E46 Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i am getting 2 can bus codes and no communication to the lcm... whats the proper procedure to refilling the transmission? i changed the fluid and i cant get the same amount of fluid in it that came out? cog was there when i got the car... throttle stops working when i drive it i shut it off then restart it and its fine for awhile

Attachments

·
Registered
2000 E46 323i, 3.0L and 2.0L Z3's
1,205 Posts
What E46 do you have? Year, model, engine and transmission? Maybe you could update your profile, so it's always there for people to see.

Get your E46 wiring diagrams here: BMW WDS Online

You have a module on the can-bus that is faulty and pulling the bus down. Find the Can-bus connection diagrams and disconnect each module, one at a time, with trying to clear codes between, until you find the culprit. I would start with the ABS module.

If you transmission is an automatic, the fill procedure is:
  • Car Level on jack stands.
  • Engine running and foot on the brake, work through shifter positions to allow the system to clear any trapped air.
  • With engine running and fluid temp at 30C, remove fill cap and fill until fluid starts to dripple out. Fit fill cap.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
it is a 2005 330i 4 door 3.0 engine GM transmission. ill try to refill while running haha oops

·
Administrator
2004 330Ci 115k miles japan red
16,985 Posts
i am getting 2 can bus codes and no communication to the lcm... whats the proper procedure to refilling the transmission? i changed the fluid and i cant get the same amount of fluid in it that came out? cog was there when i got the car... throttle stops working when i drive it i shut it off then restart it and its fine for awhile
None of those screen shots are from the LCM (light control module).
I see ABS (traction control module), EGS (transmissition control module), and IKE (instrument cluster).

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i refilled the transmission while running it took 4 more qts. but the light is still on... ugh im about to take it too a shop this is crazy

·
Registered
2001 325i Sedan
880 Posts
Did you follow the CORRECT procedure for filling it, or just cram more fluid in there? There is a VERY specific process you MUST follow to get the correct level. It MUST be correct, not too low, not too high. There are TONS of tutorials on exactly HOW to fill it.

The "cog" will NOT go away on its own. You MUST clear it in the EGS using a code scanner.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Did you follow the CORRECT procedure for filling it, or just cram more fluid in there? There is a VERY specific process you MUST follow to get the correct level. It MUST be correct, not too low, not too high. There are TONS of tutorials on exactly HOW to fill it.

The "cog" will NOT go away on its own. You MUST clear it in the EGS using a code scanner.
i put it on jack stands (level) started it and moved through all the shifter posisitions to expell any trapped air and filled until it came out the fill hole and put the plug back in. i was told when i cycle the key it should reset? do i just clear the fault codes with my v1.4. or how do i clear the light on the scanner?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
i just went on my v1.4 on my laptop and tried clearing the EGS and the cog light comes bacfk immediately. 2 codes in the egs both CAN codes listed above

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
i tried disconnecting 1 wire at a time off of the CANBUS my volume control on the steering wheel started working when i disconnected 1 wire (3rd from left) but i cant get the codes to not come back or any other changes??

·
Registered
2001 325i Sedan
880 Posts
CANBUS errors can be something as simple as a corroded connector. I would try un-plugging and re-plugging ALL of the connectors on the DME and EGS. While they're off, check both sides of each connector for ANY signs of corrosion or moisture. Ideally, use a small, soft, wire brush to clean what you can, then coat the terminals with dielectric grease. Finally, re-assemble/disassemble a few times to ensure all connections get well "wiped". My E90 threw all kinds of codes, all over the car, a while back, and this was the problem.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
UPDATE: Limp mode is fixed light is off, still having LCM issues no communication but it runs and drives perfect.. it was the plastic collar on the transmission filter it had a crack in it. i just changed the fluid and filter at the beginning and the cheap filter i got must have had a crack in the collar that goes under the seal on the filter. put a OEM filter gasket and little collar(comes with the filter) and car is perfect. should i repost in other thread for the rest of the small issues? Thanks guys!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
CANBUS errors can be something as simple as a corroded connector. I would try un-plugging and re-plugging ALL of the connectors on the DME and EGS. While they're off, check both sides of each connector for ANY signs of corrosion or moisture. Ideally, use a small, soft, wire brush to clean what you can, then coat the terminals with dielectric grease. Finally, re-assemble/disassemble a few times to ensure all connections get well "wiped". My E90 threw all kinds of codes, all over the car, a while back, and this was the problem.
i cleaned and checked the connections, all good there was one wire on the K-BUS that made my steering wheel radio control buttons work but no change in the codes or symptoms

1 - 16 of 16 Posts