BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2000 323 Ci and I've got a radar detector mounted on my windshield right under my rear view mirror and would like to wire it in up above rather than have a phone cord hanging down across my dash and plugging into my cig lighter. In the plastic panel where the motion sensor goes, I've found 2 plugs, one black, one white. I am only assuming that one is for the motion detector (which I don't have) and the other is for the Universal Garage Door Opener (UGDO). The 12VDC should be the green/blue wire but there is no green/blue wire in either plug. Is there another wire bundle shoved up in the headliner somewhere that I can't see and have to fish out? Is one of those wires in the two connectors usable? I'd prefer to use something existing rather than run new 18GA wires up the A pillar etc. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't have a sun roof but one of those plugs could be for that purpose. I know it's pre-wired for Anti-theft but do they wire it for a sunroof regardless?

·
Registered
2,084 Posts
From the E46 wiki here: http://www.bimmerfest.com/wiki/inde...witched_power_.28.2B12v.29_for_accessories.3F

"Where can I find switched power (+12v) for accessories?
Three places:

BMW offers a 12v accessory power cable that plugs into the torch charger in the glove compartment (But is not switched power).
There's a wiring harness in the headliner console that has +12v for the universal garage door opener (UGDO). It's usually wrapped in black tape and shoved up above the passenger visor area. The +12v wire is green & blue.
There's a wiring harness in the center console under the coin tray for the analog cellular telephone option. The +12v wire is purple/white.
Ground is always brown. "

DIY for a hard wire install:

http://www.madrussian.net/m3/diy_valentine_v1.shtml

·
Banned
2,200 Posts
tap into your dome light/moon roof switch by the rear view mirror.

·
Registered
2,084 Posts
I don't have a sun roof but one of those plugs could be for that purpose. I know it's pre-wired for Anti-theft but do they wire it for a sunroof regardless?
I think they would...if nothing else, turn ignition on and check what you think may be the plug for a sunroof for switched power.

If that doesn't work, you could always use the switched power under the center console...you'd just have to take a little more time to snake the cable up under the dash, through one of the A pillars and over to the middle-top of the winshield....that and you'd need a longer power cord to do so, but that shouldn't be $10 or so online somewhere.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
This is all great. Thanks for the help. I'll do this once I get home. One thing I was going to add is doing the wiring to a small jack on the plastic panel. That way, I can disconnect the detector in case I'm in a province or state that frowns on such things when discussing my driving habits with one of our brave "men in blue". I was just driving down the hi-way the other day, passed a sign saying "Max 110km/hr. I looked down and saw that I was doing 140. Hmmm, I thought to myself. Sign's wrong.

·
Registered
528 Posts
The Madrussian link has you tap into a wire that is powered when the car is on and not powered when the car is off, so you don't have to worry about killing your battery. If you do have a Valentine 1, all you have to do is disconnect the phone cable from your detector and push it back up towards the top of the windshield. Nobody's going to search your car for a phone jack.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Hey. I have a radar detector hard wired in my car as well right where you are putting yours. I did not want to tap or splice any factory wires.

So what I did was take the hardwire cord and tucked it in the headliner along the windshield and then tucked/ziptied it to the factory wiring harness down the passenger A pillar so the wiring ran into the glove box. From there I used a simple fuse tap (you can buy one at radioshack or autozone) that way I could recieve switched 12v power IE detector turns on when the car is on.

^ In my opinion this is the cleanest install out there. Its completely reversable and fairly easy to do. Removing the A pillar is simple just 3 screws and it slides on out. You cant see a single wire anywhere since its all tucked away and I was also able to hook up a remote display in my ash tray.

I can help wallk you through the process in more detail and I have pics available on what I did. Just ask. GL :)

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Where are the 3 screws? Under that narrow cover in the middle of the A pillar liner? Does that just pry out?

·
Registered
376 Posts
Where are the 3 screws? Under that narrow cover in the middle of the A pillar liner? Does that just pry out?
Yeah The the thin strip lining along the a pillar you get a flat head screwdriver under there and pry that up and underneath are the 3 torx screws. all you do is take those out and the a pillar comes off There are plastic clips at the bottom end of it. there is a specific way you pull it up and out so you dont break em. (check the diy threads on here)

From there you see the factory wiring running down and you can just tuck the radar wire along with it and zip tie it all there and then put the pillar back. Its real easy and very clean and Its guarenteed to not get in the way of the airbags.

·
Registered
2,084 Posts
I was just driving down the hi-way the other day, passed a sign saying "Max 110km/hr. I looked down and saw that I was doing 140. Hmmm, I thought to myself. Sign's wrong.
:rofl: That's a good story to share with an officer next time you get stopped for a friendly chat.

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
I was just driving down the hi-way the other day, passed a sign saying "Max 110km/hr. I looked down and saw that I was doing 140. Hmmm, I thought to myself. Sign's wrong.
CAREFUL... 2 km/hr more and you could've found yourself in 1955.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Done. Here's what I did. I spliced into the Universal garage door opener (white 3 pin connector) since I would never bother to use it. Green/Blue is switched hot. Brown is ground. Connected those two wires to a 2.5mm DCV connector ($2.39 at any electronics store) but you could also use a mono audio female connector, and drilled a 1/4 inch hole in the front of the headliner right by the rear view mirror. This connection can only be seen from the front of the car, is very discrete and looks like it is part of the car. I then cut my power cord to length, soldered on a 2.5mm male connector (again, cheap at $2.99 at the electronics store). It plugs into my new power outlet with a touch of slack but no drooping wires and that's that. Thanks for all the advice. I weighed each carefully and picked the one that suited my needs best.

·
Registered
2,084 Posts
Sounds like a job well done, nice work.

That went too smooth though...so in an attempt to stir the pot, what detector are you running?

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I have a Cobra XRS 9840 12 Band Blah, Blah, Blah But if I upgrade to any other detector, a quick mod to the power cord and I'm back in business, driving carefully, and within posted speed limits.

·
Registered
558 Posts
Is there power above the passenger sun visor in a vert also?

·
Registered
34 Posts
I had the same question as morningisbad. I have a 2001 330CI convertible and unfortunately I'm not finding any info on mirrortaps in the sunvisor area for these cars. Just wondering if anyone has done one. I might go fishing behind the mirror clam shell

1 - 20 of 20 Posts