BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hows its going guys im sure there are a
million threads regarding this but i just couldn't seem to find one that was helpful to my situation. so i recently purchased
a dinan long tube CAI i proceeded to try and complete the installation today everything went smoothly until it was time
to put the head light back in i noticed that it wouldn't clear due to the ballast now my only question is how do i relocate the
ballast since it connects directly on to the headlight and there is no wiring harness i do have the reallocation bracket
that came with the CAI im sure somone has
encountered this problem and found a way to fix it any help would be great thank you

·
Registered
255 Posts
Thats a single xenon right? Should be able to relocate it in front of driver strut tower. The bi xenon can be 3M right next to the original spot on the expansion tank.. I had to relocate mine(bixenon) to the expansion tank..

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Yes it's the driver side head light. Yeah the relocation isn't what in confused about. It's about how im going to connect it since there is no wiring harness and the ballast sits on the headlight like a cellphone battery would

·
Registered
255 Posts
the car has the bi xenon adaptive headlights
Yeah, you need to keep the ballast attached to the gray box connector piece and there should be 2 screws holding it to the bracket on the headlight. There is enough cord coming out to mount it right to the expansion tank. You may have to mount it at an angle depending on the clearance.

Here is a pic of mine, you can see how much room you have. Mine is not DINAN but it is similar I believe.

Attachments

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
yeah see i dont have that grey box connector mine is bolted onto the bottom of the headlight and thats how its engaged no extra wires or anything as you see in the first picture thats how it sits

·
Registered
255 Posts
yeah see i dont have that grey box connector mine is bolted onto the bottom of the headlight and thats how its engaged no extra wires or anything as you see in the first picture thats how it sits
Hmm Yeah I dunno then dude. I have the same bi-xenons but might were attached to a bracket on the backside of the headlight with 2-3 inches of wire coming out from the headlight

·
Registered
757 Posts
Hmm Yeah I dunno then dude. I have the same bi-xenons but might were attached to a bracket on the backside of the headlight with 2-3 inches of wire coming out from the headlight
You don't have the same xenons - the OP has facelifted coupe headlights - http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=BD53&mospid=47713&btnr=63_0808&hg=63&fg=05. OP, my guess is that the intake wasn't designed for the facelifed coupe. That said, you can buy the bracket (P/N 63126924283 for the M3) which will have the long lead you need for relocating the ballast. You'll still have to wire it into the light though (which will require some modification).

Luke

·
Registered
255 Posts
You don't have the same xenons - the OP has facelifted coupe headlights - http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=BD53&mospid=47713&btnr=63_0808&hg=63&fg=05. OP, my guess is that the intake wasn't designed for the facelifed coupe. That said, you can buy the bracket (P/N 63126924283 for the M3) which will have the long lead you need for relocating the ballast. You'll still have to wire it into the light though (which will require some modification).

Luke
Yeah i didnt know there was a difference between facelifted coupe bixenons and facelifted sedan bixenons... thanks for clearing it up!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
now with this lead will i be able to connect it farther away With it? or will i have to create me on wiring harness has anyone found a solution to this issue any help would be great thanks

·
Registered
757 Posts
Here is a picture of the part I'm talking about... http://www.ecstuning.com/BMW-E46-M3-S54_3.2l/Lighting/View_All/ES172784/ Realize that there is one with long leads (which I believe is the PN I gave above - but you should check that before ordering as I can't find a definitive photo of that part). What you would need to do is plug your ballast into this part and then wire in the other end to your light (I don't think that this is a great solution to this problem, but it could work). Note that you would also have to sort out what wires of this you would need, since you have the bixenon shutter plug elsewhere on the light and since you have the adaptive features to contend with too!

Luke

·
Falling from 14k ft.
4,031 Posts
You will need to make your own wiring harness to relocate the ballast. I assembled one 5 or so years ago to use a Benfer Performance CF intake on my facelift coupe. You will need to track down two different headlight looms to get the connectors. My apologies but I don't remember which ones you'll need to look for. You'll have to add several pins to the connectors to make them work with your bi-xenons. The work is very tedious and requires a lot of soldering. I believe I spent around $150 to make the harness.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts