E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 80 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I've been using this form site for a while, and have gotten so much from it. Really awesome tool, thanks to all who contribute! Helps many like myself.

Anyways,
My name is Andriy, I have had a 2 330ci's. The first one was an 04 manual in blue, with some mods. I ported and polished the head (really, really time consuming job if you want it perfect), did that for the intake manifold, and disa a little as well, installed a cometic gasket, built a fiberglass bells shaped enclosure for the intake, installed that with an apexi filter, installed a Riot Racing BBTB, installed Schmiedmann headers and cats build a 2-1 merge collector and had it flow out a 3 inch mandrel bent pipe to a hooker max flow muffler, also installed a pair of recaro seats and made aluminum mounts for them. For the handling i installed Tuner swaybars and KW coilovers. I did some work widening the fenders to fit 15mm spacers in the back and fit adr m sport 18s with pilot sport tires. To say the car was fun is an understatement. Unfortunately a tree fell on it last January and did some pretty serious damage. (I was about 10 feet away from the tree when it fell too). But I wasn't really bummed out, because all my mods were still ok!!

I now have an 05 zhp auto (205k miles, but at least it has a clean title!) and plan to swap the mods to this car (including engine and transmish). I have always wanted to contribute to this form and feel this would be a perfect chance.

In addition to the swap I want to lighten the car up, install poly or alum bushings (would like to know which ones you guys would recommend), swap the zhp cams, and get a dyno tune.

- Andriy

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ok so I was able to pull the manual tranny and engine out fairly easily. The oil pan cracked from the impact of the tree so I went ahead and swapped oil pans. I only had one hoist so I had to keep the automatic tranny and engine in the Grey car while swapping pans. While the pan was open I decided to go ahead and weld the oil pump nut. Was thinking about it and figured I would lightly tighten the oil pump nut before welding, that way there is less force on the spindle (and hopefully less chance of it shearing off).

Attachments

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Was swapping the pedals today and was almost done when I tried installing the rubber piece for the clutch hose that goes through tbe firewall to the brake fluid resuvor. That piece fell under the brake booster and there's no way to get it unless I take more things apart. :thumbdown:

One the engine is swapped the fun will begin. Will build an exhaust system, and install aluminum rear subframe and diff mounts. :thumbup:

·
Registered
2,311 Posts
Agreed this hurts, but please make a dummy wiring guide for making the auto a manual :)

·
Registered
2,888 Posts
Too bad about your old car. Seemed like you put a lot into it. Makes me wanna build my e46 coupe. Looking forward to the engine and tranny swap!

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I took the rear end out of the car to replace the subframe and differential bushings. I barrowed a pressure washer after trying to use a hose to clean it up, and boy do I want a pressure washer now. Hoses just don't compare.
I then removed the subframe and bushings. At 205k miles they weren't looking too bad, but i did see cracks in the diff bushings. It's nice when all the bushings are on one piece of frame cause I had to take it in to a friend with a press. If these bushings went in perfectly flat and in alignment I would of been able to use my home made threaded press tool, but unfortunately these are very hard to keep straight and one side goes in more than the other. Got them pressed in and will hopefully have the rear end all assembled and on the car soon.

Attachments

·
Registered
125 Posts
sorry man for your blue car..
did you got some paycheck or something for that accident?

oh yeah, and i wonder if you would like to swap the ECU as well?
i don't know for sure, but is it any difference mapping of the ECU between the auto and manual?
i've been thinking about to swap my a/t to m/t, since we just got the a/t e46 here.. (i know, what a shame!)

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
sorry man for your blue car..
did you got some paycheck or something for that accident?

oh yeah, and i wonder if you would like to swap the ECU as well?
i don't know for sure, but is it any difference mapping of the ECU between the auto and manual?
i've been thinking about to swap my a/t to m/t, since we just got the a/t e46 here.. (i know, what a shame!)
I'm still waiting to get reimbursed for the car (insurance companies were fighting each other trying to prove and disprove each other at being at fault). It's clear to me who should cover the losses caused by the tree, but apparently it takes some people half a year to figure that out.
Anyways, the ecu for the manual 330ci is different from the zhp (due to cams and higher octane requirements in fuel) but the auto transmission has its own separate ecu thing. On my manual car there's one ecu for engine management, and on the auto zhp there's the engine ecu and a transmission ecu. The ecu should be the same for regular 330ci cars no matter if its manual or auto

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
While there's no rear end I figured it would be a perfect time to prep the fenders for rolling. If you don't know e46 chassis have rubber in the fenders that is hard to remove. I used a wire brush, and wanted to protect the fenders just in case I "slipped".

Attachments

1 - 20 of 80 Posts