Backfire / exhaust pop tune /FLAMES? - Page 6 - E46Fanatics E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Driveline, Engine & DME Tuning

Driveline, Engine & DME Tuning
Talk about driveline improvements, NA tuning and DME tuning your E46 BMW here. This includes diffs, intakes, exhausts, chips, software and OBD tuning.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-23-2018, 10:48 PM   #101
Ri73y

My Ride: 325ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by armenh7 View Post
Applaud applaud applaud

Sounds and looks great

Thanks so much man! Im still amazed Iíve gotten the flames this big. The tune I have has ghost cams and a vanos tweak for catless headers and intake with a modded injection map and throttle tweak. Tune is safe and I daily drive with it. If anyone wants the file I will share it if you pm me

Sent from my iPhone using E46Fanatics mobile app
Ri73y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 11:07 PM   #102
armenh7

My Ride: 325i (Turbo M54B30)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ri73y View Post
Thanks so much man! Im still amazed Iíve gotten the flames this big. The tune I have has ghost cams and a vanos tweak for catless headers and intake with a modded injection map and throttle tweak. Tune is safe and I daily drive with it. If anyone wants the file I will share it if you pm me

Pm sent
armenh7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2018, 04:52 AM   #103
Bertrum

My Ride: 99 323ci
[QUOTE=armenh7;18325512]
Quote:
Thanks so much man! Im still amazed I've gotten the flames this big. The tune I have has ghost cams and a vanos tweak for catless headers and intake with a modded injection map and throttle tweak. Tune is safe and I daily drive with it. If anyone wants the file I will share it if you pm me

Nice work... Which engine do you have b30?
Bertrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-26-2018, 01:12 PM   #104
Ri73y

[QUOTE=Bertrum;18325642]
Quote:

Nice work... Which engine do you have b30?

Yes

Old 08-03-2018, 09:56 AM   #105
_TrotyL_

Hello ! Thx for inspiration!
_TrotyL_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2018, 09:34 PM   #106
Ri73y

Quote:
Originally Posted by _TrotyL_ View Post
Hello ! Thx for inspiration!

Can we see the values?

Old 10-08-2018, 09:29 PM   #107
d_cleverzz

My Ride: Turbo 5spd 330cic
Year: 2001
Model: 330CIC
Transmission: 5 Speed Manual
I know I'm reviving an old thread but... Is anyone willing to share their Flame Shooting Tunes? I've tried multiple different things but no luck. I would love to learn from someones tune.
Old 10-08-2018, 09:30 PM   #108
CarbonZHP
Because Race...Convertible?

My Ride: goes choo choo
Year: 2004
Model: 330Cic ZHP
Transmission: AT->5MT->6MT
Forgot about this thread but same. I tried adjusting the values and the timer for my setup but it seems a little worse

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Original Car: Silver Grey on Grey, A/T (1 of 186)
As it sits: Silver Grey on Black, M/T (1 of 51)
Instagram: @CarbonZHP
CarbonZHP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 12:21 AM   #109
d_cleverzz

Quote:
Originally Posted by d_cleverzz View Post
I know I'm reviving an old thread but... Is anyone willing to share their Flame Shooting Tunes? I've tried multiple different things but no luck. I would love to learn from someones tune.
Update:

I do get flames now, but they are rare, and I have to rev the engine to 6k rpm and let it decelerate to try and get a flame. I never get any sort of flame while revving at a standstill. Any suggestions would help. One day I got 5 flames in the matter of 10-15 minutes, While today I got 2 in 40 minutes, and this isn't just daily driving. I'm flooring it up and down the street. I want it to be more on demand.

Yes I have annoyed many neighbors and used too much fuel...

Last edited by d_cleverzz; 10-17-2018 at 12:23 AM.
d_cleverzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 04:46 PM   #110
Ri73y

Quote:
Originally Posted by d_cleverzz View Post
Update:

I do get flames now, but they are rare, and I have to rev the engine to 6k rpm and let it decelerate to try and get a flame. I never get any sort of flame while revving at a standstill. Any suggestions would help. One day I got 5 flames in the matter of 10-15 minutes, While today I got 2 in 40 minutes, and this isn't just daily driving. I'm flooring it up and down the street. I want it to be more on demand.

Yes I have annoyed many neighbors and used too much fuel...

In a few days when I get a chance Iíll upload a link for my burble tunes. They range from no flames to 4 foot flames and everything in between. Sorry for anyone I have not responded to on pm Iím extremely busy

Old 10-17-2018, 06:15 PM   #111
d_cleverzz

Quote:
In a few days when I get a chance Iíll upload a link for my burble tunes. They range from no flames to 4 foot flames and everything in between. Sorry for anyone I have not responded to on pm Iím extremely busy

Thanks. That would be nice. I think Iíve done fairly well for myself with some research and questions. Especially for this being the first time I do any of it.
Thanks again

Old 10-20-2018, 10:35 AM   #112
d_cleverzz

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarbonZHP View Post
Forgot about this thread but same. I tried adjusting the values and the timer for my setup but it seems a little worse

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Iíve read about the timer. I have done a lot of adjustments and about 15 different tunes and never noticed any sort of ďtimerĒ which is also mentioned on the wiki.... what table is it in?

Old 10-20-2018, 11:05 AM   #113
d_cleverzz

Quote:
Originally Posted by sda2 View Post
Does someone of you experience missing pops above 4000rpm while driving?

I do. I think with the overrun fuel cut and retarded timing from the wiki, we all experience no pops above 4K rpm. Sometimes I get pops up top but not usually.

Old 10-20-2018, 11:17 AM   #114
d_cleverzz

Quote:

M54B30?

Old 10-22-2018, 03:21 AM   #115
sda2

My Ride: BMW E46 330i Touring
Yes, B30.
sda2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2018, 10:49 AM   #116
John86

A friend of mine has the exhaust pop/crackle from the wiki page but he wants more lol anybody able to point me in the right direction in order to get either louder pops or even flames, I can seem to find any thing on what to change
It's for the m54b30 on ms43

Thank you
John86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019, 03:58 AM   #117
armenh7

https://drive.google.com/folderview?...0rIgGndZxllOil. Got some flames with catless headers and adding fuel at 6k rpm low load.

My question is: can I add fuel at redline to spit flames when bouncing off rev limiter?

Not so complicated install of BMW Tools (Windows XP, 7, and 10)

PA Soft
Driver:

Program:
Old 02-25-2019, 09:05 AM   #118
cwarel

My Ride: 330ci coupe
Quote:
https://drive.google.com/folderview?...0rIgGndZxllOil. Got some flames with catless headers and adding fuel at 6k rpm low load.

My question is: can I add fuel at redline to spit flames when bouncing off rev limiter?
Maybe if you set rev limiter to like 4500rpm and tune the fuel and timing at that point , but that be sucky since normal driving my be a lot worse ( so id say a spare ecu for now just for flames lol))))
cwarel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019, 11:15 AM   #119
armenh7

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwarel View Post
Maybe if you set rev limiter to like 4500rpm and tune the fuel and timing at that point , but that be sucky since normal driving my be a lot worse ( so id say a spare ecu for now just for flames lol))))
That was a consideration lol. If it makes flames it's worth a try
Old 03-11-2019, 08:12 PM   #120
Harry_de_best

My Ride: E46 330i
Year: 2002
Model: 330i M Sport
Transmission: Manual 5spd
Finally figured it out

Quote:
Does someone of you experience missing pops above 4000rpm while driving?
Hey guys, first time posting here but have messed ALOT with the exhaust pop/burble settings.

I'm 99% sure that you aren't getting pops above 3000-4000RPMs because you are not running MS430056. I did all my tuning and modifications on MS430066 and for the life of me could not get it to pop above 3000-4000RPM. I changed at least 10 more tables relating to maximum and minimum ignition angles etc with no effect what so ever.

After flashing to MS430056, and using the timered settings I got pops straight away from any RPM. On MS430066 the timer settings did not work at all.

The only question I have now is the hysteresis tables, not sure why you want the pops to pop at such a slow interval. After studying modern BMWs, they seem to start with a higher hysteresis then drop to a lower hysteresis.

I'm running catless headers with two scorpion mid resonators and a remus rear muffler. I have to retard ignition around -18 to -20 deg to get decently loud pops. I have not messed with any fueling as I don't think its necessary since the pops are loud enough.

Around -9 to -10 degrees I get the modern burble sound, where the pops aren't crackling but are actual burbles.

There are also many other subtle changes between 56 and 66 e.g the time it takes for cruise control to activate (56 is instant on when you press the button on the steering wheel, 66 you have to hold the button down for a few seconds). Overall 56 is much more reactive to changes in the map, e.g I was trying to reduce rev-hang on 66 - the changes I did seem to reduce it but when I loaded the same numbers on the 56 map, the rev-hang was reduced so heavily it was like a race car, the car would shake after letting of the throttle - I could feel the diff bushing wobbling lol.

I guess if you want your car to spit fire, you will have to add fuel and retard ignition timing heavily while having the correct hysteresis. You'd want big hysteresis numbers at high RPMs to keep the flame going.

[EDIT] Forgot to mention, the ip_t_puc_deacc tables work super well based on gear, so for myself in gears 4-5 I have the burble much shorter than in gears 1-2-3. Makes daily driving much less painful as I have no cats. This method completely negates the need to disable fuel cut (ip_n_min_puc rpm > Redline rpm) since if you are coasting it will burble non stop and get really annoying.

Last edited by Harry_de_best; 03-11-2019 at 08:15 PM.
Harry_de_best is offline   Reply With Quote