E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I dont think my car has the factory or any alarm period.

I know most bmw's and on a few of my friends when locked or unlocked it beeps and the flashers go off for a second.

My car does not do that.

i know with my friends car if you leave a window down and then try to open it up the alarm goes off.

My car doesn't i reach through the window unlock it and nothing happens.

When the trunk is open you can the places for alarm etc and it is empty.

I've searched through the fourms and havn't found the answers to my questions.

I'm guessing i dont have it

What suggestions do you guys have?

Go to dealer? My friend told me it will cost around $200 for them to do it.

GO aftermarket?

Overall i just want a secure car.

I've had cars stolen in the past which i put a lot of time and money into.

Please help

Thanks alot guys.

·
Registered
374 Posts
you didnt search very well. i've stumbled upon this info before.

if you went to the dealer and got an OEM alarm installed for $200, hop right on that because i have a hard time believing that's the real price seeing as how the alarm costs more than $200.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Mine didn't have alarm when I bought it brand new. I bought the part from Pacific BMW ($280) and installed myself. Dealer charged $150 to activated it.

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
when i bought my car new i paid $500 to the stealer to install the alarms! all you got is power lock thats it.
Or stated another way.....

"You got everything except for the noise maker" ...Which no one really pays attention to anymore anyways.

The immobilizer is really the most important peice to anti-theft security and all the E46 have that standard. All the alarm really is is a siren that will go off when a fault is detected.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Or stated another way.....

"You got everything except for the noise maker" ...Which no one really pays attention to anymore anyways.

The immobilizer is really the most important peice to anti-theft security and all the E46 have that standard. All the alarm really is is a siren that will go off when a fault is detected.

Great Point!!! I'll just spend that money on the good stuff for my car:woot:

I've been looking up all the codes is there a way to get my flashers to go off when i lock and unlock?

·
Registered
5,037 Posts
You can buy the parts used little by little. A used siren is cheap on Ebay, so are the other sensors. Activate the alarm for about 50 bucks and done. There are several threads on how to install it. Tisher has a pretty good deal on one. Install is a DIY......only thing you need BMW for....or an Indy is activation programming. Toughest part is installing the siren, but that is still easy. Change the cabin air filter at the same time you are doing that. Hope this helps. Converts are a little different and some late model facelift coupes.

·
Registered
392 Posts
everyone just get lowjack even if it doesnt have alarm you will be notified if your car is moved Via cell phone, email, txt
i think its the valuable things we have inside/on our cars. if someone steals my stereo, if lowjack couldn notify me via text as its happening, SOLD! id buy it now :D

1 - 11 of 11 Posts