BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've not been on this forum much recently, but I picked up a neglected 2001 330Ci with a 5 speed swap and some other goodies (M3 rear end, Konis, headers, etc.) and it's having issues...

Anyway, I've been reading a lot on here and it has helped some, but I getting some very bad performance from the engine now. Starting to play around with OBDFusion, but so far I still have no idea what's going on...

I'm getting lean, misfiring with fuel cutoff, and some other codes right now. What's weird is the car ran pretty decent when I first picked it up late last year. Recently I've replaced the upstream O2 sensors (with good used ones, might need new), clutch fan with electric, all coolant and some of the cooling system, new power steering pump, swapped coils and plugs. None of this really changed anything...getting a bunch of new parts (NGK plugs, fuel filter, vanos seals, vacuum lines, etc.) in this weekend.

Any input would be appreciated, thanks

Attachments

·
Premium Member
28,970 Posts
How many miles on the car?

Is the fuel pump original?

Has the CCV and hoses ever been replaced?

Any specific mods like catch can?

Not sure there is such a thing as "good used" O2 sensors. O2 sensors start to degrade the moment they are installed, so maybe you have used O2 sensors that were better than your original sensors? Understand that O2 sensors are consumables like spark plugs and filters and are maintenance items. 100k mile is the typical recommended service interval.

O2 sensors rarely cause a Lean condition and if they can report a Lean condition they are working "good enough" for the time being. I would focus your efforts on other things like vacuum leaks and possibly a failing fuel pump.

You should read this thread as well: Solve your misfires, lean codes, rough idle - https://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=897616

Well you have OBDFusion, however, you offered no data. Need codes, Freeze Frame and Fuel Trim data. All can be obtained by running a Diagnostic Report.

Short version for configuration on OBDFusion.

YOU MUST change the Airflow from lb/min to g/s. Should be under General, Settings, Units, Airflow.

YOU MUST check the box to Auto Save Diagnostic Report. Can be found Settings, General, all the way to the bottom of the display Diagnostics, Auto Store Diagnostic Report, make sure to "check" the box.

Another thing, DO NOT post screen shots, they SUX from ANY App or program.

Run a Diagnostic Report, under Diagnostics, Report (note if you have a small phone you WILL NOT see report in the top Menu banner, you will ONLY see Trouble Codes, Freeze Frame and PID Values. You MUST touch any one of the 3 previously mentioned Menu items and then swipe from Right to Left to find Report. OR turn the phone from Portrait to Landscape. Run the Diagnostic Report while the engine is warm and at idle in Park/Neutral with no load (lights, AC, heated seats or rear defroster). IGNORE any pop up warning about running the Diagnostic Report while the engine is running.

Then either post the Diagnostic Report via a DropBox or some other file sharing link or READ the PDF in the link attached below and send it to the email address in the Logging instructions.

https://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=1097893

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
jfoj

Thanks for the info and the message about swapping O2 sensors. I think I’ve read those threads but I’ll do so again, and I must have missed the auto save for the reports setting before so thanks for the reminder on that too.

I tried swapping the O2 sensors after work and it seemed about the same, but I just let it idle for awhile while trying to figure out all the options and features the fusion app.

Some of my parts came in today so I changed out the circa 2011 fuel filter and cleared the codes and took it for a short test drive. It threw some lean codes but then seems much better and has way more power so that was likely at least a good chunk of the issue.

Fuel pump is likely original since I have maintenance records for the car.

Mileage is around 183k

CCV looks newer but not sure how old. When I was first driving it I did notice it burns some oil possibly, but the valve cover was also leaking so tough to say how much it was burning.

I’ve noticed a lot of the maintenance items on the car are like circa 2011-2013 so at least some stuff was addressed in the past.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I don’t have a catch can. I recently got a slightly tuned DME with EWS, post cat O2 sensors, SAP deleted and a slight timing advancement. The current issues seemed exactly the same with the stock and tuned ECU.

I should mention this car was manual swapped by one of the POs so it has the gear cog error light on all the time on the cluster but no TCU is installed currently. I don’t think that’s related to the current issues though.

I’ll try and get some better logs tomorrow but I think the fuel filter helped a lot. Thanks

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The goal is not to clear codes, it is to figure out what is making the computer read lean. Start monitoring your LTFTs as you do each tactic.

Normal operating range is +/- 2%
Code fires at 10%
Big gap of poor efficiency if you just deal with code

Thanks for the input, I’ve had a number of BMWs but I’ve not really dealt with this sort of thing. I realize just clearing the codes doesn’t do anything long term.

I just looked at my LTFTs for the short drive yesterday and for both banks it is always 0

I assume that means it’s still not right or something about the use of the logging app i did wrong. Any idea what would cause all 0 values for LTFTs?

·
Premium Member
28,970 Posts
Can you get a warm Idle Log with the O2 sensor connections swapped?

Did the "used" O2 sensors seem to have any splices?

Please send the Logs directly from your phone/tablet, not sure what you did with the original Log files but every row/line is blank data and it make working with the files impossible.

Do not worry about the LTFT, your Fuel Mixture Control is so screwed up the engine is currently only running on STFT and they are really screwed up as well.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
jfoj,

Thanks I should have time for some more logging later today. Sorry about the messed up .csv files, not sure what I did to them, might have been something about using a tablet and my phone. They looked fine on my teblet, but I'm sure I did something wrong.

The O2 sensors were from a donor E39 525i and looked to have been replaced, but I should probably get new ones after I dealt with some other stuff. They are real Bosch ones with the standard plugs (no splices).

·
Premium Member
28,970 Posts
Bosch 13477 Direct Replacement O2 sensors are about $50 each. If you shop them, you might be able to get them cheaper with coupons for online ordering and in store pick up at Advance or AutoZone.

Do not open the .CSV files, send them directly from the device you Log with.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah I will probably get new ones soon. So I’ve been replacing the small rubber vacuum lines and I found the I don’t seem to have the small round in-line vacuum non-return valve that’s supposed to be located near the back of the intake manifold. Part number: 11611312737

How important is that valve, could that be part of my issue with lean codes?

·
Premium Member
28,970 Posts
Yeah I will probably get new ones soon. So I’ve been replacing the small rubber vacuum lines and I found the I don’t seem to have the small round in-line vacuum non-return valve that’s supposed to be located near the back of the intake manifold. Part number: 11611312737

How important is that valve, could that be part of my issue with lean codes?
So your car has been modified, it has headers and other things done to it. Does it still have all the SAP parts and are they connected?? This is a big question because someone may have played around and removed and disabled systems on the car, they may have even swapped in an intake from a different engine.

Who knows what the history of this car is. You need to go into this by confirming every part of the car that is correct or that has been modified along with figuring out what parts are working properly.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for the input guys.

I still have all my SAP stuff currently, I think what happened is the line from the electrical valve back to the backside of the intake manifold just broke at the non-return valve at some point and the valve was lost. When I was feeling around back there I just found the two end of a vacuum line where the non/return valve should be. I went ahead and just replaced all the vacuum lines and after I get a new non-return valve I’ll install it.

So in summary, I had a broken vacuum line at the back of the intake manifold, which definitely may have been contributing to my lean codes.

Annoyingly FCP shorted me two spark plugs so now I have to run to store...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts