BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a 2003 330xi sedan flood car. No water got in the interior, crankcase, or transmission, but it did get in the intake manifold. I drained it from out of the throttle body, but there is some kind of resonance chamber in front of and behind the throttle body the lowest point is about 1.5 inches lower than the lowest edge of the TB.

I would rather not take it off, but also don't want to hydrolock the engine and bend a connecting rod.

Has anyone seen this intake off of this motor and can tell me the air path from the TB up through the runners? If the air path is through this chamber it might be bad news, otherwise, the water will simply evaporate over time saving the trouble of removing the intake.

·
Premium Member
28,970 Posts
More curious how water was able to get into the intake and not into the interior??

I would say the car was driven into high water and the front end plowed water up into the air intake and the engine may have already ingested water?

Hope this is not the case.

·
Registered
2,345 Posts
Yah sounds ominous...

Here is a look at the bottom of the manifold for reference. Yes the M54 intake has a resonance chamber.

ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1403399278.168855.jpg

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I buy these from insurance companies and have repaired dozens of them. In this case i think it was a fresh water flash flood with the car parked. When the water rises fast, the back of the car floats and the nose goes under water, hence the intake gets flooded. The water subsides, and it settles back to the ground. If it had been moving, the water would have been ingested completely into the engine and hydrolocked it, bending a connecting rod.

Anyway, the picture is good of the intake, so thanks. Do you think the air must move through those 2 chambers on the way to the engine or not? There most definitely is water in the bottom 1.5 inches, but it won't matter unless it could be sucked into the combustion chamber.

If the air route is directly from the TB up to the runners, then no issue, the water will just evaporate.

·
Premium Member
28,970 Posts
Flooded E46's on the market or in new owners hands??

Oh well, buyers be warned! :facepalm:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I bought this car for resale. You should all be warned about an 03 330xi 98k pristine condition everything works for $4k. The VIN is WBAEW53463PG21643 so you can be sure to avoid it. Buyer beware!!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts