E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an 04 M3. I am thinking it is time to upgrade/replace my old suspension.

My car is a DD, non track vehicle. However performance and handling is why I bought it in the first place.

What do I need to replace and what brand? Are PSS9's overboard? Do I also need new brushings? Is just a PSS9 kit and brushings, all that is needed to increase handling and prolong the life of my car or am I missing some componenets?

Occasionally I hear what sounds like a little metal scrape or high pitch scratching while driving at lower speeds (5mph) on a smooth surface. This is probably a wheel bearing no?

Any suggestions about a reasonable brand and parts list would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
Q

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
What I meant by asking if I need this or that. I want to forget about my suspension after doing this project. So anything that might/usually needs replacing after 110,000 of usage and 7 years worth of time. A brand that is as good or better than OEM that is reasonable for my daily usage is what I am looking for.

Again thanks,
Q

·
:D
7,735 Posts
Are you the original owner? You might want to consider going with an oem m setup because I've heard that's a pretty good feeling suspension new but at 110k miles is likely well work out.

Make sure to replace your rear shock mounts especially if going with an aftermarket setup. Get rear shock mount reinforcement plates, possibly new strut mounts, new front control arm bushings, possibly rear trailing arm bushings, possibly new control arms depending on the condition of your ball joints. And I think that should do it.

While I recommend replacing everything I just listed if you're just going to replace the bear minimum replace front control arm bushings, rear shock mounts, and add rear shock mount reinforcement plates.

Replacing everything I listed in the second paragraph should keep you worry free for quite a while.

For all your bushings you can choose between poly and rubber material. Rubber will be oem and while being pretty responsive will deaden out all the noise and vibrations from the road. Poly bushings are solid aftermarket pieces that will be more responsive in handling but will be harsher over roads. Depending on your preferences choose accordingly.
Good brands are
rubber-oem or meyle hd
Poly-powerflex

If you're going with a more aggressive setup such as coilovers I would highly recommend going with an aftermarket rear shock mount. While the oem shock mount on verts and m3s are beefier than regular they could fail with a more aggressive shock/spring setup. There are many different brands and price ranges for these. The best I could recommend would be rogue engineering rsms (rear shock mounts). They're rebuildable if anything were going to break and I've only heard great things about them. They're going to be around $100 for a set. There's also rsms on turner motorsports for I think $40 and they have a lifetime warranty. There are many different options so search around and see what you like.

Bottom line is if you're going with an oem shock/spring setup you can get either oem or aftermarket rsms. If you're going with anything aftermarket including coilovers I highly recommend aftermarket rsms. Also make sure to get the rsn reinforcement plates no matter what you choose. These run about $25 and will prevent your sheet metal from tearing In your rear shock tower.

I think that's everything feel free to pm if you have any questions.

Sent from my iPhone using BimmerApp

1 - 3 of 3 Posts