Clean harness wiring for seat heating retrofit - E46Fanatics E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-21-2020, 06:56 PM   #1
Archbid

My Ride: 330cic, 325i Touring
Year: 03
Model: 330cic
Transmission: 6-Speed, auto
Clean harness wiring for seat heating retrofit

After asking the forum for help identifying pins (Yeah! E46fanatics!!!), I was able to build a complete map of the parts and connections for a seat heater retrofit.

The harness connects:
  • Male plugs under the driver and passenger seats (X275 and X279),
  • Grounding comb connectors under the carpet beneath the two seats,
  • Thin brown connector at the seat heater switch (X1869) p/n 61 13 6 954 535, and
  • Individual leads to the fuse box and K-bus comb connector

Here is my map of the pins, connectors with part numbers, and wire size and color. The BMW color is from the wiring diagram, and "equivalent" is the simplified wire colors from the DIY below. The DIY had wire gauges that made it difficult to get the pins to fit, so I would follow the ones I found:

Since the original retrofit harness is no longer sold, this is a good way to get a "factory" install as long as you are comfortable with crimp connectors. You will need crimping anvils for .35, 1.5, and 4.0 DIN.

My original post:
https://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=1271191

Great DIYs on seat heaters (thanks @leverthis!):
DIY: Power Seat Retrofit w/Memory!! Pics!!
DIY: OEM Heated seats installed in a non-heated seat car.

PDF:
https://forum.e46fanatics.com/attach...1&d=1582995189

The craziest source:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	08826EED-FBF3-4A48-AD9A-5BE9DF81467D-5406-0000039C91DC77E5.JPG
Views:	155
Size:	96.6 KB
ID:	794057   Click image for larger version

Name:	e46 seat heater harness.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	75.4 KB
ID:	794633  
Attached Files
File Type: pdf e46 seat heater harness.pdf (32.8 KB, 41 views)

Last edited by Archbid; 02-29-2020 at 10:53 AM.
Archbid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2020, 07:28 PM   #2
LeverThis

My Ride: 2004 325i automagic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archbid View Post
After asking the forum for help identifying pins (Yeah! E46fanatics!!!), I was able to build a complete map of the parts and connections for a seat heater retrofit.

The harness connects:
  • Male plugs under the driver and passenger seats (X275 and X279),
  • Grounding comb connectors under the carpet beneath the two seats,
  • Thin brown connector at the seat heater switch (X1869) p/n 61 13 6 954 535, and
  • Individual leads to the fuse box and K-bus comb connector

Here is my map of the pins, connectors with part numbers, and wire size and color. The BMW color is from the wiring diagram, and "equivalent" is the simplified wire colors from the DIY below. The DIY had wire gauges that made it difficult to get the pins to fit, so I would follow the ones I found:

[image snip]

Since the original retrofit harness is no longer sold, this is a good way to get a "factory" install as long as you are comfortable with crimp connectors. You will need crimping anvils for .35, 1.5, and 4.0 DIN.

My original post:
https://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=1271191

Great DIYs on seat heaters (thanks @leverthis!):
DIY: Power Seat Retrofit w/Memory!! Pics!!
DIY: OEM Heated seats installed in a non-heated seat car.

The craziest source:
Thanks for putting this together, Archbid! I was wondering how practical 12 gauge wire would be for some of the connections; good to know what works.

My driver's vinyl seat chushion is splitting apart slowly, so I'm thinking about finding a good condition hellebeige powered seat to swap in and wire up properly to the fuse box. It seems like once you have the right parts that the actual work isn't too bad.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
:

20mm OD x 12mm ID x 4mm W : Viton O-Ring
3/4" OD x 1/2"ID x 1/16" Thick : Thrust Bearing/Washer
LeverThis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2020, 07:37 PM   #3
Archbid

My Ride: 330cic, 325i Touring
Year: 03
Model: 330cic
Transmission: 6-Speed, auto
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeverThis View Post
Thanks for putting this together, Archbid! I was wondering how practical 12 gauge wire would be for some of the connections; good to know what works.

My driver's vinyl seat chushion is splitting apart slowly, so I'm thinking about finding a good condition hellebeige powered seat to swap in and wire up properly to the fuse box. It seems like once you have the right parts that the actual work isn't too bad.
It is really easy. The pins come out easily, and if you pull the carpet up and run the wire directly from the connector up to the center console (don't try to run it through the dash - waste of time) it is pretty trivial.

The only frustrating part for me is that the write-up that I followed just specced 16ga for everything except 12ga for the power to the switch. For the signal wires to the seat harness, that is just too big to get a good crimp, so I would follow mine.
Archbid is offline   Reply With Quote