BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
going with a 10 w7 over the battery. I keep hearing different oppinions on which amp is better with this sub. I dont like turning the gains up on the amp, and I dont listen to the music at full volume but i still like crisp clear bass with rap music. I also want to make sure not to underpower and fry the voicecoil.

·
OG e46fanatics lurker!
2,067 Posts
i dont think you would underpower the dub7 with a 500/1..but if you want to be sure that youre giving it some juice, go ahead with the 1000/1. try to listen to one in the setup youre thinking before buying. maybe you can find some other subs you might like and pocket a few bucks;)

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
low said:
i dont think you would underpower the dub7 with a 500/1..but if you want to be sure that youre giving it some juice, go ahead with the 1000/1. try to listen to one in the setup youre thinking before buying. maybe you can find some other subs you might like and pocket a few bucks;)
The enclosure was built for the w7 and i dont mid spending the money. Im not sure about the amps though. I might go with the phoenix gold xenon 600/1 and match it with the 200/2 for my interiors.

·
Sh!t Happens.
4,614 Posts
I have a 500.1 amp with my 10W7 in my Jetta, and I think thats more than enough power..

I think you should use the 1000.1 amp with the 12W7 and 13W7...

·
Banned
1,345 Posts
jl audio specify that a 500 watt amp is optimum for the 10w7 and nearly 750-800 watts for a 12w7. this is perfect for it, you could run a 600/1 watt amp without any troubles

·
Registered
11,483 Posts
If money is no object, buy more power. A 1000 watt amp shouldn't kill your electrical system either.

·
Registered
786 Posts
what are you guys talkin bout! a 1000/1 is WAY to much power for a single 10w7!

it's rated at 500w rms, but can obviously handle a bit more--but NOT double! jl claims that 500w is the "optimum" power for the 10w7 too... 1000 watts would literally be bordering the "warranty void" area!

9-10 setups w/ a single 10w7 are using 500/1... trust me, this is a killer combo!

since the 10w7's got a single 3-ohm voice coil, you really don't have a big selection of amps to choose from... if you want a little more power than the 500/1, the only amp i'd recommend would be the pg x600.1--as this amp also auto-matches impedance loads.

·
Registered
93 Posts
m3on20z said:
I have a 500.1 amp with my 10W7 in my Jetta, and I think thats more than enough power..

I think you should use the 1000.1 amp with the 12W7 and 13W7...
exactly what he said...i had the 500/1 (amp turned all the way down) running my 12w7 and it was fine. but like he said again, if you have the 12's or 13's then go with the 1000/1. i've done that too, just havent installed it yet.

·
OG e46fanatics lurker!
2,067 Posts
its okay to put 1k + watts to a 10w7 or for almost any sub for that matter. just watch the gains. funny thing is, now that ive got way too much power for my needs, i never make use of it. i start listening to other types of music more often than i used to (not as much hip hop, etc. ) and i appreciate more vocals, acoustic, and jazzy type music more than i ever did. and im thinking i may have wasted some dough. but its still nice to have the power on tap! ;)

·
Registered
7,635 Posts
A 500.1 is NOT enough for a single 10W7. A properly adjusted 500.1 is not enough to cleanly drive a 10W7. If you do like to listen to distortion, then a 500.1 is fine, just turn the gain up and you will get lots of bass. For clean bass I would say at least a 1000.1.

·
Registered
0 Posts
underpowering is nonsense. 'Clean' power is ambiguous at best.

For more headroom, something I prefer, and given your preference for keeping the gain low, a 1000/1 should be well suited for your needs. Amp draw/output vary greatly given gain settings. Enjoy.

·
Registered
7,635 Posts
kufi kracka said:
underpowering is nonsense. 'Clean' power is ambiguous at best.

For more headroom, something I prefer, and given your preference for keeping the gain low, a 1000/1 should be well suited for your needs. Amp draw/output vary greatly given gain settings. Enjoy.
Clean power is not ambiguous, all you have to do is adjust gains using an oscilloscope. A scope clearly shows clipping. If you adjust an amplifier for no clipping (clipping=distortion), then you have clean power. Unfortunately, most people adjust the gains by "thump" levels or by how far the stereo can be heard outside the car, that is not "clean" power in 99.9% of the cases.

·
Registered
7,635 Posts
kufi kracka said:
here we go. Next let's discuss the effect of clipping --even into square waves-- on subwoofers in particular.

Nah, no need. I'm out.
Clipping destroys subs. Seen it hundreds of times. Don't want to start a flame war, I am just trying to say that if you want accurate sound reproduction and can afford a bigger amp, then go for it. If you don't want to spend the money on good sound, then live with the consequences of bad sound quality and possibility of having to replace the subs.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
Isn't the 500.1 rated at 500 watts RMS @ 4 ohms.
Now if the 10W7 has a 3 ohm voice coil, wouldn't the 500.1 be pushing a lot more than 500 watts???

·
Registered
454 Posts
Juha 323Ci said:
Isn't the 500.1 rated at 500 watts RMS @ 4 ohms.
Now if the 10W7 has a 3 ohm voice coil, wouldn't the 500.1 be pushing a lot more than 500 watts???
no. because JL amp is strictly regulated.

it is different story with PG and JBL.

·
Registered
0 Posts
there are regulated power supply amps that nevertheless produce more power as impedance is reduced. The JL amps are specifically designed to produce a constant wattage anywhere between 1.5-4 ohm loads.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts