BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Also I got Mobil 1 for the oil change so if I use that and then Castrol or valvoline would that have a bad affect or not

Sent from my iPhone using E46Fanatics

·
Registered
2003 325i (M54B30 swap)
649 Posts
For tools you don’t need anything beyond some jack stands, a hand pump and tube to pump the fluid in and standard hand tools. There’s some DIYs if you search the forums.

As far as the filter goes I recommend going to realoem.com and you can find the part number for the trans filter. You’ll probably not find it at your local parts shop, so I recommend FCPEuro.com or other similar like ECS to get the filter.

Also, no. It doesn’t matter what brand of engine oil vs ATF you buy. There’s a whole big oil thread that I think Balidawg keeps up with but basically for oil you want to look for LL-01, which is a BMW certification and for ATF you wanna look for Dexron VI which is an easy to find GM certification.

As well, Mobil 1 0W-40 was the only Mobil 1 LL-01 approved oil, but no longer carries the certification. I personally would not hesitate to use it and it’s very popular to use as well as cheap and available. Just change it before the 15,000 mile BMW interval. I would say 7-8k is probably standard around here. OEM oil filters are made by Mann, with Mahle preferred by some for a somewhat more robust construction.

Again, I run liqui moly and Mann filters but just stick to the certified stuff and you’re good to go. M1 in engine and Castrol in the trans is totally 100% fine.

Last bit, I promise. When you drop the trans pan, there’s a magnet in the pan that catches debris. Check it out and see if you have any chunkiness stuck to it. You’re absolutely gonna have some almost paste like material from a combination of oil and clutch powder sticking to the magnet, but if you see decent sized chunks I would prepare my wallet for a potential rebuild in the future.

·
Here to serve y’all
2004 330Ci 85k miles
12,348 Posts
Also I got Mobil 1 for the oil change so if I use that and then Castrol or valvoline would that have a bad affect or not
Check out these links for the fluids. BMW LL-01 rating for the oil and Dexron VI for the ATF for GM trans.
Official Oil List
Official ATF List

New users cannot post pics right away. You can post a photo or video on some other site then post a shared link here.

Can you post the car’s last 7 VIN numbers? Then we can see exactly which engine, trans, options it has.

It’s a good idea to DIY as much as you can on these cars, or you’ll quickly be spending thousands for someone else to do it.
The good news is that this forum has all the info you’ll need and helpful folks.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Check out these links for the fluids. BMW LL-01 rating for the oil and Dexron VI for the ATF for GM trans.
Official Oil List
Official ATF List

New users cannot post pics right away. You can post a photo or video on some other site then post a shared link here.

Can you post the car’s last 7 VIN numbers? Then we can see exactly which engine, trans, options it has.

It’s a good idea to DIY as much as you can on these cars, or you’ll quickly be spending thousands for someone else to do it.
The good news is that this forum has all the info you’ll need and helpful folks.
Vin NJ87629

Sent from my iPhone using E46Fanatics mobile app

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
For tools you don’t need anything beyond some jack stands, a hand pump and tube to pump the fluid in and standard hand tools. There’s some DIYs if you search the forums.

As far as the filter goes I recommend going to realoem.com and you can find the part number for the trans filter. You’ll probably not find it at your local parts shop, so I recommend FCPEuro.com or other similar like ECS to get the filter.

Also, no. It doesn’t matter what brand of engine oil vs ATF you buy. There’s a whole big oil thread that I think Balidawg keeps up with but basically for oil you want to look for LL-01, which is a BMW certification and for ATF you wanna look for Dexron VI which is an easy to find GM certification.

As well, Mobil 1 0W-40 was the only Mobil 1 LL-01 approved oil, but no longer carries the certification. I personally would not hesitate to use it and it’s very popular to use as well as cheap and available. Just change it before the 15,000 mile BMW interval. I would say 7-8k is probably standard around here. OEM oil filters are made by Mann, with Mahle preferred by some for a somewhat more robust construction.

Again, I run liqui moly and Mann filters but just stick to the certified stuff and you’re good to go. M1 in engine and Castrol in the trans is totally 100% fine.

Last bit, I promise. When you drop the trans pan, there’s a magnet in the pan that catches debris. Check it out and see if you have any chunkiness stuck to it. You’re absolutely gonna have some almost paste like material from a combination of oil and clutch powder sticking to the magnet, but if you see decent sized chunks I would prepare my wallet for a potential rebuild in the future.
Yeah the oil I got is “Mobil 1 extended performance high mileage for engines 75k + protects for 20k guarantee 5w-30”

the first on the left out the 3 that’s in the pic

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Official Oil List
Official ATF List

It’s a M54 engine btw and the trans def looks like the Gm one in the picture from the link you sent, it has a green sticker in the middle with the numbers 83220024359

21 - 26 of 26 Posts