E46 Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Recently started to experience an unusual potential problem:
It happens very rarely, and can come and go quickly, happens at slow speed and high speed. The downshift [in automatic mode] from 3rd to 2nd produces a hard clunk. No problem on upshifts and only happens when the Trans goes from 3rd to 2nd. 188K.
Could this be an Electrical Problem ?
I was thinking of changing the Trans Filter, Fliud but have been advised not to.

Thanks In Advance

·
Registered
122 Posts
The fluid change depends... Has it been changed before?? If not I would strongly advise not changing it at almost 200k. It could be a potential electrical issue but with those kind of miles I would suggest saving up for a new trans instead and just drive it till it goes.

·
Registered
286 Posts
The fluid change depends... Has it been changed before?? If not I would strongly advise not changing it at almost 200k.
I asked about this at ZF and they say it is not treu, I dont know about GM trans though. But for ZF trannies that is a myth they said.

·
Registered
122 Posts
A myth that you shouldnt change the fluid with that many miles?? It depends on the condition of the fluid in the trans now. If it is very dark (which it probably is with that kind of milage) then you should not change it because the new fluid will act like a cleaner and could possibly cause severe problems. If the fluid is brown and has no particles in it then sure, changing the fluid should be fine but you need to tell the TCM that you changed the fluid and reset the adaptation values. I just changed the fluid on a 2008 E60 with 98k miles and it causes hard 2 - 1 down shifts. We had to put a case in and ended up putting a new trans in the car. Thankfully for the owner it was still under CPO coverage.

·
Registered
286 Posts
A myth that you shouldnt change the fluid with that many miles?? It depends on the condition of the fluid in the trans now. If it is very dark (which it probably is with that kind of milage) then you should not change it because the new fluid will act like a cleaner and could possibly cause severe problems. If the fluid is brown and has no particles in it then sure, changing the fluid should be fine but you need to tell the TCM that you changed the fluid and reset the adaptation values. I just changed the fluid on a 2008 E60 with 98k miles and it causes hard 2 - 1 down shifts. We had to put a case in and ended up putting a new trans in the car. Thankfully for the owner it was still under CPO coverage.
Aha, when i'm at the ZF service center next month I'll ask about the very dark oil part. Sounds like they didn't tell me the full story, as I am inclined to believe you :D

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.