E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this topic has been on the wiki over the internet and there are endless threads regarding it however I was unable to find someone with a similar case to mine as 99% of the people's problem turn out to be wheel speed sensors.

I had my yearly inspection on Saturday and just the next day my car has all those three lights illuminated on the dashboard. I had it scanned and the only error it was giving is C1DF5 - Control Unit Faulty.

I cleared the errors, turned the car back on and bam, the lights came on again. Took out the battery, put it back in again but to no avails, the lights were still on.

My mechanic took out the module (which is a ***** to get to since it's under the brakes pump) and changed the EEPROM (the only thing you could do) and put it back in, the lights stayed on. Another scanner reset, and the same error came up.

I'm puzzled. Now we try to perform a bleed for the brakes so I could at least drive it without the ABS using the normal brakes to thrawt the air out of them and the test keeps failing since the scanner computer always returns 'unexpected response from control unit'.

I live in a part of the world where we don't have the luxury of online shops that ship any part and I've been searching all day in the used parts shop but no luck for my ABS module.

Questions are as follow:

1- Since there are no errors other than this control unit on the scanner, does that guarantee the ABS module is responsible for this?
2- The mechanic insists that the wheel speed sensors are not at fault since the scanner did not show any errors relating to them (and they do come up the list of things you can initiate on the scanner), could they be the cause? Although I doubt it.
3- My speedometer and odometers are working perfectly fine, if this matters.

Any one who can shed a light on the problem is more than welcome to do so while I keep searching for a module, if you suspect anything else, feel free to say it.

I'm getting tired of this issue especially since the inspection guys there should have known better :(

·
Registered
88 Posts
Hi Mate, these lights kept coming up on my dash and the scan showed no fault codes. My local garage took the back wheels off and gave there a good cleaning as they said it was all caked with breakdust and one of the brakes was rubbing. This hasnt happened since they did this so it cured it for me. It may not work for you but its worth a try i suppose!!

·
Registered
5,403 Posts
as 99% of the people's problem turn out to be wheel speed sensors.
that is incorrect just an fyi.

If you have a control module fault, then you are probably going to need a control module, they go bad all the time.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts