E46 Fanatics Forum banner

Any High Mileage Bimmers Still Running Strong

34K views 264 replies 217 participants last post by  loginfailed 
#1 ·
post up if you have High mileage and what have you had to replace and/or fix on your ride ..

I'll go first :clap:
I purchased my 325ci in JUNE 2006 with 92,000 miles on her ..since then I now have 107,000 and this is what is happening to my baby

-I have replaced the belts ( they snapped on me while driving one day)
-belt tensior
- I need a passenger window regulator A.S.A.P!!
-control arms need to be replaced badly

I am trying to get an idea of what kind of troubles to expect here in the near future...

#2 ·
Me, 180,000km had so many things replaced.

-Radiator fan
-Radiator tank
-Cam sensor
-fixed windshield reservoir
-etc, cant think of them now

I presently need a new thermostat. Oh and a new wind. regulator too.

Those things do break down, dont beleive the hype, lol. But I am still not selling it. Till death do us part, lol

#3 ·
114k, still pulling strong!:bow:

Other then inspections and oil changes I have had to do...
1 window regulator
1 water pump/thermostat (Preventative)
1 vapor berrior

Still need to replace my water valve before summer hits and I need my AC :banghead:

Putting in a 3.46 rear diff this weekend, new U-joint, and brakes in the back. Basic stuff.. love my car, going to drive it into the ground.. then rebuild it as a track car.:woot:

#7 ·
hahahaha...well it does seem our e46's need lots of service..but everyone seems to still love them...
I do Agree although I have had my problems ..I do still love the car..

Hey Ftwiesse thanks for the Pm ..I hit ya back already

#8 ·
These cars are made to last as long as you take care of them. Just do the oil and filter changes every 5k miles and there will not be any problems. 150k is nothing. I've seen 2.5l motors with excess of 200k miles on e46 chasis and they run strong.

#9 ·
Purchased at 103k now at 114k, needed some minor things when I got it. So far I have done:
-Oil/Filter service (with inspection 2)
-Both front LCA bushings
-Exh. Cam sensor
-Inspection 2 (Fuel Fitler, Air Filter, Plugs (NGK Iridium), Trans/Diff Fluid, cabin filter, etc.)
-PS hoses
-PS reservoir
-Coolant flush
-Fixed my loose/squeaking E-brake (metallic squeak noise every time I got in/out of the car, very annoying)

She is running great now, pulls as strong as a 323 can haha, time to start modding!

#12 ·
Ive only got 69k, but you'll need to keep on your radar the following common ailments:

* secondary air pump and vent
* camshaft positioning sensor
* pre and post cat O2 sensors
* belts
* water pump
* thermostat
* rear shock mounts
* alternator and alternator idler pulley
* tension pulley

etc. :banghead:

#14 · (Edited)
:blah: I've got 212,812 on my 00 323i and rolling strong.
I've replaced three window regulators, shocks, struts, dampers, springs, two sets of control arms and bushings, rear differential bushing, transmission, clutch, auxillery fan hood, A/C compressor, one rear wheel bearing, windshield wiper motor, all three belt pulley's, one thermostat and the OEM exhaust. The bimmer is eight years old and I'm still as happy every single day as the day I bought it. Happy Motoring...
:woot:

#15 ·
2001 330ci (5 speed) - purchased Jan 06 with 90K miles, today 101K and running strong.

- Replaced driver side window regular
- Oil Changes every 3500 to 4500 Miles
- Tune up (Spark plugs, belts, Fuel Filter, Air Filter (K&N) & Cabin Filter)

Other then that...the cars been trouble free.
Ohh..I beat on the car too..RED LINE it atleast a couple times a week, took it to the track during the summer (DRAG) and a little street comp once in a while.

I'm thinking about brake pads and the O2's sensors soon.

I'm surprised how so many people have trouble with there bimmers...I've owned a couple of them so far to only have had very little issues with them.
84 325e, 93 325i, 98 540i and 01 330ci

#18 ·
My 00' 328i Just turned 130,000 miles today, no Engine problems, No step problems. :woot:
Just replaced the thermostat, waterpump and belts.

#20 · (Edited)
170K and runs like a clock.

Here is the DIY stuff i fixed so far.
2 x Camshaft sensors for $200
1 x waterpump $80
1 x control arm, flexdic(guibo) & control arm bushings $500 (non diy)
1 x set of control arm bushings $99
1 x thermostat $65
1 x ignition coil $90
1 x passenger window track cable assembly $145
1 x Alternator from junkyard $60
1 x fuel filter $20

Plus maintainence(DIY)
$350 for 4 rotors and 4 pads every 50,000 miles
$50 oil change every 7,500 miles
$20 for trannky fluid every 30,000 miles

My total maintainence and repair costs are about $2500 for last 4 years which includes oil changes, tires, inspection costs & repairs which comes to $750 a year.
I drive 30K miles a year which means $450 of it is for set of 4 tires and $300 a year for repairs and maintainence.

Overall an excellent car as far as quality, performance and dependibilty.

#23 ·
I have a 1999 328i, automatic with premium package and so far I have 148,000 miles on the clock with no major problems.

I have not done any real mods to the car. I am very fussy about my maintenance though. I do as much of the DYI type stuff as I can and I have found this car to be as cost effective as my wife’s Plymouth Grand Voyager and my old Mazda Protégé. This car is a champ and unless something terrible happens to it I plan on having it for a long time.

#25 ·
AWSOME thanks for the feedback ..this helps alot ...I do love my car..there is just something about it ..
I am searching for a passenger side IWndow regulator as we speak..and working on getting new control arms

#26 ·
I just hit 105k :rolleyes:

Problems:

1. Engine replaced @ 64k (burning oil every 1k miles)
2. Transmission replaced @ 64k
3. New belts replaced
4. Replaced crack windshield
5. New control arms 95k
6. Radiator replaced and expansion tank 96k
7. Lock Actuator replaced 104k

I routinely change oil every 5k miles.
Checking for subframe damage.
Installing Tein SS Coilvovers
Installing front and rear cambers

After all of this ....I still love her :)

#27 ·
I just hit 105k :rolleyes:

Problems:

1. Engine replaced @ 64k (burning oil every 1k miles)
2. Transmission replaced @ 64k
3. New belts replaced
4. Replaced crack windshield
5. New control arms 95k
6. Radiator replaced and expansion tank 96k
7. Lock Actuator replaced 104k

I routinely change oil every 5k miles.
Checking for subframe damage.
Installing Tein SS Coilvovers
Installing front and rear cambers

After all of this ....I still love her :)
Fok dude! thats crazzy :yikes: glad u still love ur baby :thumbsup:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.