BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2003 bmw 325i
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well this is my first post, also my first attempt at forced induction. On a whim I went and bought a cx racing kit along with all the other goodies that are needed for my 2003 325i M54. Installed the manifold, turbo, 590cc injectors, 450lph e85 pump installed into the oem housing and wired in. Put NGK BKR7E plugs in, did the valve cover gasket when one plug had some oil. Tried for 3 days to keep the ac lines. Hah. Those are out along with the evap tank thing. I have been working on the fuel and planned on going E85, so I have a steel mesh filter, and a universal FPR. After taking the cover off the filter I now see how it runs 2 lines in... The mesh filter has 1 obviously. I have been trying to find information for the past 24 hours and I see how one line comes from each side of the tank, something to do with vacuum and distributing it to the fuel pump side first? Regardless... whats the easiest work around here? adapter for 2 into 1? Delete the secondary line and plug it? Delete both and run a new line all the way from the tank/filter/fpr/rail? Appreciate any insight!

·
Registered
2003 bmw 325i
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Well today I finally had time mess with the car and I feel dumb. No one could mention one lines a return that gets relocated from the new fpr...? Anyway just installed the new filter, about to go out in the garage and run a line to the fpr in the engine bay. Then run my return back down to that second inlet, and the fpr to the rail. After that I'm figuring out how to make a custom bracket for the intercooler

·
Registered
2003 bmw 325i
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Not that anyone is really following but I got a few hours of down time today and finally got out into the garage. Mounted the FPR in the engine bay, cut the quick connect off the fuel hose to the rail and did a AN adapter that worked perfectly into the FPR. So in, out, and return are hooked up and ready for a pressure check. While I was in the area I got my damn octopus out of there aka the ccv crap. Plugging the dip stick drain port and the 2 ports along the rail/valve cover top side. Have a catch can in the mail that I will be attaching to the front port on my Valve cover and ill re-vent it to the back vacuum port on the valve cover that is plugged. Pulled out my oil pressure sender for my oil feed, and not only did I buy the wrong thread size adapter, but the cx kit also had worthless equipment. So I have the correct thread adapter on the way as well. Apparently e46 silicone intake boots are a bitch to find, Turner motorsports is back ordered, hopefully it says they will be back in stock in another week so fingers crossed there.

·
Registered
2003 bmw 325i
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So I work 2 jobs and am a single full time dad, needless to say finding time is more like making time, so around midnight I finally snuck off to the garage and started to cut out some foam from under the hood, spent an absurd amount of time cursing and cutting and ripping out the stupid plastic retainers holding the bumper to the metal reinforcement shroud thing. So obviously will be buying new fasteners and grommets. It was too late to pull out the saw but It looks like I will have to cut back some of that reinforcement shroud to clear the filter on the turbo... also does not look fun when I will eventually have to clean or change it but I will figure that one out when I come to it. Intercooler wise it looks like there is sooooo much space to kind of fit it where I want it so I will put another update when I finally make more time to bolt it in there somehow

·
Registered
24 Posts
That's quite the project, but it seems like it's coming together well! Good luck finding time to work on it and finish it, but when it is done I'd love to see some pics!

·
Registered
2003 bmw 325i
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Finally after 4 days I had a few hours to go out and mount the intercooler, put the coolant in adapter in, plugged a few things, and cut out a knotch for the turbo air filter to fit! Ran the oil feed to the turbo from the oil pressure sender. Got my oil catch can in, random adapters, and after reading all the horror stories about the cx racing wastegate, I caved and ordered a precision wastegate, goodbye $250. Next purchases are probably going to be a nice afr and boost gauge setup

·
Registered
2003 bmw 325i
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Nice work.

How much boost?

Who will tune it?
Thanks, was just out in the garage for an hour or two but damn its 88 degrees outside... at 11pm... gotta love Florida weather. I just got the Precision wastegate in with a bunch of spring options so my plan for first start and leak testing will be the 4psi springs, with intentions of going somewhere around the 10-12psi without doing any internal work once everything works. I'm still deciding on who to tune it, I have a local shop everyone uses around here for tuning which is one option, I have a buddy who does a lot of VW turbo's who offered to tune it as a second option, or I'm still contemplating buying a spare ms43 ecu and giving it a try myself since I have been reading about the shit load of info out there on this ecu but it will all probably come down to how much spare time I end up having to dick around with that or not.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I’m so happy I passed this forum. I have a 2004 325i with the m54 and I’m looking at purchasing the CRX gt35 turbo kit from them. Nice work so far man my buddy has the same car as you with a different turbo I can’t recall what it was but after he pushed 13 pounds on stock internals he blew a head gasket.

·
Registered
2003 bmw 325i
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I’m so happy I passed this forum. I have a 2004 325i with the m54 and I’m looking at purchasing the CRX gt35 turbo kit from them. Nice work so far man my buddy has the same car as you with a different turbo I can’t recall what it was but after he pushed 13 pounds on stock internals he blew a head gasket.
Very nice! From a visual standpoint the Turbo, the Manifold, and downpipe are the quality Items, pretty much everything else is getting replaced, I will say I do wish I ordered the kit with the intercooler and spent the extra money instead of plumbing my own lol It seems like a few people with the m54b25 are getting right around the 13-14psi before needing to do studs and head gasket

·
Registered
2003 bmw 325i
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Had some time tonight to get under the car and installed the Precision wastegate with the 4psi spring for now, and figured while I was there to put the motor mount back in place and finish that part. Fun fact, listen to the bold letters on the wastegate instructions that state its under heavy spring load... my dumb ass did it waist height on a table... and that fucker's last screw let loose, even holding down some pressure, that thing went flying and shot me in the balls... god if only it was on camera lol my 4 year old had a good laugh at that one

·
Registered
2003 bmw 325i
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Found a few hours to start getting the intake all back together, and put in the adapter off the valve cover for the oil catch can!

·
Registered
2003 bmw 325i
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
that port on the valve cover looks far too small. what ID is the opening?
It's a 1'' to 3/8''. I saw a few people use multiple reducers on their setups but I thought they were kinda ugly and why not just use the 3/8 start to finish instead? I could also easily be wrong lol any thoughts?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts