Aluminum Thermostat caused no start - Page 2 - E46Fanatics E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 07-27-2010, 05:48 PM   #21
Tangent_

My Ride: '01 330i, '11 Z435i
The E36 thermostats shown in that video appear to use a flat gasket that is just sandwiched between the thermostat housing and where it mounts. It could be that the different gasket style the E46 thermostat uses eliminates that issue. The rubber gasket in the channel would allow for more movement before causing any leaks...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Tangent_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 06:49 PM   #22
phamine

My Ride: 01 Orient Blue 330i
Send a message via AIM to phamine Send a message via Yahoo to phamine
http://www.zionsvilleautosport.com/s...54ALUTHERM.htm

$500 thermostat - Can't go wrong ::Rolls Eyes::

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
phamine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 05:24 PM   #23
Tangent_

My Ride: '01 330i, '11 Z435i
Quote:
Originally Posted by phamine View Post
http://www.zionsvilleautosport.com/s...54ALUTHERM.htm

$500 thermostat - Can't go wrong ::Rolls Eyes::
Goes perfectly with their $1,000 radiator.

http://www.zionsvilleautosport.com/s...code/E46AR.htm

Tangent_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-09-2010, 02:07 AM   #24
fijitec

My Ride: 323i
so i wat stupid enough to buy aluminium thermostat from e bay as well and after installing the thermostat i drove to portland from seattle....
my car broke on my way back luckly it was close enough thus i towed my car to my friends house. i discovered fuel pump relay was burnt and replaced it however my car still wont start. do i have to use a replacement key to start my car as the key is programmed that way or is there something else wrong?
i know for sure the culprit was the thermostat housing now that i read your thread....
please help
[email protected]
nik
fijitec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 02:07 AM   #25
fijitec

https://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...23i+wont+start
Old 08-09-2010, 02:19 AM   #26
fijitec

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...m=130386454521
Old 08-09-2010, 03:13 AM   #27
golf_234

My Ride: F30 340i M Sport
just go OEM. the only non OEM part i have put on my car is a brass bleeder screw. (besides suspension ofc.)

golf_234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 10:46 AM   #28
spencers

My Ride: 2006 330i
You buy cheap chinese parts, you get chinese crap. Lesson learned???

spencers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 06:59 PM   #29
fijitec

yup lesson learnt indeed no more cheap chinese parts.
Old 08-09-2010, 07:00 PM   #30
fijitec

Quote:
Originally Posted by golf_234 View Post
just go OEM. the only non OEM part i have put on my car is a brass bleeder screw. (besides suspension ofc.)
suspension ofc? whats that?
Old 08-09-2010, 07:15 PM   #31
dmax

My Ride: '99 328i 1.569 mu
Year: 99
Model: 328i
Transmission: 5-spd
Quote:
Originally Posted by fijitec View Post
suspension ofc? whats that?
I'm thinking that 'ofc' means 'of course' but we'll find out. Golf found out that there's a hidden fan club of his, just wondering what he's going to do next...so we all know that he violated the 'stock oath' and went with that other brand of control arms/bushing.

Next meeting, we vote on the matter...that's next Thursday (PM me, guys, to confirm).

Anyway, the brass bleeder was just too much, so he's on the agenda.

And, don't forget, when he says OEM, he really means OE or OEM (when it's prolly going to be exactly the same part...but sometimes OEM means that Bosch makes the coil, so it's an OEM company...but if you buy an Alternator that, say, Bosch doesn't make for the E46, it could still be called an OEM part. It is; it's just that that part isn't OE. Confused? Hope not!

Anyway, another reason we're all really concerned about Golf...and it's not just a game!

Rumor has it that he's thinking of doing the clown nose removal mod and actually glue a painted piece of index card over the hole...if he is...he should stop!

See Facebook for upcoming shows...and listen to my podcast!

dmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 05:44 AM   #32
fijitec

thanks
Old 08-14-2010, 05:47 AM   #33
fijitec

Quote:
Originally Posted by xi_ter View Post
A reliability issue the E46 cooling system is that there are too many plastic pieces, like the thermostat. So I bought an aluminum version that stands up to heat cycles, but whose electronics were abysmal. On day 3, (why couldn't it have been immediately at install) I got stranded with no start situation, like I was fuel starved. No CEL codes showed to diagnose the thermostat fault.

Unfortunately these Chinese sourced versions are the only aluminum versions. The Behr and Wahlers have stuck to plastic.
The result was an expensive tow and diagnosis in the shop.
The E46 uses sensors to control the thermostat opening. If the sensor malfunctions the engine simply will not start. The electrical connection is there to power a heater element in the thermostat. This enables opening of the thermostat by the engine management system. With a conventional r rethermostat the coolant around the cylinders would boil under hard acceleration before the water at the thermostat got hot enough to open it and cool the cylinders. With a heated (map) thermostat the engine management system can look at the power requirement and predict the heat build up, therefore it can switch on the thermostat heater and get the thermostat open in time to cool the cylinders.
My aluminum version of the E46 thermostat was not up to the job.
so what all was wrong with your car and how did u get it fixed? my car got same issues after replacing the cheap aluminium thermostat
Old 08-14-2010, 03:29 PM   #34
xi_ter

My Ride: 2003 325xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by fijitec View Post
so what all was wrong with your car and how did u get it fixed? my car got same issues after replacing the cheap aluminium thermostat
The ECU was not picking up sensors from the thermostat and the car would crank and crank with no start. Needed to pull out and return the Asian fake thermostat and put in an OEM supplier t-stat - Behr. The Asian thermostat ran for only 3 days.

xi_ter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 03:44 PM   #35
delmarco

My Ride: 335i xDrive Deep Sea
Year: 2011
Model: 335i
Transmission: Steptronic
Send a message via ICQ to delmarco Send a message via Yahoo to delmarco
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arsevader View Post
Seeing as the M54 thermostat is more likely to stick open than crack, the housing the aluminum one is overkill. The e36 thermostat was more prone to cracking and therefore an aluminum housing made sense.

With the addition of electronics, it's a pretty much done deal. No way to separate the 2.
+1

I used to drive an e36 so don't even ask why i agree.

Xiter thanks for making this thread and the heads up!

I always value your threads, posts and advice.

Thanks.

VISIT MY GARAGE TO SEE MY BMW MODS & PROJECTS:

E90 -

E46 -
delmarco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 11:33 PM   #36
fijitec

Angry

Quote:
The ECU was not picking up sensors from the thermostat and the car would crank and crank with no start. Needed to pull out and return the Asian fake thermostat and put in an OEM supplier t-stat - Behr. The Asian thermostat ran for only 3 days.
i changed the thermostat back to oem however no start..
Old 08-16-2010, 12:29 AM   #37
xi_ter

My Ride: 2003 325xi
Is the electrical connector attached to the thermostat solidly?

Check fuses and electrical connections to the fuel pump (under the rear seat). Also the code reader might give a code for what's causing the problem.

xi_ter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 02:52 AM   #38
vPanya

My Ride: 01 325CI
Quote:
stupid .... dont matter if that sh!t was made by a redneck out in the boondocks, its still an Aluminum thermostat ur dumass bought off of EBAY. u didnt trust OEM parts, so u looked to eBAY? good job

vPanya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 07:27 AM   #39
dmax

My Ride: '99 328i 1.569 mu
Year: 99
Model: 328i
Transmission: 5-spd
Quote:
Is the electrical connector attached to the thermostat solidly?

Check fuses and electrical connections to the fuel pump (under the rear seat). Also the code reader might give a code for what's causing the problem.
Fil,

Not sure where you were in your other thread, but Xi has good suggestions...

I'm sure that the battery has been checked, right? Did you use a different key yet or put new bats. in yours (if they're replaceable like mine...think in '01, all became only chargeable...but there is a diy for fixing bat yourself in them to save $150 or more!). Oh, and pull up on cable too...they sometimes have tight nuts on cable, but cable is still loose on terminals.

Starters go bad...if you bang them, evidently you can sometimes get them to actually start...if it does after banging, you know you need a new starter.

There's a switch on clutch pedal on mine that has to be engaged also for car to start...sure there's an analogous one on autos too...they go bad.

If you had a clutch stop added, remove it and try again.

Sorry...I didn't go back to your original thread...sometimes best to keep dialogue all in one thread to make it easier on us lazy, but trying to be helpful, types!

Doug

See Facebook for upcoming shows...and listen to my podcast!

dmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 02:14 PM   #40
fijitec

i took it to dealership in seattle they just called first hour of diagnostics they found out that theres no power comming to fuel pump possibly a wire sorted out or something they are still looking