E46 Fanatics Forum banner

fuel pump created knocking sound in engine 2001 BMW 330ci

4K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  CylonRed 
#1 ·
i have a 2001 BMW 330CI. So my car stopped running and needed a fuel pump. It was sitting for a few months till it was fixed. When i replaced the fuel pump it fired up right away and but now theres a ticking sound in the engine now. Can anyone tell me whats that from?!?

#2 ·
don't know if this is a similar situation. my wife's car (same as yours) sat for 4 months. when i finished fixing it up the car had a ticking sound also. after a few starts and drives the sound went away. new parts adjusting and getting fully seated (belts, etc.)? how does your car drive?

#7 ·
Yea, not thinking a replacement fuel pump is causing a knocking or ticking noise.

Back in the day fuel injected car with multiport fuel injection where all injectors were triggered at the same time you could and would get a fuel line knocking noise. Many of these cars had an rubber shock dampener in the fuel tank, after the fuel pump, often called a "pulsator" that would dampen the fuel line hammer or knocking. This was like a timed water hammer in the water lines in a house.

Sequential Fuel Injection for the most part cured this issue.

I would be looking the DISA and/.or consider valve lifters or and exhaust leak near the engine.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.