E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
okay, I understand this will have some controversy so hear me out before you form any opinions.

I just got my license this year, i have been working for quite a long time and have gained some income that i feel comfortable spending on the car (which i also bought). The reason i would like to modify a 325 is because i am still young and where i live insurance rates are very high so i cant afford to pay premiums on a m3 or anything. Secondly i am also not a kid that likes a big wing, loud exhaust, lambo doors-ect -i got a BMW because i like LUXURY and sport.

What i would like to do ideally is

-change the transmission, And clutch
-install active autowerks super charger
-performance chip the car (Dinan?)
-add flare kit for larger tires and different camber

(have already upgraded the brakes, suspension, re done cooling system, and cleaned engine out)

Does anyone know if the added power is too much for the AWD system to handle? i need all wheel because it does snow alot here, i am willing to swap it for another awd system but cant get a RWD car or swap done.

Thanks!!:thumbsup:

·
Registered
5,687 Posts
if you got money to burn, go for it.
otherwise, keep it stock and keep up the maintenance.
to me trying to get mine in good working order is already a lot of work (and money).

·
Registered
106 Posts
just a question, why not a 330xi?

supercharger would be the best bang for the buck performance wise. Maybe look into m3 fenders, not sure if they'd work but it's an idea.

Looking forward to seeing the progress

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
@ hokiebimmer- the reasoning for not having a 330xi (literally the only reason) is because in my family whenever you buy a new car no matter who it is you have to take my uncle whom is a mechanic to look at the car first and he wouldnt let me purchase anything faster then the 325 due to some unfortunate rap i received from my brothers driving record. However its not the same deal with modifications. (so in short id rather spend some extra money, then piss of my whole family)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Or i will have a unique car, that i have built up and am proud of. I don't need to gain confidence by beating every car, or having the fastest one either, i am content with knowing their will always be something quicker however i would like to build the car up to a level where i can still push it a bit on long drives or just the odd cruise.

·
Banned
7,548 Posts
Supercharging the E46 non-M isn't something new, or special, and certainly not unique. Even a 330i owner, Cannadian330guy I believe is his username, was dissapointed with the performance of his FI setup post install. Your heavier Xi, and smaller bore 2.5l will be worse in every aspect. Don't take it personally, I own a 325 myself. Every modification, in good taste, has already surfaced for this car platform.

Either way, if the project you describe is what you want, go for it, but chances are you WILL regret dumping all that hard earned money when your gain more perspective soon enough. There is a shop in NY state that offers a M3 engine/6-speed getrag swap for $6500 all in. If you feel like blowing that money, consider it.

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
Guys read his earlier posts, 330's and M3's are not an option. He's happy with the 325.

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
Meh...his money so it's his choice. Not gonna hurt any of us in the least if he goes and blows 100k on his car if so chooses.

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
You should definately look into the m3 motorswap at Impressive in NY. My friend had his e46 m3 supercharged and he was always working on it and putting money into it. For the price impressive is really the way to go.

·
Banned
7,548 Posts
Meh...his money so it's his choice. Not gonna hurt any of us in the least if he goes and blows 100k on his car if so chooses.
I'll be hurt, psychologically.

We tried putting it diplomatically, but if the message hasn't gone across yet: This is one of the stupidest ideas E46fanatics has seen in a while.

·
Registered
162 Posts
spend it, spend it while you can!!! its a good investment you won't regret, its your money spend it how you wish,

20,000k on mods to car....
all the haters gonna hate....
but driving a unique car you can be proud of....priceless.....solid.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts