oil filter housing gasket - E46Fanatics E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 05-17-2011, 04:42 PM   #1
jvn_style

My Ride: E46 325i
oil filter housing gasket

Hi, I just had my oil changed and the mechanic noticed a leak. He said its coming from the oil filter housing gasket. I asked around and they quoted me $340-$360 for the part and labor. Though the gasket itself is cheap, labor is PITA as they have to remove a lot of parts to get into the gasket area. Are they quoting me fair? does anyone had this problen before? need suggestions plss.. thanks!!

Sent from my SGH-T959 using Bimmer App
Old 05-17-2011, 04:44 PM   #2
DiscoStu
Sienna Red Coupe

My Ride: 330i
Everyone with a higher mileage E46 has had this problem. The quote seems very fair, though most here would tell you to DIY. It is pretty easy to do yourself.
Old 05-17-2011, 04:54 PM   #3
dmax

My Ride: '99 328i 1.569 mu
Year: 99
Model: 328i
Transmission: 5-spd
Move PS pump to side

Remove alt

You're right at ofh...keep bolts in the same holes...different lengths.

Make sure alt is back properly.

You've just paid for all the tools you need to do it! Oh, parts cleaner for the flanges.

Many diys here on this.

Brand new unlisted vid just for you.

Mangofy your E46!
dmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-17-2011, 05:00 PM   #4
jvn_style

80k miles on it, I'll search for DIY and ask my uncle to help out. Not really confident on doin it myself I havent dealt with something like this before.. maybe someone knows a link for DIY to share.. thanks!

Old 05-17-2011, 05:40 PM   #5
dmax

If your uncle is handy, just give him my cribs!

There's one bolt on bottom of PS pump, iirc.

There are many diys on this...used advanced/title search here...or try e46 and oil filter housing gasket on youtube?

You might as well do an oil change at the same time, but know that this probably isn't an emergency...but monitor oil level anyway.

Also, as often this is where both ps fluid and ccv leak, do yourself a favor, remove underkirt, read diys on cleaning things up, and while you're going to the trouble to fix this, make sure it needs fixing and that something else down there doesn't also.

We just had a great diy on engine cleaning, hosted by the famous Delmarco. (There were guys in California really excited by Del's battery spread, but if you're new here, probably should hold off a while on checking that out...it's a little on the racey side, if you know what I mean?)

Mangofy your E46!
Old 05-17-2011, 06:55 PM   #6
lucas_pln

My Ride: 330I '05
Quote:
Originally Posted by jvn_style View Post
80k miles on it, I'll search for DIY and ask my uncle to help out. Not really confident on doin it myself I havent dealt with something like this before.. maybe someone knows a link for DIY to share.. thanks!

I just did that on Saturday - it was a breeze and I enjoyed it.
Here is very, very good link:
https://www.e46fanatics.com/forum/sho...d.php?t=657887

Make sure it is not the vanos oil banjo leaking (connected to the back of the oil filter housing). My mechanic looked at it and said it was gasket, so I bought it and DIY-ed - then, during the process I found busted vanos oil line (my gasket was actually still in tact when I removed the housing) but I replaced it anyways. I had to run to a local dealer for oil line and extra washers. DMax's advice is correct - make sure it is the gasket. As you can see even mechanics make mistakes and diagnose improperly (you can't really tell what is leaking when engine is very dirty).

I suggest you replace the vanos oil line and 4 crush washers while you are there - just couple more bucks for the parts.

Last edited by lucas_pln; 05-17-2011 at 07:00 PM.
lucas_pln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 07:03 PM   #7
jvn_style

Thanks guys, you're right I'll check other possible leaks too while in there. Great DIY too. All inputs noted thanks!
Old 05-17-2011, 07:37 PM   #8
jvn_style

Another mechanic recommends me to replace housing as well, quoting me $720+!! He said leaking continues if only gasket is replaced and not giving warranty. He even said "ask people on E46FANATICS".
Old 05-17-2011, 07:44 PM   #9
E46_330i_Stud

My Ride: 2004 330ci ZHP 6MT
Quote:
Another mechanic recommends me to replace housing as well, quoting me $720+!! He said leaking continues if only gasket is replaced and not giving warranty. He even said "ask people on E46FANATICS".

The housing doesn't need to be replaced unless its cracked. He's full of it. Replace the gasket and you should be good for 80k miles. The DIY can be done in a few hours and definitely worth saving your money over.

1995 325i 5mt ArcticGrey/Dove - SOLD
2004 330ci ZHP 6MT SilberGrau/Black - SOLD
2001 330i M-Sport 5MT StaulGrau/Grey - SOLD
1992 Accord LX Sedan 275k miles all original - DAILY
2002 Chevy Suburban LT Autoride - TOY HAULER
2005 GMC Sierra 2500HD SLT - RACE TRUCK!
E46_330i_Stud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 08:06 PM   #10
dmax

Haven't read of one housing cracked in my time here. Not saying it didn't happen, just that I don't recall ever having heard of it. Did you search here?

Mangofy your E46!
Old 05-17-2011, 08:43 PM   #11
Solidjake
Shifting

My Ride: 2013 328i 6MT
DIY, if not I wouldn't pay more than 180 to get the job done.
Solidjake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 08:53 PM   #12
bimminge46

My Ride: 323Ci, 89 325i ETA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solidjake View Post
DIY, if not I wouldn't pay more than 180 to get the job done.
its $800 at the dealer $360 is a fair price.

E30 in progress.

bimminge46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 09:02 PM   #13
LivesNearCostco

My Ride: 2003 ZHP 6MT
I would pay $340 to get it done by a good mechanic, but of course I would try to do it myself or get a better deal first. I'm guessing book time is 3.5 hours and a good mechanic could do it in 2 hours, but the trick is finding a good mechanic who is willing to charge you for only 2 hours labor. In my case, I did it myself and didn't tighten the 6 OFH bolts enough, so it kept leaking with new gasket. Went back and tightened them to about 22 foot-lbs each and the leaking stopped. I have heard of rare cases of the OFH getting warped but not of it cracking. Who knows, maybe mine is warped and that's why I had to tighten it down beyond Bentley torque spec, which I think is 14 or 16 foot-lbs.

In my case I removed the airbox, fan (manual transmission), and accessory belt so I could get to the alternator bolts. I also disconnected the P/S pump, but am not sure if that was really needed. The belt tensioner bolts to the OFH, but you don't have to remove it unless you're replacing the OFH.
LivesNearCostco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 09:20 PM   #14
jvn_style

Guys, after looking at the Lucas' DIY link, I started to see if I could do it. I had already removed the filter housing, MAF and Power steering reservoir. I stopped with the alternator. I'll ask for my uncles help and do it on sat. It doesn't look so hard when alternator is off. I'm getting the gasket tom. By d way on bavauto's website they recommend to replace seal rings on oil line when replacing gasket and maybe I'll replace vanos oil pipe too. Thanks for inputs guys
Old 05-17-2011, 09:31 PM   #15
mab436

My Ride: '05 325ci
Just had that done to my 05 325ci at 123K and it cost $380 total at Global Imports BMW of Atlanta. I saw the DIY video but figured what the hell let them get down and dirty and when it comes to engine stuff figured no need to make a mistake.
mab436 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 09:33 PM   #16
jvn_style

Quote:
Originally Posted by mab436 View Post
Just had that done to my 05 325ci at 123K and it cost $380 total at Global Imports BMW of Atlanta. I saw the DIY video but figured what the hell let them get down and dirty and when it comes to engine stuff figured no need to make a mistake.
Lol, kinda broke right now and trying to learn for future issues. can you paste link of the DIY video if you still have it? thanks
Old 05-17-2011, 09:37 PM   #17
bimminge46

My Ride: 323Ci, 89 325i ETA
book time is 6-8 hours (8 hours dealership)

E30 in progress.

bimminge46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 10:28 PM   #18
bamaguy

My Ride: 02 325i sedan
Here is another DIY (https://www.e46fanatics.com/forum/sho...d.php?t=657887) for the OFHG that was done by another forum member. It has some great pictures that I used when I did this repair myself two weeks ago. It also lists some torque specs and step by step instructions. It is not that hard a job to do if you take your time and follow the directions in the DIY's. Go to getbmwparts.com and order the gasket, the e46 oil change package and four banjo bolt washers so you can do the job yourself.

I know I will get flamed for this but I am wearing my asbestos underwear.............to help you see where the oil leak is coming from, remove the Air Filter Housing and MAF from the engine bay and remove the plastic shield from under the front of the car. Unbolt the power steering resevoir from the OFH and set it aside while the hoses are still hooked up. Next cover the altenator and Upper Air Intake tube with several plastic shopping bags. Spray down the engine block with foaming engine degreaser, let it soak for several minutes. Once this is done, spray the foam degreaser off the engine with a garden hose (this will dirty the driveway). Now, I am no expert or certified mechanic, so do this at your own risk............it helped me to diagnose that my OFHG was the source of my oil leaks in the engine bay.

If you decide to do this on your own or let the dealership do it for you, good luck.

Last edited by bamaguy; 05-17-2011 at 10:30 PM.
bamaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 11:30 PM   #19
jvn_style

just making sure is part# 11 36 1 705 532 the vanos oil line?
Old 05-18-2011, 12:50 AM   #20
LivesNearCostco

My Ride: 2003 ZHP 6MT
Dude, you're doing great so don't stop now! Take that alternator off and impress your uncle! Here's how I did it:
  • Disconnect battery negative cable (might not be necessary but I wanted to be safe)
  • Disconnect wires from back of alternator (one plastic nut, one plug)
  • Remove electric fan (for manual transmission cars) to give you more working room; requires T27 or T25 torx bit. Automatic fan requires 32mm wrench and either fan holder or sledge hammer.
  • Remove accessory belt, if you didn't already. (Usually you remove the A/C belt first, but you don't really have to)
  • Pop dust cap off idler pulley with flat blade screwdriver, as that bolt also is alternator top bolt
  • Remove idler pulley; if it's a 16mm bolt and you don't have 16mm socket, a 5/8" socket works
  • Remove lower alternator bolt; hard to see but feel around for it; probably 16mm socket
  • Rock alternator to right (drivers side), then back until it wiggles out. Usually wedged in pretty tight. Do not drop alternator!
  • Admire your OFH! Disconnect oil temp and oil pressure sensor plugs (from sensors screwed into OFH)
  • Check if you have Bosch or Valeo alternator, in case you have to replace alternator or buy underdrive pulleys later. Set aside alternator in safe place
  • Look at P/S pump, think about whether or not you need to remove it so you can decide that with your uncle

To remove VANOS oil line, you may need a box wrench, either 17mm or 19mm (I forgot). Do not do this until you have new sealing washers. If you're not replacing VANOS oil line, you only have to disconnect one end and only need two new sealing washers. If you're replacing the VANOS line, you need 4 new washers. Note which way it's connected and how it's routed to the VANOS, because the two ends are not the same and when you put it back it has to hide behind some stuff.

Quote:
Guys, after looking at the Lucas' DIY link, I started to see if I could do it. I had already removed the filter housing, MAF and Power steering reservoir. I stopped with the alternator. I'll ask for my uncles help and do it on sat. It doesn't look so hard when alternator is off. I'm getting the gasket tom. By d way on bavauto's website they recommend to replace seal rings on oil line when replacing gasket and maybe I'll replace vanos oil pipe too. Thanks for inputs guys

Last edited by LivesNearCostco; 05-18-2011 at 12:53 AM.
LivesNearCostco is offline   Reply With Quote