Both outside CV Joint Boots torn on 325xi - E46Fanatics E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 10-29-2008, 10:11 PM   #1
xi_ter

My Ride: 2003 325xi
Both outside CV Joint Boots torn on 325xi

I'm noticing from forum comments that not just the E46 xi but all x models are seeing a lot of torn CV Joint boots. I was swapping to winter tires and I noticed grease all over the place in the driver's front wheel area. Moving to the passenger side it was the same thing.

Both were torn in the same place - rib 2. Any experience or ideas as to why this would happen in both front wheel? This is a car I only drive to work. The CV joint is not yet clicking so the tear was recent. In the CPO warranty CV Joint boots are listed.

I'd suggest to any xi owner, feel behind the wheel and around the control arm. If you feel grease take off the tire and examine the CV joint boot. Once it's out of warranty it's a biatch of a DIY.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by xi_ter; 10-30-2008 at 12:25 AM.
xi_ter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 10:35 PM   #2
wdeerfield

My Ride: 2009 E90, 2011 F10
id get some new grease in there and slap a new boot on each quick or else you are gonna be dishing out some cash. i had mine rip and click and that was just the driver side and it set me back like $500
Old 10-29-2008, 10:55 PM   #3
TerraPhantm

My Ride: M3
Seems to be common on most awd bmws. If you go over to X5world.com, you'll see there's a bunch of people who've had torn CV boots. I know my dad's X5 and mom's 330xi both had both CV boots torn.
TerraPhantm is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-29-2008, 11:16 PM   #4
330ciandr6

My Ride: .
put 2 on an xi the other day at work...and OMG holy freakin parts mark up. cost for an axle i think was like $90 but list is like 300 or something

ABS/DSC/Brake/Airbag light on?? Click here!:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
330ciandr6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 12:05 AM   #5
ixtoxi

My Ride: 02 330xi, 88 325iX
Search this forum for info on proper lubrication of the CV joints. Much of the time, the problem is loose bands on the CV boots; this can be fixed easily. Yours is a tear in the boot, itself. You have no options but to replace the boots (reasonable DIY if you have tools, and chutzpa). If you do not replace the boots, you WILL have problems with the joints drying out and binding. If you need to replace an axle shaft, bite the bullet and go with OEM. But, monitor the condition of the boots.
ixtoxi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 12:27 AM   #6
Bimmer Dude Xi

My Ride: 03 325XI 07 ZX-6R
Send a message via AIM to Bimmer Dude Xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by 330ciandr6 View Post
put 2 on an xi the other day at work...and OMG holy freakin parts mark up. cost for an axle i think was like $90 but list is like 300 or something
I guess i'd being hitting you up for front axles in the future.

|Dinan High Flow Air Box|Eibach Pro Kit|Bilstein Sport|UUC Strut Barbarian|UUC TSE3|UUC Underdrive Pulleys|
Bimmer Dude Xi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 12:50 AM   #7
xi_ter

My Ride: 2003 325xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by ixtoxi View Post
Search this forum for info on proper lubrication of the CV joints. Much of the time, the problem is loose bands on the CV boots; this can be fixed easily. Yours is a tear in the boot, itself. You have no options but to replace the boots (reasonable DIY if you have tools, and chutzpa). If you do not replace the boots, you WILL have problems with the joints drying out and binding. If you need to replace an axle shaft, bite the bullet and go with OEM. But, monitor the condition of the boots.
The bands in my case were intact and tight. Looking at the photo of the torn CV boot, my guess is the boot design on the xi is just too small or stretched too tight in the factory. 5 years on and for me 38,000 mi later, they tear. The dealer is replacing the boots Nov 4 since my CPO warranty is still in effect - I'm hoping BMW made some design changes. i.e. slightly bigger, less sharply folded boots.

Last edited by xi_ter; 10-30-2008 at 01:45 AM.
xi_ter is offline   Reply With Quote