E46 Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 20 of 63 Posts

· Premium Member
Е46 sedan M52B20TU 1999
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Hi all!
My name is Igor, I'm 29 and I'm from Ukraine. My e46 320 m52b20tu was released on 09/09/1999 in titan-silber metallic 354. Manual 5 speed gearbox. It is modest in configuration but has: parking sensors, rain sensor, fog lights, folding mirrors, sunroof, air conditioning, on-board computer. Boring fabric gray interior. Mileage today 300000km. I service the car myself, I have owned it since 2020, but I managed to do and refine a lot. If you are interested, I will tell you a lot of interesting things from her life. My e46 is very basic compared to most of the cars here but I still love it a lot and never want to sell it. Thank you!
Wheel Tire Car Land vehicle Vehicle

Wheel Car Tire Automotive parking light Automotive side marker light

Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Window
Wheel Tire Car Land vehicle Vehicle
Vehicle Car Grille Vehicle registration plate Hood
Wheel Automotive parking light Tire Car Vehicle
Automotive parking light Car Sky Land vehicle Vehicle registration plate
Wheel Car Tire Automotive parking light Land vehicle
Car Speedometer Vehicle Gear shift Motor vehicle

· Premium Member
2002 330 Ci
3,187 Posts
Welcome!

Igor use Google translate

His translation.....

Hi all!
My name is Igor, I'm 29 and I'm from Ukraine. My e46 320 m52b20tu was released on 09/09/1999 in titanium-silver metallic 354. 5-speed manual transmission. The equipment is modest, but there are: parking sensors, rain sensor, fog lights, folding mirrors, sunroof, air conditioning, on-board computer. Boring fabric gray interior. Mileage to date is 300,000 km. I service the car myself, I have owned it since 2020, but I managed to do and refine a lot. If interested, I will tell you a lot of interesting things from her life. My e46 is very basic compared to most of the cars here but I still really love it and never want to sell it. Thank you!

· Premium Member
Е46 sedan M52B20TU 1999
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Let's start with the purchase history. I read a lot of stories about how people in search of bmw traveled all over the country and looked at dozens of cars. I would never have thought that I would buy my car from the first inspection, and even more so that this car would be from my street. I watched him for 4 years from the balcony when he was owned by another guy but would never have thought that it would be my E46. When I saw an advertisement on the Internet, I did not recognize this e46 ... then I phoned the owner and realized that it was her. Inspected the car on the same day and it was in good condition, at least than most e46 sold at the time. The main thing is that there were no problems with the body and in general it was not bad as it seemed to me. Then my brother came to his e39 and my father. They helped me understand that this is a good option for my money. Below are some photos from the day of purchase and a photo from the announcement of the sale.
Car Wheel Automotive parking light Tire Land vehicle
Car Vehicle registration plate Vehicle Sky Building
Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Automotive tire
Car Vehicle Hood Light Automotive lighting
Car Tire Wheel Vehicle Vehicle registration plate
Vehicle Car Satellite radio Plant Radio
Product Automotive lighting Automotive design Motor vehicle Bag
Automotive tail & brake light Car Vehicle registration plate Wheel Vehicle

· Premium Member
Е46 sedan M52B20TU 1999
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Has been replaced:
Bosch fuel filter
wix air filter
Cabin filter
Engine oil liqui moly 5w40, pre-flush oil
Gearbox and rear gear oil
Spark plugs NGK
Coolant
Considered important to install the front strut brace.
The INA water pump was replaced, there was a backlash.
Together with the water pump, the tensioner roller and engine belt were replaced. The air conditioning belt was good, and the air conditioning tensioner roller was simply lubricated.
I also bought a new fire extinguisher and a first aid kit.

Motor vehicle Hood Laptop Automotive design Vehicle

Automotive parking light Car Plant Vehicle Vehicle registration plate

Green Automotive tire Tire Automotive lighting Audio equipment

Hand Watch Drinkware Liquid Fluid
Automotive parking light Car Vehicle Vehicle registration plate Grille
Rectangle Wood Musical instrument Audio equipment Flooring
Motor vehicle Automotive tire Hood Automotive design Automotive lighting
Car Vehicle White Hood Motor vehicle

· Premium Member
Е46 sedan M52B20TU 1999
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The next step I decided to do dry cleaning salon. A special vacuum cleaner was purchased for wet cleaning. At first, I completely cleaned my seats and carpets as best I could ... but I was not happy that the driver's seat was torn and by chance I saw that the exact same gray interior was being sold in perfect condition. Naturally I bought it at a good price. Unfortunately it is not leather but clean and whole.
I also sent my old steering wheel for leather upholstery. It's more pleasant to be in the car.
Wheel White Steering part Motor vehicle Automotive tire
Speedometer Vehicle Car Wheel Trip computer
Car Vehicle Automotive design Car seat cover Motor vehicle

Vehicle Motor vehicle Chair Gas Auto part

Vehicle Car Window Hood Automotive tire
Car Vehicle Window Seat belt Automotive design

· Premium Member
Е46 sedan M52B20TU 1999
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I constantly want to fix or repair something in my e46, but not because it is broken, but in order to prevent a breakdown or just to get in a good mood. Given the age of the car, many parts need simple cleaning and lubrication, this is not expensive and everyone can do it. This time I disassembled, cleaned and lubricated the climate control unit. There is a fan that sometimes starts to creak.
Car Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive design Steering part

Passive circuit component Circuit component Audio equipment Table Hardware programmer

Font Electronic device Composite material Electronics accessory Transparency

After cleaning everything works just as well and quietly. I am satisfied.
Sometimes I noticed that the ABS and ASC lamp on the panel lit up. One of the reasons for this may be cracked soldering contacts on the ABS block board. I checked and it turned out to be exactly the same. It was inconvenient to get and open the block, because it was sealed. But otherwise there were no problems. I soldered the places where it was necessary and took it back using glue for gluing glasses. It turned out hermetically and there is no longer a glowing error on the panel. ABS and ASC work great.

Hand Finger Audio equipment Gadget Musical instrument accessory
Automotive parking light Car Land vehicle Tire Wheel

Passive circuit component Circuit component Hardware programmer Microcontroller Electronic engineering

Circuit component Breadboard Audio equipment Electronic engineering Table

Circuit component Hardware programmer Passive circuit component Electronic engineering Engineering

Automotive tire Automotive fuel system Motor vehicle Vehicle Automotive design

· Premium Member
Е46 sedan M52B20TU 1999
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I think many people here know the problem of the current e46 doors due to the peeled off lining inside. You just need to remove the door cards, remove the trim and replace the sealing material ... in this case, butyl cord. It took me exactly 11 meters of material. Leaking doors in my car is prevented. The left rear door began to leak a little, but I noticed it in time - I saw drops of water on the inside
Wood Basket Art Grass Automotive wheel system
Plant Automotive tire Wheel Motor vehicle Automotive lighting

this material is very sticky but I warmed it up a bit with a blow dryer before gluing the skin to make sure it won't leak for a long time
Tire Vehicle Automotive lighting Automotive tire Hood

I also had to replace the mechanism holding the right front door open and half-open, I bought it in advance from a donor car in excellent condition and took advantage of the fact that they removed the door trim. I also lubricated the glass guides in the doors and the cables on the power windows with special grease, they are mechanical in the back, but it suits me, I rarely open the windows from the back. After lubrication, less force should be applied to open the windows.
I still had Teflon grease left, which is slippery but dust does not stick to it, so I cleaned and lubricated the rubbing parts of the sunroof.

Attachments

· Premium Member
Е46 sedan M52B20TU 1999
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Pay attention to the engine. Gradually acquired parts and it's time to replace them.
At first it was BREMI spark plug tips... the original Bremi ones also had small cracks after many years.
Office supplies Cylinder Gas Audio equipment Tool

Material property T-shirt Font Personal protective equipment Comfort food

The oil cup gasket and valve were replaced by me due to the fact that there were oil sweats on the engine. I also expected to see wear on the original valve in the oil cup based on a mileage of almost 300,000 km - and this was confirmed, the valve had a lot of wear and sometimes jammed, this was signaled by a late-fading oil pressure lamp on the dashboard.
Finger Household hardware Thumb Nickel Auto part
Automotive tire Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Wheel Alloy wheel
Automotive parking light Automotive tail & brake light Vehicle Vehicle registration plate Car

I bought 2 valves as you can see from the photo... the second one is for my brother and his e39, in return he gave me a hose for the vanos system, my original hose was tired.
Car Automotive parking light Land vehicle Wheel Sky

The o-rings of all 6 injectors and the mini-filters inside them were also replaced. The old injector filters were like new, probably because I periodically add an additive to the fuel to clean up contaminants, but I put in new ones anyway.
Car Sky Plant Vehicle Automotive lighting

In the course of work, the idle speed regulator, throttle valve, Disa were cleaned, some hoses of the crankcase ventilation valve were replaced and the tube into which the oil dipstick was inserted was cleaned - there was no o-ring at hand to replace, left it for the next time.
I did not notice any changes after the work carried out, the car drove well as before, but I got rid of oil leaks and replaced what I had planned for a long time. I'm calmer now.

· Premium Member
Е46 sedan M52B20TU 1999
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
With the onset of autumn, I began to notice that the cabin filter was wet. This was to be expected as the lower windshield molding/seal had a lot of damage from time to time. In addition, it spoiled the perception of the car as a whole.
Wheel Hood Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive lighting

A new part is not cheap. Many try to use a universal sealant and it works for a while. Deciding that the miser pays twice, I ordered the original BMW part 51718208483
Font Wood Composite material Graphite Metal

Wood Bumper Automotive tire Toy Hardwood

The replacement was not difficult, my friend on the e30 helped me. There was a lot of debris under the old pad but no rust yet. I cleaned everything and installed a new part, clips were included. The most difficult thing in this work for me was to remove the wiper arms, I needed a special tool.
Automotive tire Hood Motor vehicle Fixture Mode of transport

Automotive parking light Car Vehicle Grille Hood

Window Vehicle Automotive lighting Hood Automotive tire

Car Automotive parking light Vehicle Vehicle registration plate Land vehicle

· Registered
1980 733i, 2006 m3
961 Posts
Great work Igor! You have been a busy person. Jealous of the pit. Wish they were legal over here.
Can't decide which set of wheels I like better.
Love the cloth interior. It makes the grey look outstanding.

· Premium Member
Е46 sedan M52B20TU 1999
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Great work Igor! You have been a busy person. Jealous of the pit. Wish they were legal over here.
Can't decide which set of wheels I like better.
Love the cloth interior. It makes the grey look outstanding.
Thanks a lot! I am surprised that you liked my modest mechanical interior, many people want a leather interior, which is why I want to keep it, it is cozy, especially in the evening under lamp light :)
As for the rims, they are forged 90 style from e65... they have removable caps.

· Premium Member
Е46 sedan M52B20TU 1999
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
After buying a better interior, I still had a set of old door cards ... my seats were quickly bought and the door trim turned out to be useless to anyone. I decided to use the old doorknobs and modify them a bit.
Photograph Light Product Blue Black

Each pen has its own individual number. I want to make the backlight for the handles like it is done in the e38.
Light Blue Luggage and bags Bumper Bag

Blue Tool Bumper Finger Revolver

Automotive tire Tool Automotive lighting Audio equipment Bumper

My idea was to cut holes in the handles and fill them with clear epoxy. The resin, after curing, would serve as a light diffuser, and as a light source I use LEDs from an old original cassette player.
Product Guitar accessory String instrument accessory Wood Font

using plasticine, I made a mold for pouring epoxy resin into the pen and filled it with a syringe
Luggage and bags Bag Eyewear Wood Automotive design

Hand Finger Bumper Wood Plastic

Hand Hood Finger Gadget Everyday carry

after hardening, the resin became very strong and acquired a milky color. I made small holes right in the hardened resin and inserted the LEDs there. they stuck very tightly but I added some glue on top. To begin with, I tried to turn on the LEDs using a homemade power supply to understand what resistors would be needed when powered from a car. I settled on a 390 ohm resistor for each LED, it seems to me that it does not shine too brightly and will last a long time...
Automotive lighting Amber Gas Electrical wiring Cable

Hand Finger Bumper Musical instrument accessory Eyewear

I also put metal tape on top of the resin to make a reflector for the LEDs
experimented a little with the blue light, I was interested to see
Hand Automotive lighting Circuit component Finger Sunglasses

but the native amber light is much more pleasant and will look harmonious in the cabin as a whole
Automotive lighting Eyewear Automotive design Automotive exterior Automotive mirror

Automotive lighting Headlamp Automotive mirror Automotive design Tints and shades

Automotive parking light Automotive lighting Hood Grille Automotive design

Glasses Vision care Musical instrument Automotive lighting Hood

Automotive lighting Automotive mirror Bumper Automotive exterior Automotive design

All I have left is to install the handles in the car and enjoy them. you need to add electrical connections to make it easier to remove the door trim and run wires to power the handles. unfortunately the installation of the handles took longer than I wanted and they stayed in another city. I will definitely finish the installation as soon as I get a chance. it looks very nice in real life, much more beautiful than in the photo.

Attachments

· Premium Member
Е46 sedan M52B20TU 1999
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I continue to drive. It was autumn outside, this is the time to do anti-corrosion treatment. I almost never go out in winter, very rarely and not far, but I wanted to save the body and extend its life as long as possible. First of all, I removed both bumpers and sills, as well as the front fender liner to assess the scope of work.
Tire Wheel Car Land vehicle Vehicle
Grey Wood Automotive tire Plant Tints and shades

There was a lot of dirt under the front fender liner from the bottom ... apparently it had not been cleaned for 20 years ... after removing everything superfluous, I went to the nearest car wash ... only then I remembered that the registration numbers were left on the bumpers in the garage and I drove without them. The car looked like a rally car :)
Tire Wheel Car Sky Land vehicle
Car Automotive parking light Wheel Tire Land vehicle
Wheel Tire Car Land vehicle Automotive parking light
Automotive parking light Land vehicle Tire Wheel Car

This was the first time I removed my front bumper... I saw the bent bumper reinforcement underneath and it became clear to me why the original regular bumper was replaced with an m-tech2. Fortunately, there is no other damage and the airbags are all intact. when the car was completely dry, I started processing...
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Tints and shades Fender Automotive exterior
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Vehicle Tread

The rain kept bothering me. I drove the car into the garage that I just rented, but it's very crowded. Toward evening, I realized that I would not have time to do all the work in 1 day and I would not have enough materials.
Tire Automotive parking light Wheel Vehicle Land vehicle

In the morning I went again for new processing materials and despite the rain I went back to the garage
Water Automotive parking light Car Tire Vehicle

Damn weather I thought... the rain left me with very little room to work but I was persistent and decided to touch up a couple of problem areas on the body...
Tire Car Wheel Vehicle Motor vehicle
Car Wheel Tire Automotive parking light Automotive side marker light

Late in the evening I finished the reassembly and went home. The next day, my goal was to apply protective wax to the body and I decided to repeat the wax protection every 2-3 months
Car Emblem Bottle cap Personal luxury car Font
Car Tire Sky Vehicle Cloud

Wheel Tire Car Vehicle registration plate Vehicle

Wheel Tire Car Vehicle registration plate Vehicle

I spent 3 days on this instead of the planned 1 day but I was very pleased with the work. I hope this will last for a while and the car will be easier to endure winter or bad weather.
Automotive parking light Car Wheel Tire Vehicle

· Premium Member
Е46 sedan M52B20TU 1999
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Замена подушки безопасности в рамках отзывной кампании BMW.
Читал об этом на автомобильных форумах. Я отправил электронное письмо ближайшему дилеру с VIN-кодом моей машины. Довольно быстро мне ответили, что если руль на машине не менялся и остался родным, то меня привлекли к замене передних подушек безопасности (водительской и пассажирской). Как я избран, замена подушки безопасности от производителя TAKATA. Пришлось для этого ехать к дилеру на осмотр, расстояние около 200 км...пара часов езды...
Дилер мне подтвердил, что пробег у моей машины оригинальный, также сказал, что на дойку мне заказаны 2 подушки безопасности и они прибудут через 3-4 недели.
Через пару недель мне пожаловались на бесплатную замену подушек безопасности. Я достигну пути с женой и маленьким сыном.
Automotive side-view mirror Mirror Plant Car Building

Tire Wheel Car Automotive parking light Land vehicle

Менеджер сказал мне, что водительская подушка безопасности не подлежит замене в конце концов. Хотя он производится Takata, его серийный номер менять не нужно. Мне просто нужно заменить пассажирскую подушку безопасности.
Ну, я уже читал, что у многих меняли только подушку безопасности пассажира, но мне было немного непонятно, почему тогда заказывали 2 подушки безопасности и почему они не увидели это с первого раза. Замена заняла час-полтора. Мне дали подтверждающий документ, и я поехал домой. И да, это было совершенно бесплатно. Я рад, что довольно старая машина все еще привлекает внимание BMW. Но у меня были некоторые сомнения в честности менеджера.
Car Vehicle Plant White Automotive design

Watch Automotive tire Automotive design Flash photography Vehicle

· Premium Member
Е46 sedan M52B20TU 1999
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Painting of plastic interior elements.
I think everything is clear from the name ... like in any other e46 (except for the museum one), after 21 years it became scary to look at the plastic parts covered with soft touch. It is especially sad when a young lady with nails drove a car ...
Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive design Personal luxury car

Car Plant Vehicle Gear shift Steering part

I thought for a long time, wondered what to do, the better to paint ... structural paint for bumpers or mat black, or maybe gloss in general ...
Once I went to a construction shop, just to figure out what gray colors are and just bought a bottle of gloss ... and there was no other))) at home there was a black mat, varnish and primer for plastic ... I decided that it would be better than it was anyway ...
Bathtub Rectangle Wood Plastic Room

Computer Personal computer Laptop Netbook Hood

Wood Shelving Pet supply Mesh Hardwood

Car Gear shift Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive lighting

Wood Bumper Trigger Air gun Gun barrel

I liked the result ... 2 years have passed since then ... no scratches appeared, everything looks like it was painted yesterday.
Car Gear shift Vehicle Motor vehicle Speedometer

Automotive design Motor vehicle Armrest Personal luxury car Tints and shades

Vehicle Gear shift Car Motor vehicle Steering part

Car Vehicle Gear shift Speedometer Motor vehicle

Personal luxury car Vehicle Automotive design Fixture Auto part

· Premium Member
Е46 sedan M52B20TU 1999
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thanks a lot!
As for the ABS / ASC block, I want to note a couple of details: first, you should not stick the knife deeper than 5mm when you open it, I almost damaged the parts on the board. Many people simply cut a hole in the cover approximately in the place where the contacts are, and then glue it. And secondly, it’s very inconvenient to get this block, there is not enough space where it is located, a small magnet is very useful, when unscrewing the screws, they will definitely fall out and turn out to be from below under the block where you can’t reach it with your hand.
Passive circuit component Circuit component Hardware programmer Microcontroller Electronic engineering

1 - 20 of 63 Posts