E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got this car about a month or 2 ago and it’s awesome. Everything drives smooth and quiet until last night I was driving with my girlfriend towards downtown Houston. Now In Houston the roads aren’t so smooth with lots of potholes,dips,and cracks. I went over a pothole at 30mph and afterwards started hearing clunking/rattling from the rear passenger side. It sounded as if I had tools or stuff in the back trunk but I didn’t. I’ve gone over bigger potholes on accident and have not had this problem until last night. I would really appreciate any advice. The noise is driving me crazy because I used to have quiet rides.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Welcome to e46 land! Hard to tell from you description as that is not an ordinary problem. But I would start by looking in the spare wheel well in the trunk to see if something was dislodged, like the jack or some tools. Look everywhere back in there including where the battery is located on the right side of the trunk. If you can't find the source, I would jack up the car, remove the rear passenger tire, and have a look around to see if suspension is tight or if there are any loose bolts.

·
Registered
E30M3 Race F10 535 R1150Rt M Coupe
6,781 Posts
Maybe the rear shock mounts went bad?
Sway bar end links?

·
Banned
1,223 Posts
your e46 racoon probably disloged himself, they like to support themselves inside the driver rear well holding on the strut ... check for loose stuff in the trunk

·
Registered
6 Posts
take the tire off; Check your rear coil springs... they like to rust out and crack/break at the bottom and will rattle around.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts