E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello everyone that is reading this. I just bought an 03 325i on June 4th and didn't realize until I was home that the rear suspension was sagging (very bad on my part I know) and that the rear wheels had severe negative wheel camber to them. when I go over bumps you can hear rattling in the suspension. Some things have led me to believe that the sagging is due to worn shocks but the camber could be sub frame damage. The car has been wrecked in the front (front bumper and the front right panel were replaced) and in the rear left side (cracked tail light cover and a spot that looks like it has been painted over and the rear bumper doesn't sit correctly). The car drives straight but there is also some shaking in my steering wheel until I get to about 50 MPH. Please help...

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
The rear sagging may be due to broken rear springs. Some negative camber, I believe is normal. The steering wheel shake can be wheels/rims out of balance. Could be front control arm bushings too.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The rear sagging may be due to broken rear springs. Some negative camber, I believe is normal. The steering wheel shake can be wheels/rims out of balance. Could be front control arm bushings too.
I checked my rear springs when checking my brake pads and they looked fine. This is more than just some negative camber. I'll get some pics in the morning. I'll double check my springs Thursday when I change my oil..

·
Registered
734 Posts
The stearing wheel shake might be as simple as front control arm bushings, but it sounds like the car has taken a beating.

A post purchase inspection might be a good idea. Then you will know.

·
OEM ///PLUS
2003 M3 6MT Slicktop
23,841 Posts
yep normally it's a cracked coil in the spring. but if you checked it ok.
springs hold the weight of the car, the shocks just handle the bounce for the most part. so it sounds like it could be something different. curious, how is the wear pattern on your rear tires?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The inner tread is worn than the center and outside. I took a coworker to the hospital in my car today and my steering wheel shook a lot, especially when braking. I'll double check my springs when I change my oil tomorrow and make sure...

·
Registered
2,352 Posts
Usually part of the lower spring breaks off and ends up on the side of the road. You need to verify the spring goes all the way to a nice straight cut at the end. If it tapers then it probably broke in the past.

Your whole suspension sounds like a mess and needs a lot of work.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Usually part of the lower spring breaks off and ends up on the side of the road. You need to verify the spring goes all the way to a nice straight cut at the end. If it tapers then it probably broke in the past.

Your whole suspension sounds like a mess and needs a lot of work.
I know my suspension is a mess. I planned on replacing my control arms with adjustable control arms so I can fix the camber to where it's supposed to be and putting new springs on if that is causing my sagging problem...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts