E46 Fanatics Forum banner

So when should we start hoarding OEM parts?

7K views 19 replies 14 participants last post by  Landlorder 
#1 ·
...for those of us who want to keep our E46s forever, that is.

I was working on the car today and thought about the headlight lenses I just replaced and how since I got them from FCP, when the new ones start deteriorating, I can just invoke the warranty and get replacements, but...

There will be a point at which replacements will stop being manufactured. :(

I'm a big rotorhead and love the first-gen ('79-'85) RX-7 and many parts for it are now NLA. Not sure what the situation is with BMWs from that era.

For my 240Z, I can basically build a car from scratch since it's a collectible, but the E46 will never reach that status, so it's a fair bet many parts will be NLA eventually.

Thoughts?

#3 ·
There are certain parts that already are NLA both from the dealer and the OEM supplier. Examples: steering rack, communication electronics, i.e. TCU.

The prices of some parts that have been available only through BMW have skyrocketed in the past several years.
A few years ago was thinking about replacing my pillar covers, but got lazy and did only the passenger A pillar, which I had to remove anyway while doing some custom work. Just recently checked the prices and each of these is close to $100, except the B-pillars, which are about $200 per piece...

#5 ·
I've already started hoarding.

I've started with buying the parts that are common failure parts. My stock has risen and fallen due to, well, failures. My goal is to hoard at least the following to have on-hand at all times:

CCV and related hoses
DISA and a repair kit
Intake hoses
Complete cooling refresh
Window regulators
Headlight lenses (just replaced mine)
Foglights (either new or refreshed - have new ones to go on my replacement bumper - will refresh old ones)
Floor mats
Center console
Cup holder
Various bits only used on the touring
Front control arms
Sunroof guides

I keep spare oil and air filters on-hand usually. Pretty much every time I order parts I add replacement wiper blades since you cannot get just the replacement rubber from the dealer (BMW or aftermarket) anymore. In the Texas heat they go bad quickly, so I try to always have replacements around.

There's more. And I have some good used parts hanging around as well.

I have bins for all these and once we build out outbuilding I will probably increase my stash. I've recently started a new job with a 52 mile commute each way (over fabulous roads that are a true joy for an enthusiast to drive with little traffic). As a result I'll be collecting normal wear parts at an accelerated rate. Interesting thing about my commute... My oil consumption went from 1qt per 150 miles (reliably - an oxymoron I guess) to ZERO. Go figure. Doesn't matter as I'm getting a M54B30 swap (along with 6spd, 330 brakes, etc.) in October.

#6 · (Edited)
In 2017, at 177,000 miles, we decided to take my wife's then 20-year old Z3 on a road trip from the east coast out to Yellowstone NP and other places out west. Of course I went through the Z3 in detail beforehand and changed driveline fluids and spark plugs, which were all due anyway. I replaced the original 20-year old donut spare, which was showing signs of dry rot (the OE size spare is no longer available BTW), and I replaced the rubber fiber reinforced exhaust hangers to bring up the exhaust an inch or two since the car is lowered on a sport suspension. I inspected all the other rubber and plastic parts on the car. I also bought most of the cooling system plastic hose fittings as the M44 can have those fail over time. I didn't dig into the engine that deep before I left for the trip because I didn't have time, but I brought the cooling system parts along on the trip in case one failed, which would avoid the wait to get the parts shipped out from a BMW dealership. I also replaced the clock module at the time, which had been broken for about 10 years. The point is, BMW keeps most parts in stock for it's production vehicles well past 15 years and even past 20 years after the last production date of the model.

I also owed a 1989 E30 from new in 1989 to July 2006. In the 18 years I owned it, BMW had every part available I needed to maintain it. 13 years into my E90 ownership, every part to keep the car running is still available. BMW does drop some accessories around 7 years or so after production; for example, the trunk mat for the Z4 Coupe is no longer available and the E46 mud flaps are no longer available. However, for my newly acquired E46 convertible, I just ordered the trunk mat and cargo net, still available after 14 years past it's last production date. I'm not sure how long you intend to keep your E46, but I think it is premature to start hoarding parts at this time. I just bought mine with the intention of daily driving it (partial duty between my other 2 Bimmers) for the next 6 years at a minimum. I'm not the least concerned about parts availability.

While the particular BMW model may be a low-volume production unit, the underlying hard parts are shared among many different BMW models, which allows BMW to retain stock of most parts for decades after model production has ceased. An easy test is go look up an E30 on RealOEM-classic, and then check availability of some of the more obscure parts. You'll find most are still available from BMW.

#7 ·
there were some 4 Million E46s produced worldwide. even with attrition that’s a lot of E46s that need parts. as long as there’s money to be made off the need, there will be parts. i’m not worried.

#12 ·
Thanks for all the input. Quite a range of opinions. Re:your position, George, I can see hoarding consummables, but it's likely we'll be able to find non-wear items like the center console in junkyards for some time to come. Though I'm sure the time will come when we'll need to nab those also...

#13 ·
I plan to keep the regular consumables on-hand because I know I will need them - it's just a matter of time. The center console and cup holder I have stashed now are brand spanking new. I'm trying my best to keep the car looking new and fresh. I'll try to refresh the old ones I take out. We'll see how successful I am at that.

As for assuming things will be available for some time to come, I don't trust that. There have been a few NLA parts I've come across for both my E46 and my E36/7 (M Roadster). The mud guards for the touring became NLA before I got a chance to order them. I fortunately have a new shifter console for my M Roadster because I've heard they are now NLA. Rumor has it the European glovebox and steering cover for the roadie are now NLA as well. My roadie is only 3 years older than the touring.

Certain parts are not particularly desirable to find used. Some don't matter much. Some do. The ones that matter, e.g., the console and cup holder, will be like gold once NLA. Those are parts that won't be available aftermarket.

#14 ·
From watching previous models age out, (the 2002, the E30 M20, etc)

yeah, buy the reasonable 'consumables' now while you can get good quality parts.

CCV, other plastics, thermostats, etc. etc.

The parts will disappear from the aftermarket chain, and then it'll be BMW for $600 or Uro for $50,
and either option will hurt in its own way.
4 million cars doesn't matter- that's low- volume compared to a Ford 250, and yet, parts for a 25 year old
250 are now hard to find in workable quality.

Electronics will be particularly bad, as when a module hits its end- of- life, they will all be about there,
and 'remanufacturing' won't be an option at the board level.

But this won't happen for another 10 years or so, or whenever the last M54- powered models hit 25 years

t
based on past experience.

#15 ·
Certain parts are already NLA and many more will be in the future. Fortunately you can always take a good used part and restore it to new, or near new condition. Most consumable items like braking, transmission and engine items will be available for a long, long time but things like interior and exterior trim pieces will be hard to come by once NLA and that may happen soon.

#17 ·
I am a new e46 owner so I don***8217;t know a lot of the more desirable parts/accessories yet, but I can tell you an awful lot about e30 stuff.

New in box dash, gauges, seat fabric, seat covers, euro headlights/us ellipsoids/fogs (I really wish the 46 had glass lenses), door gaskets in all forms, window gaskets in all forms, trunk seals, hood seals, premium sound speakers/grilles/door tweeters, a/c compressors, oil level sender, idle control valve, ABS system components, on board computers in all forms.

I could go on, the list I made would be ultra valuable in OEM new in box form. I***8217;m sure you all know that may NLA parts or systems on e30, or any similar, have been engineered by 3rd party, like Megasquirt for ECU replacement. I buy parts from FCP any time I need something and almost everything isn***8217;t truly BMW but its branded by their supplier/vendor.

What kind of surprised me here at the 46 forum is how different your classifieds section is from the r3vlimited crowd. It makes sense, but I have routinely shopped there for anything I need for a long time for all kinds of things that you all (me now) can just order new.

In my limited experience playing with my ***8216;03 I have learned to figure out how many and which kinds of plastic clips I need to keep on hand. I want to replace my driving light lenses and I know I will break just about any plastic snap part I come across. I am in the process of painting all the door/dash wood grain panels, and I have a door trim piece (aluminum on the rear pillar) that has no mounting bits and is bent all to hell that I cant figure out how is supposed to snap in place. I ordered the (14) clamps from the realoem chart but there is still stuff that should be there and is not.

I***8217;d say stock up on all the plastic stuff, gauge clusters, radios, a/c components, door seals, hood seals (good grief I couldn***8217;t believe all the seals under hood) and upholstery stuff that is highly desireable, but you***8217;re looking at an ROI that is a good 10 years out.

#18 ·
I'd say stock up on all the plastic stuff, gauge clusters, radios, a/c components, door seals, hood seals (good grief I couldn't believe all the seals under hood) and upholstery stuff that is highly desireable, but you're looking at an ROI that is a good 10 years out.
BMW, like Volvo and Mercedes, has a "heritage" division that specializes in making parts for vintage cars. While it may take a few years for the E46 to be considered a vintage car, those things will almost certainly be available long term.

Or, given that the mental midget in the oval office just started a trade war with Europe and the UK, you may not have to wait long for parts prices to spike.

#19 ·
I have quite a few spares because I don't wait for things to fail. I replace them on a PM basis and keep the old ones as a backup. Just done the coolant system for example so I have a complete cooling system. Same with belts and sensors. Fuel pump. It's not a bad idea to have them at the ready.

#20 ·
I'm upset they discontinued things like the genuine performance parts (intake or cf strut brace), or extended leather bits. Always keeping an eye out for those.

I too have been stocking bits. Owned 9 years, last few years began gathering. Exterior door trim that pulls away when caught on something when opened. Steering wheel m sport in great condition. Handbrake handle and gaitor. Centre console, sunglasses holder, switches, door cards, front seats (fitted), rear seats, rear inner boot lights, harmon kardon bass speakers (they blow), all ready for when I feel like making the inside of the car look good, at 215k alot has worn.

Other bits i got for no particular reason other than it was cheap, Blower motor £20, ac compressor £20, front manifold cats £70 (got very lucky with this). Rear trim around convertible headrests. Rear convertible headrests. Full carbon trim. M3 illuminated gear knob £20.

I bargain hunt on eBay alot. Just search bmw e46 in parts and accessories,organise items by lowest price and see what gems there are.

I also randomly got an e46 press pack from 1998. £10. Interesting reading. Pic is a few things I have In a cupboard. Still need to retrofit the lumbar support to passenger side front seat.

Room Shelf Bumper Furniture Automotive exterior

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.