BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,873 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:banghead: Good evening fellow gearheads and bimmer dreamers help me if you would with a new issue with Sally-Sue the 00 E46 323i with ~326,600 miles. The other day I went out to start her up and after pulling out of the parking space and beginning to accelerate I got an EML accompanied with a ASC-T/DSC illumination on my dashboard. The car lost all ability to accelerate above 1900 rpm's and at 1900 the needle just bounces between 1950 and 2050. I check for codes even though I don't have a CEL and I get a code 77 on my Peake which is (MDK) Motorized Throttle valve mechanically stuck. I assumed it was my fuel pump and changed it and the problem continues to exist. My only other thought is that the left side level sensor needs replacing as well. Anywho, hit me with your best shot and give me your guesses so I can begin the process of illumination. Thanks in advance...

·
Registered
1,873 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Done some more research and it appears that my throttle body butterfly maybe stuck and not responding... Therefore I will be taking the throttle body out and cleaning it tomorrow morning, please let me know if I'm on the right track.

·
Registered
103,526 Posts
Yep, that would be the failsafe kicking in so you don't suddenly speed off into oblivion. Inspecting the throttle is the right place to start. It's hopefully just a little gunk that will clean up with some carb cleaner.

·
Registered
1,873 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yep, that would be the failsafe kicking in so you don't suddenly speed off into oblivion. Inspecting the throttle is the right place to start. It's hopefully just a little gunk that will clean up with some carb cleaner.
:idea: Should I use carb cleaner or brake cleaner to clean the throttle body...

·
Registered
103,526 Posts
:idea: Should I use carb cleaner or brake cleaner to clean the throttle body...
I'd stick with O2 sensor safe carb cleaner. Brake cleaner is supposed to be just about the same, but it isn't guaranteed to be non-fouling. Carb cleaner is usually cheap anyway.

·
Registered
1,873 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Got up this morning and pulled the throttle body, it only took an hour and a half; but a half hour was spent trying to figure out how to get the freakin lower intake boot off because the bracket screw was on the underside facing the firewall. Any-who, the problem is the throttle body is stuck closed. There is a lot of carbon build-up and when you turn the accelerator cable mechanism the throttle doesn't move at all. The throttle flap is seized shut in the closed position. I'm letting it soak in cleaner to get the carbon off and then I planning on letting it soak in WD-40 to see if the flap will free itself, if not I will just replace the throttle body with a recycled part and keep it movin, let me know if anyone has any ideas that might fix this situation or if it can be fixed... Thanks in advance, I'll surely get back at cha!

·
Registered
103,526 Posts
That lower boot clamp is known to be a pain.
Post pics of the gunked up TB if you can!

·
Registered
26,417 Posts
Got up this morning and pulled the throttle body, it only took an hour and a half; but a half hour was spent trying to figure out how to get the freakin lower intake boot off because the bracket screw was on the underside facing the firewall. Any-who, the problem is the throttle body is stuck closed. There is a lot of carbon build-up and when you turn the accelerator cable mechanism the throttle doesn't move at all. The throttle flap is seized shut in the closed position. I'm letting it soak in cleaner to get the carbon off and then I planning on letting it soak in WD-40 to see if the flap will free itself, if not I will just replace the throttle body with a recycled part and keep it movin, let me know if anyone has any ideas that might fix this situation or if it can be fixed... Thanks in advance, I'll surely get back at cha!
First, that you didn't know how to get the intake off means you've had it on a long time...Nice!

Second, I'd remove TB and spray the hell out of it with carb cleaner...and might as well replace the gasket behind for maybe $10...and, of course, how could you be that close to the icv without cleaning it also...which might account for some of the idle fluctuation you have.

Also, nothing personal, Zach, coz you're my hero...but when you saw the code for Throttle stuck, I don't know why you went to fuel pump. I know the myth is that codes never mean what they say, but sometimes they do! Anyway, I would have written something stupid like "maybe TB needs cleaning" and saved you a little trouble and a little money! Keep your old fuel pump around...might want it again in another 200K miles!

Brake cleaner, btw, I've heard is too aggressive...seems similar to carb cleaner in taste, but I'm not sure of the formulation, so just be safe and use that...or...TB cleaner (which you can also get).

·
Registered
1,873 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
First, that you didn't know how to get the intake off means you've had it on a long time...Nice!

Second, I'd remove TB and spray the hell out of it with carb cleaner...and might as well replace the gasket behind for maybe $10...and, of course, how could you be that close to the icv without cleaning it also...which might account for some of the idle fluctuation you have.

Also, nothing personal, Zach, coz you're my hero...but when you saw the code for Throttle stuck, I don't know why you went to fuel pump. I know the myth is that codes never mean what they say, but sometimes they do! Anyway, I would have written something stupid like "maybe TB needs cleaning" and saved you a little trouble and a little money! Keep your old fuel pump around...might want it again in another 200K miles!

Brake cleaner, btw, I've heard is too aggressive...seems similar to carb cleaner in taste, but I'm not sure of the formulation, so just be safe and use that...or...TB cleaner (which you can also get).
Thanks DMAX, the reason I thought it was the fuel pump is that my fuel level sensor has been acting out. The fuel level hasn't been reading correctly since I got back from overseas. Through research I read in the Bentley forum that an individual had a MDK code, same symptoms and it turned out to be his fuel pump. Yeah, I know same symptoms don't always mean same problem, as it turns out I replaced the pump and it turns out the driver's side fuel level sender is bad. Thanks my man, I let you know how it goes...

·
Registered
1,873 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Mission Completed; I pulled the throttle body cleaned it and ended up giving it a small tap with a chisel and rubber mallet and that freed the seized flap. I used brake cleaner because the O2 sensor safe/carb cleaner din't make a dent in the dirt and grime. I suppose 12 years and ~326,600 miles is a lot of build-up. Any-who, Sally-Sue is feelin like her old self. Still have to do the driver's side fuel level sensor, control arms/bushings and fix a small leak in my rear differential. Thanks for the support...

·
Registered
103,526 Posts
Mission Completed; I pulled the throttle body cleaned it and ended up giving it a small tap with a chisel and rubber mallet and that freed the seized flap. I used brake cleaner because the O2 sensor safe/carb cleaner din't make a dent in the dirt and grime. I suppose 12 years and ~326,600 miles is a lot of build-up. Any-who, Sally-Sue is feelin like her old self. Still have to do the driver's side fuel level sensor, control arms/bushings and fix a small leak in my rear differential. Thanks for the support...
:clap:

·
Registered
1,873 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Let me get my "Easy Button" clean your Idle Control Valve and Throttle Body every 100,000 miles...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts