E46 Fanatics Forum banner
41 - 51 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
2003 BMW 325i
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
So, I put everything back in place, did an oil flush, and now I've got an oil leak coming from the dipstick tube. I replaced the o-ring, seated it all the way down (I believe), and the bolt lined up so I thought it was fine. Any suggestions? Not sure where I went wrong.

·
Registered
6,809 Posts
So, I put everything back in place, did an oil flush, and now I've got an oil leak coming from the dipstick tube. I replaced the o-ring, seated it all the way down (I believe), and the bolt lined up so I thought it was fine. Any suggestions? Not sure where I went wrong.
New or old O-ring? It's the O-ring installation causing the issue.

·
Premium Member
E30M3 Race F10 535 R1150Rt M Coupe
8,332 Posts
Oil leak there suggests a bad seal. Which in turn.... Is a vacuum leak.
Vacuum leak = poor vacuum which is how the CCV operates.

·
Registered
2002 330ci auto
155 Posts
The o-ring needs to be put on the dipstick tube, then the dipstick tube put in. The dipstick opening tends to corrode and expand, so I had to scrub it a little bit with a wire brush before it went in.
The oil in the sump gets filtered before it goes anywhere so I didn't worry too much about debris

·
Premium Member
8,332 Posts
Here is the drilled out dipstick tube:

View attachment 938657
So I only have one probing question about your laudable modification:
I have to assume that the outlet design of the original has all of the double wall tube placed below the nominal oil level for a reason. (Exit at the bottom)
Does having the uppermost set of holes placed above the oil level (taking turns and oil moving away from the dipstick during such) have any negative impact??
I'm intrigued.

·
Registered
6,809 Posts
And then some owners in an attempt to solve the mayo clogged drain tube, they drilled many holes through the double tube. Without knowing this would defeat the function of the CCV, because it now suck the oil vapor in the oil pan straight up into the intake manifold instead of separating the oil in the spiral path. Who still have the multi-hole drilled old version tube?
o I only have one probing question about your laudable modification:
I have to assume that the outlet design of the original has all of the double wall tube placed below the nominal oil level for a reason. (Exit at the bottom)
Does having the uppermost set of holes placed above the oil level (taking turns and oil moving away from the dipstick during such) have any negative impact??
I'm intrigued.
MrM, the drilled dipstick tube is not mine and I posted the pic to show the bad example of how other people tried to solve the problem the wrong way.
CCV drain tube (outer tube or chamber) should be submerged under the oil level all the time. So when someone drilled the holes above the oil level, then the CCV drain tube is opened to the gas + oil vapor above the oil level, and these particles are lighter than liquid oil and they are sucked in by the CCV low pressure, ended up with more burning oil.
With the stock tube, the CCV cannot suck up the oil as it is too heavy.

·
Premium Member
8,332 Posts
MrM, the drilled dipstick tube is not mine and I posted the pic to show the bad example of how other people tried to solve the problem the wrong way.
CCV drain tube (outer tube or chamber) should be submerged under the oil level all the time. So when someone drilled the holes above the oil level, then the CCV drain tube is opened to the gas + oil vapor above the oil level, and these particles are lighter than liquid oil and they are sucked in by the CCV low pressure, ended up with more burning oil.
With the stock tube, the CCV cannot suck up the oil as it is too heavy.
Agree, mostly.

I did one time..... Very cold winter day, below freezing pull a cold car into the shop. Smoking like crazy.
While running, I made the mistake of pulling out the dipstick. I took an oil bath.

Replacing everything CCV related (dipstick tube also) solved the issue.

EDIT: That was the only time such has happened. I now no longer remove dipsticks from running engines. I was attempting to evaluate how much/little vacuum the engine had at the time.

·
Premium Member
8,332 Posts
I almost choked on my sandwich laughing at this. In your case, a bad CCV allowed the crank case to build up so much pressure from pistons blow-by gas.
Yes and moisture laden (frozen also no doubt) broken CCV lifted up the oil from the sump

·
Registered
2003 BMW 325i
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #51 ·
Figured it out, o-ring didn't seat all the way down in it's spot, it got pushed up to the top of the dipstick tube. Had some fun oil baths putting it in and out 3-5 times before it seems to have finally seated correctly, for those that didn't know, putting it at the very tip of the dipstick helps it seat properly since it is tapered and would rather go down in its spot, than roll up to the top of the tube. Next on the checklist, fixing the dripping coolant leak from the drain plug, and finally fixing the exhaust manifolds. Lord let me finish this by the end of the weekend.

41 - 51 of 51 Posts