BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey All...I’m looking at a ‘02 convert-manual with 63k. The owner tells me that the real seal is leaking and it needs rear shocks. What could be the potential causes in such a low milage car?
Thanks

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Hey All...I’m looking at a ‘02 convert-manual with 63k. The owner tells me that the real seal is leaking and it needs rear shocks. What could be the potential causes in such a low milage car?
Thanks
The REAR seal, that is!

·
Registered
361 Posts
Depends. These cars are old, so could be just age. Maybe it's not the seal itself but the plate in which the seal sits, so if the oil pan was ever removed, that mating surface could be leaking around it. Sometimes the rear main seal is "misdiagnosed" and it's actually a leaking cpv ring (made of poor material and needs replacing with age).

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
13 Posts
Definitely agree on the CPV, Constant Pressure Valve. Mine was leaking and the previous owner had covered the CPV with a handful of gasket sealer. The handful of gasket sealer probably cost more than the O-ring in the CPV.

One note of learned experience. After doing the CPV I was still seeing oil at the bottom of the bell housing. I thought for sure it was the Rear Main. I had to do the clutch anyway so I planned to change the rear main while I was in there. Once I pulled the transmission I found that the leaking oil had just filled up the void areas in the mounting face of the transmission bell housing. The vibration of the car running caused the pooled oil in those voids to vibrate out and look like a leak.

So if you change the CPV O-ring and it still puddles oil under the bell housing, before you do the rear main, try loosening the transmission and move it back maybe 1/8 inch. Just enough to open those voids and spray them out with some brake cleaner.

Hope that helps.
Dana

·
Registered
13 Posts
Where are you located? When I did my O-ring I took the advise from others here and bought one made of an upgraded material. I could only find them in packages of 10, so I have a few extras. If it turns out to be the CPV O-ring I might be able to toss one in the mail for you.

Dana

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Dana, I’m in Birmingham but the car I’m looking to possibly buy is in New Orleans.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts