E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all

Sorry for the long paragraph but just trying to be as informative as possible.

So I have been chasing what I assume was a vacuum leak car is an 02 325i 5spd with almost 161k miles. Replaced both intake boots and the Disa so far( DISA was failing the diaphragm rest and the boots were original) car was always running great plenty of power even when the CEL was on. So now the code pops for the MAF and the e3 and e4 codes for the 02 sensor adaptation limit.I will clear the code and sometimes it will clear itself but it will usually show up again on my 25 mile commute at highway speeds. I will add that on occasion the car will fall on its face when taking off from a dead stop not stall out but just like trip on its self but after that it’s golden. Car isles great starts great drives great but just this pesky codes. And just ran the code again and it’s reading e3 02 sensor adaptation code for1-3 and 08 air mass sensor. I would appreciate some help on this everyone. Thanks

·
Registered
01/2001 325cic 240,000
148 Posts
It's best to log your ODB data to verify sensor performance to determine if its the MAF or O2 sensors.

Assuming you've stopped all vacuum leaks, the e3/4 can be caused by any issue with the air fuel ratio. If the MAF code is popping too, it's probably metering wrong, and causing the O2 issues downstream.

If the pre-cat O2 sensors are original they need replacing. Bosch is the only acceptable replacement.
As for the MAF, I've been told VDO is an acceptable replacement.

·
Administrator
2004 330Ci 115k miles japan red
16,938 Posts
It is always good to include the description of each trouble code, so everyone doesn’t have to go look them up.
08: Signal, mass air flow sensor
E3: Fuel trim bank 1, permissible range exceeded
E4: Fuel trim bank 2, permissible range exceeded

Look at the following engine parameters at hot idle and post here for feedback.
  • MAF (grams/second)
  • Long term fuel trim bank 1
  • Long term fuel trim bank 2
The MAF value should be around 3.2 g/s.
Both long term fuel trims should be between -5% and +5%.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have the Bavarian Autosport code reader and it’s telling me that the E3 and E4 on table 19 are for the 02 sensor adaptation limit. I will check the readings I have a friend with a live feed code reader.

·
Administrator
16,938 Posts
I have the Bavarian Autosport code reader and it’s telling me that the E3 and E4 on table 19 are for the 02 sensor adaptation limit.
That’s right, although the wording isn’t great.
I looked up those codes on bmwfault.codes website.
Using an OBD standard scanner will likely say the fuel trims/adaptations are outside normal range.

·
Registered
11,686 Posts
Get the OBDFusion app for your smartphone or tablet. Then search this forum for threads on OBDFusion in which jfoj has commented. He’s the guru. You’ll need to buy either a WiFi or Bluetooth comms adapter that plugs into the obd2 port under the dash. jfoj’s comment will tell which to buy and how to set up the app.

·
Administrator
16,938 Posts
Get the OBDFusion app for your smartphone or tablet. Then search this forum for threads on OBDFusion in which jfoj has commented. He’s the guru. You’ll need to buy either a WiFi or Bluetooth comms adapter that plugs into the obd2 port under the dash. jfoj’s comment will tell which to buy and how to set up the app.
This OBD Fusion thread has all the info you need.

·
Registered
2,084 Posts
I have the Bavarian Autosport code reader and it’s telling me that the E3 and E4 on table 19 are for the 02 sensor adaptation limit. I will check the readings I have a friend with a live feed code reader.
BMW E46 triouble codes are in decimal. The BMW specific scanners often express these code in hexadecimal.
For example, E0 in hex = 224 in decimal, E1 = 225, E3 = 227 and E4 = 228.

Trouble codes for 224, 225, 227 and 228 are

P1181 Oxygen sensor post-cat (Bank 2), switching time sl

P1192 Post-cat sensor (Bank 1); trim control

227 P0188 Fuel trim (Bank 1), O2 control adaptation limit

228 P0189 Fuel trim (Bank 2), O2 control adaptation limit

I wouldn't worry about the O2 sensor codes they'll go away when you sort the other two out.

That's either an air leak of an overfuel depending on whether the actual values are +ve or -ve.

I attach a PDF of the trouble codes

Attachments

·
Registered
2,084 Posts
OP didn’t state that he has E0/224 or E1/225 codes. Where did you get that?
Looking at the OP's first comment I am pretty sure the line "and the e3 and e4 codes for the 02 sensor adaptation limit ", as it is now, read "and the e0 and e1 codes for the 02 sensor adaptation limit". Which would actually be the correct codes for for the 02 sensor adaptation limits. E3 and E4 are fuel trims. I dunno. Maybe he editted it or something since I posted my response. Albeit incorrectly. I know this much, I don't comment on imaginary problems. Why would I? Anyway. No matter. The information I have given is accurate. It's not going to mislead anyone.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I’m goin off what was in the Bavarian Autosport code book. I just ran the code again and now I’m getting the clutch switch, air mass sensor and 02 sensor adaptation limit form banks 1-3

·
Administrator
16,938 Posts
Looking at the OP's first comment I am pretty sure the line "and the e3 and e4 codes for the 02 sensor adaptation limit ", as it is now, read "and the e0 and e1 codes for the 02 sensor adaptation limit". Which would actually be the correct codes for for the 02 sensor adaptation limits. E3 and E4 are fuel trims. I dunno. Maybe he editted it or something since I posted my response. Albeit incorrectly. I know this much, I don't comment on imaginary problems. Why would I? Anyway. No matter. The information I have given is accurate. It's not going to mislead anyone.
BigBopper:
Wasn’t trying to be pedantic or call you wrong, was just wondering if I missed something. Only interested in helping OP solve his issues so any insight is always helpful.

E46.325i.5spd:
  • Be careful to not get misled by the “O2” in the description. It’s not saying your O2 sensor is bad. It’s saying the DME (engine computer) could not adapt its fuel control to match the air/fuel ratio it calculates by reading the O2 sensors. The fact you have these fuel trim codes means the O2 sensors are working.
  • Please gather the data I mentioned in post #3 above and add it in this thread. That will tell us a lot more about what the fuel managmenet system is doing and how to proceed.
  • Highly suggest you get a wireless OBD adapter and the OBD Fusion app to troubleshoot this issue as INPA is not nearly as useful. Hit the link I have in post #7 above.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
No problem. I appreciate any help I can get. I have been doing a little more digging and my symptoms are pointing to the MAF. I’m running a test on it tomorrow.

·
Administrator
16,938 Posts
The converted MAF value is about 3.0 g/s, which is about right for a 325 engine.

Both long term fuel trims are quite high at +11%, showing lean condition. Might be vacuum leaks or soft failing fuel pump.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Any chance of the gas cap is original that could cause a vacuum leak? And anywhere in particular to look since the code only pops at freeway speeds?

·
Premium Member
E30M3 Race F10 535 R1150Rt M Coupe
7,712 Posts
Smoke testing IMO should be something that's done every so often when fuel trims get out of line.
Gas caps often leak, (don't seal) however NOT engine vacuum. A bad cap sets an EVAP fault 90% of the time.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Ok everyone I think I found the issues
Smoke testing IMO should be something that's done every so often when fuel trims get out of line.
Gas caps often leak, (don't seal) however NOT engine vacuum. A bad cap sets an EVAP fault 90% of the time.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts