BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 85 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello e46fanatics!

Recently bought an ‘04 ZHP 6spd from another forum member.

Current mileage: 135k

The car spent all of its life in CA and NV so it comes to NJ with zero rust (confirmed by inspection). The previous owner had it for 8-9 years and he is a certified mechanic who took care of a lot of preventive maintenance expected to be done. Of course, that’s the first interval completed for many of these items so will look forward to doing them again when we get there.

This is my third e46 and with the car population dwindling, I’m guessing it may be my last. Therefore, I plan to make this one go for the long haul.

Here is the maintenance list he’d provided me:

Front Control Arm Bushings - Powerflex PFF5-4601X2 - 90k

Rear Trailing Arm Bushings - Powerflex PFR5-3608BLK - 90k

Manual Transmission Fluid - Royal Purple Syncromax - 90k

Differential Fluid - Redline 75W90 - 95k

Rear Shock Tower Reinforcement Plates - 95k

Oil Filter Housing Gasket - Mahle B32350 - 100k

Valve Cover Gasket - OEM BMW 11120030496P - 100k

Oil Pressure Sensor - ÜRO PARTS 12611710509 - 100k

Valve Cover PCV Vent Hose - ÜRO PARTS 11611432559 - 100k

Spark Plugs - NGK BKR6EQUP - 100k

Main Drive Belt - OEM BMW 11287636379 - 100k

A/C Drive Belt - CONTITECH 4K863 - 100k

Mechanical Belt Tensioner - Febi 11281427252 - 100k

Fuel Filter - BOSCH 71069 - 105k

Throttle Body Boot - OEM BMW 13541438759 - 105k

Upper Radiator Hose - REIN CHR0001P - 110k

Lower Radiator Hose - REIN CHR0002P - 110k

Waterpump - ÜRO PARTS 11517527799 - 110k

Thermostat - MAHLE TM1397 - 110k

Expansion Tank - OEM BMW 17117573781 - 110k

Radiator Drain Plug - OEM BMW 17111707818 - 110k

Coolant Flush/Replacement - OEM BMW 82141467704 - 110k

Transmission Mounts - REIN AVT0180 - 115k

Intake Air Filter - Mann 13721744869 - 120k

Front & Rear Brakes - Zimmerman/Akebono KIT-330BK4 - 125k

Brake Flush - Pentosin DOT 4 - 125k

Tires - Continental ExtremeContact DW 235/40/18 - 125k

Oil changes have always been performed using Pentosin Super Performance III or Liquimoly 5w-30 and a Mahle oil filter at 5k mile intervals.

Current mods:
- Lowering Springs
- Style 94 wheels
- Yellow high beams
- Smoked corner lights
- RCR Tail lights

Here’s my initial maintenance pending, starting with the regular items:
- Oil Change (Done)
- Engine Air Filter, intake boots replacement
- Clean MAF Sensor & Throttle Body
- Cabin Air Filter
- New shocks & struts
- Maybe: New radiator & Coolant Flush (Mishimoto?)

Then the fun stuff:
- UUC SSK + DSSR (Original shifter is sloppy)
- Clutch Replacement kit (it’s probably about damn time)
- Style 135 wheels

IMG_2080.JPG IMG_2081.JPG IMG_2083.JPG IMG_2085.JPG IMG_2090.JPG IMG_2174.jpg IMG_2086.JPG
- I’ll add to this list on an as needed/wanted basis

Sent from my iPhone using E46Fanatics mobile app

·
Registered
35 Posts
personally I think doing the clutch at 135k is premature, but that is up to you. I have had multiple cars with over 180k on the original clutch and flywheel, without any noticeable issues. If you do plan on doing it make sure to do the rear main seal, transmission seals, the shifter rebuild and possibly transmission drift pin bushing (is that still a problem on the 6spd??)

Also noticed that the previous owner had replaced PCV vent hose, but not gone and redone the notorious CCV system. Its recommended that you change it to the cold weather updated parts now that you are in NJ and will experience short cold drives.( or upgrade to M56 valve cover like many have done.)

I really dont see a point in cleaning or messing with the MAF at all. never really seen them go bad, and if its working fine, LEAVE IT ALONE. can only cause issues. You would be better off cleaning the throttle body and changing the DISA O-rings.

I didn't see any brake maintenance listed here, maybe it was left out? Good I dead to check the brakes and possibly flush the fluid if it hasn't been done. The calipers notorious for seizing and changing fluid can prevent this.

All and all great car and amazing find! wish I could afford a nice E46 with lower miles to take with me into the future.. Gonna be a gem in 10-15 years..
Good luck!

PS you need one of these!

Attachments

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
personally I think doing the clutch at 135k is premature, but that is up to you. I have had multiple cars with over 180k on the original clutch and flywheel, without any noticeable issues. If you do plan on doing it make sure to do the rear main seal, transmission seals, the shifter rebuild and possibly transmission drift pin bushing (is that still a problem on the 6spd??)

Also noticed that the previous owner had replaced PCV vent hose, but not gone and redone the notorious CCV system. Its recommended that you change it to the cold weather updated parts now that you are in NJ and will experience short cold drives.( or upgrade to M56 valve cover like many have done.)

I really dont see a point in cleaning or messing with the MAF at all. never really seen them go bad, and if its working fine, LEAVE IT ALONE. can only cause issues. You would be better off cleaning the throttle body and changing the DISA O-rings.

I didn't see any brake maintenance listed here, maybe it was left out? Good I dead to check the brakes and possibly flush the fluid if it hasn't been done. The calipers notorious for seizing and changing fluid can prevent this.

All and all great car and amazing find! wish I could afford a nice E46 with lower miles to take with me into the future.. Gonna be a gem in 10-15 years..

Good luck!

PS you need one of these!

I knew I can find some expert advice here. I will adjust my list accordingly!

Is the strut brace for sale? :)

·
OEM ///PLUS
2003 M3 6MT Slicktop
23,465 Posts
personally I think doing the clutch at 135k is premature, but that is up to you. I have had multiple cars with over 180k on the original clutch and flywheel, without any noticeable issues.
agreed, unless you notice something with clutch it's most likely good and will be for some time.

on your parts list i'm surprised this (certified mechanic) owner used a URO brand water pump.:eek:

car looks very clean, congrats. :thumbup:

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sorry for my long silence everyone. Been going through the wonderful world of home-purchase. Financing secured and closing tomorrow.

Thus, haven’t really been able to perform any new maintenance or mods other than these:
1. oil change
2. airbag recalls, and
3. Tail light ground cable recall

To make my life easier, and because Father’s Day is coming up and I couldn’t think of any other way to celebrate my home purchase (where the garage is what I’m most excited about lol),
I ordered me a Quick Jack BL-5000SLX so I don’t have to break my bones jacking up the car before I work under it. (No affiliation here, but Home Depot got a pretty good deal going on, ending today 06/09/19)

Totally thrilled, I’ll upload pics when I set it up.

Up next is shocks, struts, air filters.

Sent from my iPhone using E46Fanatics

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Quick father-son activity, washing the ZHP.
I did get a power washer with the soap attachment so when we move to the house, won’t have to use these damn time-limited money-sucking devices.

IMG_2518.jpg IMG_2514.jpg

·
Registered
19 Posts
Great looking car, lmk when you want to get rid of those style 94's, I live in Middlesex county. What kind of radio/nav is that? I have an '03 330i. Just did a ton of maintenance, any questions lmk...

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Great looking car, lmk when you want to get rid of those style 94's, I live in Middlesex county. What kind of radio/nav is that? I have an '03 330i. Just did a ton of maintenance, any questions lmk...

Actually, I’ve been looking for a set of ZHP wheels for winter and keeping these for the summers. Didn’t think about getting rid of these, but we can def get a convo started. What are you running now? PM me pics please!

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Fun weekend project by the wife. $20 MeWant Steering Wheel Cover. A hilarious process, but I get to (1) preserve the alcantara; (2) have the new car feeling with the faux leather, and (3) enjoy the m-color stitching.

IMG_2522.jpg IMG_2523.jpg

P.S. I’m putting up the Style 94s for sale. LMK if interested.

·
Registered
487 Posts
You should also inspect the DISA valve flap. Sometimes the pin in these flaps can get loose, which could eventually make it's way into the engine. I'd also recommend the DISA rebuild kit if it hasn't been done.

I also recommend getting 3M cavity wax plus and spraying the inner body panels, as many as you can reach without taking the car apart. While your at it, check the battery compartment for a leaking battery. You definitely do not want any acid on the battery compartment floor pan.

I would also recommend checking the rear wheel arches. There is a bolt that tends to rust over time which causes the rear quarter panel to rust. If you can do some preventative maintenance like fluid film on those areas, it could definitely help.

Finally, there are some leakage points that could result in water entering the vehicle. You should check out the sunroof drains to make sure they are properly secured along with the rear tail lights. These are two common areas where water can find it's way into the car.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
So as promised, here’s the quickjack set up. I got myself a set of style 135s from a forum member and will be slapping on some blizzaks (stacked oddly to protect my 94s).

Ordered air filters, pending new shocks and struts! IMG_2589.jpg IMG_2591.jpg IMG_2606.jpg IMG_2607.jpg

·
Registered
BMW 330i 2004
352 Posts
Beautiful ... looks like the front seats were replaced , too?
What kind of seats are those?

·
OEM ///PLUS
2003 M3 6MT Slicktop
23,465 Posts
..looks like the front seats were replaced , too?
What kind of seats are those?
those are the cloth/alcantara seats which were standard with the “zhp”

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
IMG_2659.jpg IMG_2660.jpg

Quick and easy engine air filter (Hengst) & Cabin air filter (Mann FreciousPlus) replacement.

Ordering shocks and struts shortly. Do you guys recommend new mounts or do they last forever?

·
Registered
37 Posts
I'm the only one who likes style 94's? I think they look great on this car vs style 135's. This pic is fantastic shot:

·
Registered
413 Posts
Nice find. It looks in great shape and has been well cared for. Enjoy!

I had the same thought about the Uro water pump, all those nice parts and a cheapo water pump. Oh well, see how long it lasts.

I would swap out those corners. I just bought ULO branded clear with black trim and am super happy with the way they go with the headlights. I wasn't sure when I was researching the purchase, but loved them as soon as I installed them on Saturday. ECS was the cheapest by far. $71 for the pair.

Oh, and I would restore the Bavarian colors to the roundels.

How do you like the Quick Jack and how much did you get it for?

Attachments

1 - 20 of 85 Posts