E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey guys

My e46 is currently experiencing this problem just recently whereas upon cold starting the car - car been sitting for a while - it always initially turns over to about 600rpm instead of the usual 1000rpm before promptly dying. Upon second turn over it always starts and idles perfectly fine.

This leads me to think its a fuel pressure issue possibly caused by a bad pressure regulator, leaky injectors or fuel pump.

I must note that after driving the car hard a slight groaning or whirring sound is heard from what I assume to be the Fuel filter/pressure regulator though im not quite sure. This sound does go away after driving the car normally for a bit.

I have scanned the car for codes and its not showing any error codes at all.

Thanks guys

Should also note that i have done my vanos seals and ICV/TB cleaning recently before any of these symptoms appeared. I am yet to replace my lower intake boot - though it seemed fine when i took it off - and yet to replace the fuel pump or filter.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Same thing is happening to my 03 325ci except its random in that it happens like every 5th time starting either cold or hot. Has new fuel pump but im also getting cylinder 3 misfire code, but code is always just "pending" and never throws ses light..im stumped as to whats up

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using E46Fanatics mobile app

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Same thing is happening to my 03 325ci except its random in that it happens like every 5th time starting either cold or hot. Has new fuel pump but im also getting cylinder 3 misfire code, but code is always just "pending" and never throws ses light..im stumped as to whats up

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using E46Fanatics mobile app
Did u also replace the fuel filter ? I'm thinking it's a bad pressure regulator still distributing fuel to the injectors causing s too rich condition.

·
Premium Member
28,953 Posts
Hey guys

My e46 is currently experiencing this problem just recently whereas upon cold starting the car - car been sitting for a while - it always initially turns over to about 600rpm instead of the usual 1000rpm before promptly dying. Upon second turn over it always starts and idles perfectly fine.

This leads me to think its a fuel pressure issue possibly caused by a bad pressure regulator, leaky injectors or fuel pump.

I must note that after driving the car hard a slight groaning or whirring sound is heard from what I assume to be the Fuel filter/pressure regulator though im not quite sure. This sound does go away after driving the car normally for a bit.

I have scanned the car for codes and its not showing any error codes at all.

Thanks guys

Should also note that i have done my vanos seals and ICV/TB cleaning recently before any of these symptoms appeared. I am yet to replace my lower intake boot - though it seemed fine when i took it off - and yet to replace the fuel pump or filter.
Suggest you read this thread - http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=929501

A moaning FPR, fuel filter or fuel line is usually a soft failing fuel pump. Every E46 really needs a fuel pump by now!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts