seeing as I had all of the parts, then narrow it down from there. I did so, and all of electrical seems to be in order now, but the car still would not crank.

I originally suspected the key or the EWS, because the starter motor doesnt seem to get the signal with the turn of the key. When I cross the terminals the car cranks.

Anyways the car was at the dealership this week, and the diagnosis spit out 13 pages of codes. The main ones (first page) were all related to the DME system- specifically faults with the throttle sensor and pedal-travel sensor (short circuits??). The EWS and keys were not one of the faults. So now I have a problem somewhere between the EWS and Starter solenoid. I had the DME and EGS reprogrammed to the original specs thinking that the manual tranmission may have caused some confusion in the DME. This was not the problem.

The technician then suggested reprogramming the Instrument cluster module (KOM), the light switching module (LSZ or SZM, not sure) and something else (IRH??) but the programming was unsuccessful due to other problems within the circuit not allowing it to accept the reprogram.

So getting back to the diagnostics, I now have the car back in my possession and plan on starting at the top, but at least I know the modules are good. Saying this, I am going to start by locatiing the pedal travel sensor and throttle sensor, which I believe is located in the throttle body (correct me if I am wrong), then seen if there are any shorts or maybe the plug is bad. Maybe I will replace the sensors if the wiring looks good.

A few things to note here:
1. The fuel pump blows the fuse when ever powered- when pump is unplugged under the seat, the fuse does not blow but car still does not crank.
2. The URS rollover is showing up on the diagnosis??

Can anybody help me out? This thing is driving me insane...

-Dan

· Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Is there a way I can find this out? As far as I know the car has the original EWS in it and it does not seem to be throwing EWS faults?? That was my intial thoughts but it sounds to be okay?? The technician said the EWS is getting the signal from the key.

· Registered
2000 E46
5,080 Posts
Sure EWS may be gettign the info still doesn't mean BUBBA the hack that installed this stuff didn't swap that module out. In the ID screen of the EWS there should be the vin number.

Also the EWS needs to see the park input or clutch switch to start. depending on what coding is in the car. Has the EWS been recoded for the Auto again??? Does the EWS see park and nuetral???

· Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
As far as I can see the EWS is good, otherwise it would have shown up on the diagnostics?? I am wondering if the EWS is seeing the park signal though? There is a cabke running from the shifter to the steering column to allow the key to be turned to the off position but only if the car is in park. I would imagine this sends the signal to the ews as well.

As i say almoost all of the faults are related to the dme- thottle sensor & pedal travel sensor. Maybe the one of these sensors is malfunctioning and the dme wont allow to crank the engine, in fear that the rpm could be anywhere?

· Registered
2000 E46
5,080 Posts
As far as I can see the EWS is good, otherwise it would have shown up on the diagnostics?? I am wondering if the EWS is seeing the park signal though? There is a cabke running from the shifter to the steering column to allow the key to be turned to the off position but only if the car is in park. I would imagine this sends the signal to the ews as well.

As i say almoost all of the faults are related to the dme- thottle sensor & pedal travel sensor. Maybe the one of these sensors is malfunctioning and the dme wont allow to crank the engine, in fear that the rpm could be anywhere?
Diagnostics don't show everything. The computer is not magic it does not magicly tell you whats wrong with the car. You still have to no what you are looking at

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.