E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I still think I will get the audi because in dallas there are tons of 3ers but not many audis. If I get a car that's too fast I WILL get tickets.

·
Bimmerfest Co-Founder
7,683 Posts
Mark and I did a couple pulls his 99 B5 1.8T with APR chip and exhaust VS my 330i with dinan intake. I was slightly faster but not much. I was able to pull on him with the longer gearing of the BMW. We were neck and neck more or less (beat me off the line) until he had to shift and I had another thousand revs or something.

The A4s are great cars, get the 1.8T and APR stage 3, then you can take the 330s :)

Tim

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
tim330i said:
Mark and I did a couple pulls his 99 B5 1.8T with APR chip and exhaust VS my 330i with dinan intake. I was slightly faster but not much. I was able to pull on him with the longer gearing of the BMW. We were neck and neck more or less (beat me off the line) until he had to shift and I had another thousand revs or something.

The A4s are great cars, get the 1.8T and APR stage 3, then you can take the 330s :)

Tim
330 coupe/sedan would win a B6 1.8T w/ just chip.

The 1.8T has too much lag, & some say there is even more lag w/ chip (some say otherwise). I suspect there is more initial lag w/ chip than w/o chip but top end is much better than w/o chip.

Mark's B5 is some 200 lbs lighter than the new B6, plus exhaust gains are much better on the B5 than new B6.

330 coupe/sedan manual
1/4 mile, 14.7 s

B6 1.8T manual w/ chip
1/4 mile, low 15s (from AudiWorld w/ fairly good drivers)

325i coupe/sedan manual
1/4 mile, 15.4 s

B6 1.8T manual w/o chip
1/4 mile, 16.3 s

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks for the numbers, if I were to get a chip I would wait for the Audi factory chip next year b/c I don't want to void the warranty. Thanx. again

·
Black and Proud
17,011 Posts
you should do an upgrade on the turbo + chip ... and maybe combine with new exhaust

i've heard that is fairly cheap for the amount of performance gain on the new A4

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
hamann3 said:
thanks for the numbers, if I were to get a chip I would wait for the Audi factory chip next year b/c I don't want to void the warranty. Thanx. again
I'm probably getting an A4 too. Haven't heard anything concrete, most say chip w/ Audi warranty is never going to happen. Is this new info?

I believe ABT & MTM are considered the "safest" due to their close ties w/ Audi AG (but no formal relation w/ Audi of America yet). They're also the most expensive however.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts