BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

21 - 40 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
I had the same problem posted by "E46_M3Power" user (7/13/2011). I think I finally fixed it after 2 years of trial and error. First I tried the silicone bead across the front edge where the canvas meets the rubber. That did not stop the leak. Next I tried waterproofing the canvas top with 303 Fabric Guard which you should do annually anyway. That did not work. I checked that the drainage hole and channel that runs down the side of the windshield was not clogged. It wasn't. Here is what I did: I used a 1/4" solid piece of gray foam insulation, the same material that you'd use to wrap hot water pipes (see sample of foam next to a US dime). Insert a piece about 4 inches long into the support frame along side of the roof (in the pic, the end of the foam is seen).

Attachments

·
Supporting Vendor
78 Posts
Here is what I did: I used a 1/4" solid piece of gray foam insulation, the kind you wrap around hot water pipes (see sample of foam next to a US dime). Insert a piece about 4 inches long into the support frame along side of the roof (in the pic, the end of the foam is seen).
Nice - hope that it works long term, and that it will help many others. The round pieces of foam as shown in your picture are often referred to as "caulk saver" in hardware stores, and they are available in various thicknesses.

Klaus

http://www.tophydraulicsinc.com/en/56-bmw-e46

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have the same problem on my vert here in England its torrential rain at the moment and I cant seem to fix it. it seems to puddle on the rubber section and weep through! tried the silicone and treating the rubbers. the drains are clear. but I just cant put my finger on the cause.

rubbers seem in good condition but water is getting through. im getting that frustrated by it im tempted to change the top seal and the seal on the roof itself! but this is going to cost me a arm and a leg when im sure its a easy fix as its not leaking loads but enough to give my mrs a wet bum!

·
Registered
39 Posts
I have the same problem on my vert here in England its torrential rain at the moment and I cant seem to fix it. it seems to puddle on the rubber section and weep through! tried the silicone and treating the rubbers. the drains are clear. but I just cant put my finger on the cause.

rubbers seem in good condition but water is getting through. im getting that frustrated by it im tempted to change the top seal and the seal on the roof itself! but this is going to cost me a arm and a leg when im sure its a easy fix as its not leaking loads but enough to give my mrs a wet bum!
Solved?

Interesting topic!

·
Registered
57 Posts
Actually no. Not solved. While shoving the foam strip into that crevice prevents water from collecting in there, water is still getting past the seal between roof and top of windshield. I cut a piece of 1/16 inch thick foam wrap (the kind you might wrap a fragile item with), placed it near the top of both pillars and closed the roof on it. It's been dry since I did this about 6 months ago but I haven't driven in a heavy rain yet. Obviously not a permanent solution but it might indicate that the rubber is not making strong contact in those areas. Will keep tinkering.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

·
Premium Member
20,930 Posts
Mine only leaks when it's parked in such a way that water can build up in the top/ windshield junction. I mean really build up, like a thunderstorm. And it's in a nose down attitude.

Weird. I still haven't figured out quite what causes it

·
Registered
39 Posts
Mine only leaks when it's parked in such a way that water can build up in the top/ windshield junction. I mean really build up, like a thunderstorm. And it's in a nose down attitude.

Weird. I still haven't figured out quite what causes it

Mine only when parked, never when riding, even if it's storming.

·
Spunkmeister Jay
458 Posts
That gummi stuff is awesome i used it on all the old seals on my a4 cab works wonders

·
Registered
85 Posts
I had the same issue. I used black RTV to fix it. Small tear on the rubber seal on the passenger side meeting the top and then both sides needed the plastic center insert sealed up since the glue had cracked. Kind of hard to explain without seeing it. No leaks with our last rain.

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
on mine the rubber seal to the windshield had cracked. Presumably due to age. I used silicone to seal the tear. Worked great for a few years. I think I may have to go revisit this spring since it dripped a couple of times last summer. Car is in storage for the winter.

·
Registered
2,820 Posts
Mine only leaks when it's parked in such a way that water can build up in the top/ windshield junction. I mean really build up, like a thunderstorm. And it's in a nose down attitude. Weird. I still haven't figured out quite what causes it
I get a few drops still on the passenger seat after a rainstorm. I back into my slightly sloped driveway in the rainy season so water must be collecting just a bit in the seal. Again, it's never more than 2-3 drops as I pull out of the driveway. I'm not parking in the flat street to test my theory.

·
Registered
186 Posts
I have the same problem on my driverside. Will try to seal it like others have suggested

Sent from my [device_name] using E46Fanatics mobile app

·
Registered
2003 325Ci Convertible
145 Posts
Just in case anyone else has this problem, i wanted to document the fix with pics so others can see. My a-pillar leak was also caused by a crack on the front convertible top seal over the windscreen. Note that this is the seal on the convertible top side - not the windscreen side. You could always replace the seal (Pt. #54318229828) but thats anywhere from $650-750 so i chose not to go that route.

I pulled back the seal and saw a crack about on the drivers side about an inch and a half long and about 6 inches away from the side of the car. There was another crack on the passenger's side about the same distance from the side of the car as the drivers side. I cleaned the area with rubbing alcohol, folded painters tape over the canvas to protect it, and then pulled back the rubber in order to apply Permatex rubber sealant into the crack (this stuff works amazing and is way better than black silicone). I then closed the top and left it alone for 24hrs so that everything sealed nicely. No more leaks!

Thanks to Lair and EVMadman for their insight into the issue, couldn't have fixed it without their posts:

My car developed this issue recently. I took some time to check it out last weekend, and found the problem. Raise your top a few inches and look at the seal that goes across the front edge of the canvas top. Pull the seal down gently and you'll find a couple of cracks in it where it meets the top. The water runs into the cracked seal and drains out on the left & right sides.

I bought a tube of black silicone at Lowes and ran a thin bead all the way across the seal (where it meets the canvas). I also sealed the outside gaps on the left & right sides where the top seals meet the side seals. It's been raining all day today, and the car is dry inside.

This is not a task for anyone who's unfamiliar with a caulking gun and sealer. You can make a huge mess in a hurry. If you're brave enough to try it, I recommend using blue painter's tape on the canvas and the front edge of the seal.
I had the same leak, both sides, and solved it with the silicone caulk as Lair described it. If you look at where the cloth meets the rubber seal, you will probably see some cracking. Mainly towards the sides. A bead of black silicone solves the problem. Be neat and get the caulk in as deep as possible and it will look fine. Gummi pfledge is good for the conditioning rubber seals, but this is caused by cracks.

Also, leave your car running when you close the top. The alternator puts out higher voltage than the battery can supply by itself and the top will close tighter.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Just in case anyone else has this problem, i wanted to document the fix with pics so others can see. My a-pillar leak was also caused by a crack on the front convertible top seal over the windscreen. Note that this is the seal on the convertible top side - not the windscreen side. You could always replace the seal (Pt. #54318229828) but thats anywhere from $650-750 so i chose not to go that route.

I pulled back the seal and saw a crack about on the drivers side about an inch and a half long and about 6 inches away from the side of the car. There was another crack on the passenger's side about the same distance from the side of the car as the drivers side. I cleaned the area with rubbing alcohol, folded painters tape over the canvas to protect it, and then pulled back the rubber in order to apply Permatex rubber sealant into the crack (this stuff works amazing and is way better than black silicone). I then closed the top and left it alone for 24hrs so that everything sealed nicely. No more leaks!

Thanks to Lair and EVMadman for their insight into the issue, couldn't have fixed it without their posts:

So this crack you're seeing on that front seal, is it actually a crack or is the weather stripping just coming loose? I found what looks to be the same thing but I can pull the weather stripping out of its groove completely. I'm just curious if your solution will fix my problem as well.

Attachments

21 - 40 of 53 Posts