BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
859 Posts
The only way to be 100% sure is to take the door panel off. Takes 10 mins. You can also go by if you have memory seats or some crap like that but I dont remember which is which. Sorry bro.

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
I think there is a general consensus that you have to check personally. There are models that tend to lean more towards one or the other but some people have posted that there have been acceptions to this. There is a DIY somewhere around here that tells you how to check and it's only supposed to take twenty minutes to find out which you have. I plan on checking mine soon too.

·
OEM ///PLUS
2003 M3 6MT Slicktop
23,550 Posts
no other way to be CERTAIN. but if you have a USA car and memory seats/mirrors the chances are you have 12PIN over 6PIN(don't forget about ribbon). Key words in this post "CHANCES" and "CERTAIN". If you don't want to take the time to check..you're guessing.

·
Registered
8,500 Posts
take a flathead screwdriver and pry up the mirror switch.If there are two connectors and it looks like a "T" then you have 6 pin.If there is only 1 plug then you have 12 pin.Takes 20 seconds

·
Registered
229 Posts
take a flathead screwdriver and pry up the mirror switch.If there are two connectors and it looks like a "T" then you have 6 pin.If there is only 1 plug then you have 12 pin.Takes 20 seconds
Dont mean what so ever to jack the thread... It actually might help others when looking to see what connection they have. I just saw this thread because i have been dying to find out what connection i have and i have never heard of trying this...

I took a quick pic because i dont know what 12pin or 6pin look like..

Do you know what this connection is davidjay420?

·
Registered
1,942 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
you just said if there is one plug its a 12 pin but you said its a 6 pin...mine looks like the one above as well...

·
OEM ///PLUS
2003 M3 6MT Slicktop
23,550 Posts
THAT IS TOTALLY WRONG INFO!!!!!!!
FIRST THIS IS NOT A GOOD WAY TO CHECK AS IT MAY BE GOING TO THE MODULE. SECOND, WHEN THE MIRROR SWITCH HAS A "T" BACK LIKE IN THE PICTURE OF MINE THEN IT'S USUALLY A 6 PIN MIRROR.

·
OEM ///PLUS
2003 M3 6MT Slicktop
23,550 Posts
I hope this had been cleared up now. I've done three mirror changes on my car and even did a 12PIN to 6PIN conversion. I know 6 PIN mirrors and their switches.

·
OEM ///PLUS
2003 M3 6MT Slicktop
23,550 Posts
Here are three pictues of mirror switches that I have taken personally. I know what tehy fit and what they don't fit.
The White backed one and the Red backed one are Euro Autofold mirror switches. They still have the same connections in the back. The earlier picture with the white by the black is the black is stock mirror switch for a car that took a 6PIN mirror. They have the same back. Now the Red backed eurofold switch is for one that took the 12PIN mirror. It's the same shape but just a different color than the stock switch for most 12PIN mirror set-ups.
Do not confuse the switch with the mirror connections. You need to look at your mirror connector to be CERTAIN. I hope this has helped

1 - 20 of 37 Posts