BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What do you guys think, deal or no deal ?

Click here for add

02 BMW M3 with 41137 miles, SMG, 19" wheels, looks like silver on black.

I think it's not too bad except it's an 02. I heard repeatedely that there was some issues on 02s. What should I look for or ask the dealer ?

Would you get a bumper to bumper 50000 miles warranty with an 02?

What else should I take into consideration?

Are 03s (or 04s obviously) such a better investment than 02s (and 01s). I'm talking about known issues etc etc...

thanks

·
Registered
244 Posts
You heard right about issues with '02s.

Rod Bearing recall -- was it performed? You can probably call BMWNA with the VIN of the car to find out.

If it was done the car will now have a 6 year / 100K warranty on the drivetrain.

In 03.5 M3s came standard with LED tailights. http://m3.madrussian.net/modelchanges.shtml has further information about MY changes. If you decide you want LED tails on an 02 I believe the upgrade is going to cost you $400+.

Price seems reasonable so long as the car is solid :)

·
Registered
8,302 Posts
What do you guys think, deal or no deal ?

Click here for add

02 BMW M3 with 41137 miles, SMG, 19" wheels, looks like silver on black.
Titanium Silver Metallic (titansilber metallic)

I think it's not too bad except it's an 02. I heard repeatedely that there was some issues on 02s. What should I look for or ask the dealer ?
Seeing as how it's a GMC dealership, I would only ask them to disclose everything they know about the history of the car, and if they've had any work done on it. You know, all the right-to-know stuff, really. Chances are that unless someone there really knows that particular car well, they won't be able to tell you a whole lot except that "it's fast". Just make sure you check the title status to see that it doesn't have any problems. They're state-mandated to disclose this stuff if you ask. But as stated above, make sure you have the rod bearing recall.

Would you get a bumper to bumper 50000 miles warranty with an 02?
Again, check to see about the rod bearing recall. Other wise, you have no warranty. The BMW warranty is 4yr/50k, and you're past the 4yr mark with an '02. Extended warranties are good ideas, though.

What else should I take into consideration?
Drive it. And I don't mean around the block. Take it on the highway, see if there's any vibration. Take it on a twisty road and see if it handles correctly. Try it in S6 mode with the DSC off and SPORT mode on to see if the clutch slips at all. Take cloverleafs as fast as you can (weather permitting). Do some hard braking to check the brakes. Also, make sure you brake hard enough to set off ABS at least once to make sure ABS is working correctly. Essentially, beat the piss out of it and see if you can detect anything wrong (a clunking sound when shifting hard is normal with SMG, btw). If the salesman tells you to stop it, tell him that if you stop he's going to lose the sale. You're in this for YOU, not him. I've worked at a dealership before, so trust me when I say that salesmen will allow you to do just about anything as long as you do it. They want that sale.
Then, inspect the car. Look on the interior for cigarette burns or water damage. Inspect the outside for abnormal paint damage like scrapes, scratches, or dents. Check every switch and make sure it's 100%.
Then, bring your A-game to the table when negotiating. It's winter and M3's go down in price and also in demand, so you should get it for cheaper than that. You should be around $31k pre-tax/title/license.

Are 03s (or 04s obviously) such a better investment than 02s (and 01s). I'm talking about known issues etc etc...
They can be, but they're more expensive. I've owned an 02 for a year now and have not had one single problem with mine. I got mine w/ 27k miles and now have 44k miles.

thanks
Comments in bold. :thumbup:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts