E46 Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2000 BMW 323i
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today I installed an after market steering wheel in my BMW. When taking off the factory wheel, I accidentally unwinded the clock string cables. I tried my best to rewind them but that doesn’t really work. Can I just cut it out? Will It throw codes or mess anything else up? I’m guessing they are just there to have steering wheel controls and cruise control. If I ever wanted those again with the stock wheel I would have to buy a new clock spring. But should I just be able to remove it/ cut it out and just use my aftermarket wheel?

·
Premium Member
2000 E46 323i, 3.0L, 2.8L and 2.0L Z3's
1,934 Posts
Beside the steering wheel controls, you will loose the horn and airbag (get airbag light on dash). Don't know what you need for your state inspection but no horn and an airbag light usually fails inspection where I come from.

·
Registered
2000 BMW 323i
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Beside the steering wheel controls, you will loose the horn and airbag (get airbag light on dash). Don't know what you need for your state inspection but no horn and an airbag light usually fails inspection where I come from.
But besides no controls and the air bag, It would be fine if I removed it?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.