E46 Fanatics Forum banner

NGK BKR6E (6962) - Recommended Replacement Interval

8K views 15 replies 8 participants last post by  BrettS 
#1 · (Edited)
I gave these solid copper core plugs a try and my initial impressions are positive. Better spark and a lower cost ($10/set vs. $40/set) at the penalty of a shorter life, which is fine since swapping plugs is a very quick job on an M54.

That said, what is the ideal service interval? I'm seeing 10K-20K from some quick research but nothing official.

Update: After testing out a 20K mile service interval, I will be scaling it down to a 15K mile one.

#3 ·
I noticed an improvement in responsiveness/sharpness from my Platinum NGK's with 55K+ miles on them, but that is not a fair comparison.

Copper is an optimal conductor and these are verified as a direct and correctly-gapped replacement for the M54, so I was curious.

My fuel filter has 60K+ miles on it on and my original 02 sensors have 163K+ miles on them, so I'm expecting the car to really wake up when I address them next week.

#11 ·
I changed my plugs today on m56...at 130k ... They had been done previously around 70k ...job is very easy - had to remove cabin filter housing (4xT30 bolts) - engine cover just pulls off (no bolts) ... Unclip coil connectors and just pulled out coils)... Old plugs were ngk oem style - see pic - I used ngk g- power play to replace - single tip - connector spray- torqued to 20lb/ft - car idles much more smoothly and has restored power ...I will try and post pics of old plugs later

#12 ·
I gave these solid copper core plugs a try and my initial impressions are positive. Better spark and a lower cost ($10/set vs. $40/set) at the penalty of a shorter life, which is fine since swapping plugs is a very quick job on an M54.

That said, what is the ideal service interval? I'm seeing 10K-20K from some quick research but nothing official.
Consider the Denso PK20TT (4504) next time. Platinum plugs from a likewise reputable manufacturer and can be had for about $20 a set.

#15 · (Edited)
I tested the first set out at a 20K mile service interval (the high end from what I researched). The engine started to feel a bit tired after 17K miles. Granted, nothing drastic...but noticeable.

Replaced the plugs with fresh ones and the engine's responsiveness and power delivery felt much crisper. Comparison photo attached and I will be sticking to 15K mile intervals from here on out.

Attachments

#16 ·
I ran these in my chipped Audi A4 1.8t for over 10 years and loved them. I'd change them out every six months because it was a 15 minute job with that engine. If I went over 10k miles I'd start to notice the car running a little rougher and I'd get misfires occasionally when pushing it hard. The plugs don't last long but for the price and initial performance, they're great.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.