BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 02 330ci and the CEL has come on. I have a Peake code reader and there are no codes. There is a mention in the Peake manual that there are come transmission related items that can trip CEL with no codes. The only thing that I can detect is a firm downshift from 2nd to 1st in drive. Also note that the transmission light is not on.

Does anybody have any suggestions or a good shop recommendation in So Cal. I am not afraid to tackle it myself. I have done cooling system and VANOS myself but not sure where to go.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Hi -

As you've noted, in cases where a CEL is showing, but there are no factory engine codes visible to our tool, the most common explanation is a transmission error (typically related to the torque converter). Because emissions regulations have deemed this type of error to affect efficiency, manufacturers are required to have the fault trigger the CEL. Sometimes, a generic OBDII tool will see the code, often without the ability to reset it.

Because our tools read the factory engine codes, the trans code is not visible.

If your car is an automatic/steptronic model, chances are very good that the issue is related to the transmission. We typically recommend inspection by a BMW trained tech or dealer to solve the problem.

Best of luck.

Ken

·
Registered
3,770 Posts
did you try rebooting the car? disconnect the battery, sync the wires for about 30 min, reconnect the battery and drive for 40 miles, if CEL comes on it might omce on with a code. or it might not come on at all.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts